PDA

View Full Version : Fair testing of WB's w/aluminum?

Blackeagle
10-16-2003, 11:38 AM
I have some thoughts on this topic for those here.

Many blocks today have aluminum tops. A very few use it in other ways. Yet most testing at sites uses straight distilled water for all blocks they test, regardless if this is realistic for day to day use or not. Is not this sort of testing misleading at best?

Should not testing of all blocks making use of aluminum in any manner where it contacts the water have a blend of anti-freeze for corrosion protection? Even when they are being compared to blocks not useing aluminum and running straight distilled water?

Now I relize this would be a noticable performance hit for the blocks having aluminum tops. I would consider this a fair testing as these blocks would be tested as they would need to be run for day to day use.

And if testing were done in this manner would it not spur companys that use aluminum to reconsider its' machining cost advantage vs it's performance loss instead of just the risk to consumers systems when it corrodes?

This became more of a interest as I'm looking around for a GPU block. I'd buy the Swifty except for that aluminum top. I don't like the idea of having to degrade my coolant for the whole system to protect aginst that top. So now I'm looking at the D-Tek and Silverprop GPU blocks.

By the way does anyone know of any tests on those two GPU blocks?

What are the thoughts on this testing method vs what is done now?

Blackeagle
10-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Another question that is related.

What would you consider the minimum amount of anti-freeze to use to block corrosion?

Since87
10-16-2003, 12:00 PM
I believe Bill recently said 25% was the minimum recommended proportion of antifreeze.

However, I use Zerex Racing Super Coolant which provides the anticorrosive properties of antifreeze at 5% of the coolant volume. Time will tell whether the Zerex RSC has problems similar to Water Wetter, but no problems over the few months I've been using it.

Blackeagle
10-16-2003, 12:18 PM
5%?

Where did ya buy the Zerox stuff? And from your remarks regarding it compared to Water Wetter I'd guess it is a related product?

And it's got to be better than anti-freeze as a coolant.

Since87
10-16-2003, 12:36 PM
I got mine from Cooltechnica, but the Zerex (Valvoline) website says that it is available at Napa.

Both Water Wetter and Zerex RSC are sold for racing where glycol coolants are prohibited. (Because of slicks on the track?)

There are several other additives of this type as well, though I don't remember names off the top of my head.

Cathar
10-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Since87
Both Water Wetter and Zerex RSC are sold for racing where glycol coolants are prohibited. (Because of slicks on the track?)

Well, just to address this point. Yes, glycol based coolants are fairly often banned at various racing circuits because of the risk of causing slippery conditions if there's an accident and the radiator/reservoir bursts and leaks.

I remember at Phillip Island (fans of World Superbike and the Motorcyle Grand Prix will know which track I'm talking about) during a few ride days I attended that my bike was inspected to ensure that the coolant was basically devoid of glycol.

satanicoo
10-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Is glycol an normal alcool?
Is it better than water-wetter for cooling?

Blackeagle
10-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Glycol = anti-freeze

Blackeagle
10-17-2003, 01:19 PM
I guess one question that comes to my mind is this.

Is the anti corrosive being sold by Swiftech just another form of Water Wetter then, or is it something else?

BillA
10-17-2003, 02:57 PM
something else

satanicoo
10-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Is the anti corrosive being sold by Swiftech the best stuff we can put there (cooling wise)?

BillA
10-17-2003, 04:40 PM
no documented answer that I am aware of
all tests that I have seen are crap

if someone knows of a valid comparative test, post a link

t00lb0x
10-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Why not someone here make the test?