PDA

View Full Version : Testing bench help

WAJ_UK
11-07-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm going to set up a test bench for testing my water block designs for my university project. Showing how experimental data relates to theoretical data. The uni labs are well equiped I have access to most equipment needed and the uni will order any other items I require :D. But here is where I come unstuck. I would like a way to accurately mount the water block to the die simulator but most I have seem do not seem to achieve this. I was thinking of someting along the same lines as pictured ( sorry for the dodgy pic, no CAD at home :( ). I was thinking I could have the heater supported on matched springs and tighten the waterblock down on top of it down to the reference block, where the loading should be correct. What do you guys think is wrong with the idea, do you think it will work in principle?
thanks for your help

Gooserider
11-09-2003, 09:25 PM
I discussed a theoretical possibility
here (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7814) that seems like one way to address the consistent mounting pressure question. It still leaves the TIM goop application issue open, but I don't have any ideas on that other than possibly a specified drill of cleaning each surface a particular way, then applying a pre-measured amount of goop in a specified manner. (This might not be the 'optimal' method, but I see repeatability as more critical)

Gooserider

WAJ_UK
11-10-2003, 03:07 AM
Cheers for the link but I already read the thread. Searched through tons of stuff on these forums. I thought spring loading might be the best way to go to get repeatable mounting. I just thought I would post this idea and see if anyone could find a problem with it. Instead of going through all the hassle of constructing it and finding that it does not work

BillA
11-10-2003, 09:51 AM
ask JoeC on ocers
he has a 'postage scale' method which is giving good results

WAJ_UK
11-11-2003, 01:30 AM
that sounds interesting I'll be sure to do that thank you, Hopefully I'll be able to get this all sorted and my blocks made by christmas

Gooserider
11-11-2003, 08:26 PM
WAJ_UK:
Cheers for the link but I already read the thread. Searched through tons of stuff on these forums. I thought spring loading might be the best way to go to get repeatable mounting. I just thought I would post this idea and see if anyone could find a problem with it. Instead of going through all the hassle of constructing it and finding that it does not work

No prob, glad to know you saw it. It was the only way I could think of to easily ensure a consistent, repeatable force on the cooling joint. Seems to me like there are to many variations in mounting methods and block shapes / dimensions to easily do a simple, consistent method of bolting the block down from the top onto a fixed die. The only constant that I can see is the cooling surface itself. By indexing that surface to a fixed location and bringing an unchanging movable die against it, then it should be easier to get consistency.

Of course, I haven't tried building such a contraption (nor am I likely to since testing is mostly just a theoretical interest to me at this time), so there may be a 'gotcha' that I haven't seen in my proposal.

Gooserider