PDA

View Full Version : We actually do like DangerDen

Brians256
11-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Well, it has come to my attention that some think we might not like DangerDen. Phooey. They happen to have a great business model, make decent blocks and make them in quantity. DangerDen has not always held the crown in performance, but I'll say that their stock and selection is always solid. They sold all the good stuff like Eheim pumps when many sites well pushing Rio. They sold Tygon when many people were using clear vinyl. They offered a modified heatercore when many were using high-impedance and lower surface area tranny oil coolers. Good stuff.

Do I think that they should have acknowledged their design debt? Probably. But they are still, overall, a good company. If they ever offered to let me tour their machine shop factory, I'd still jump at the chance, since I live about an hour (I think) from them.

Have I bought stuff from them? Yes. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

Nuff said.

zoson
11-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Word. All this arguing about design is silly. We know where credit is due here.

Patents are filed for intellectual property, and the property of intellect in these cases would be limited to the specific design filed with the patent office. For the simple fact stated by many that the patent office would NOT grant a patent for drilling holes or cutting fins into a copper block in this fashion. Had there been NO previous attempts at ideas like this (which I think you all will agree there are numerous) THEN this could have been an issue. But because these blocks were released in a public place, no patent can be filed on the implementation.

Thus, regardless if there was a patent filed on the whitewater or cascade (which there is not), this block would NOT be the same in the patent office's eyes.

So lets all just get along. I for one plan on buying this block from DD to compare against my roommate's whitewater because it looks like a good implementation of several technologies...
-Zoson

pHaestus
11-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Personally I'd really like to have one of the original LRWW blocks from Cathar himself. They were too expensive to import back in the day though and I doubt I could find one for sale now.

Dangerden has always made solid products. I have owned Maze2,3,and 4 and have been quite happy with all of them.

BillA
11-08-2003, 02:20 PM
I would that all 'our' competitors were as responsable as DD
and a side note:
when (and if) the day ever comes that there is a 'US standards group' wrt WCing;
there will be only 2 mfgrs of significance, DD and Swiftech
- so until you WBTA guys can get Jeremy to participate, you are dead in the water

pHaestus, want a loaner ?

decodeddiesel
11-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Dangerden is a model for small buisness on the internet as well as a benchmark for others in the industry. One simply cannot mention watercooling without mention of Dangerden. I personally have owned many of their products, a DD Cube (anyone remember that thing?), a MAZE 1, a MAZE 2, a MAZE 2-1, and I purchased my Eheim 1250 from them.

Likewise I have also been trying to follow Cathars work as best I can ever since I read about LRWW on OCAU last year. To say the least, Cathar is a very creative thinker and his solutions are unique and very interesting. I believe he is truely one of the pioneers who is breathing life into our beloved hobby. He deserves the credit and accolade for his work. As far as WB design goes, I have wondered about a hybrid LRWW and Cascade and now I guess the answer is laying right before my eyes.

That said I have been following the recent events as best I can from my current vantage (7k miles away or so). Ethically I would not have done things as Dangerden appears to have done them, but then again I am not trying to keep a buisness afloat. I feel they have attempted to utilize some current designs that WORK and bring them together into a waterblock that will make up for the MAZE 4. I do however feel that some mention or consultation with the source SHOULD have occured.

To be honest, there is no way in hell I can afford 2 cascades for the SMP rig I am building when I get home. As it stands the RBX provides a MUCH less expensive alternative, domestically produced block. The RBX apparently performs well and I feel with some design tweaks it could be a major player in the current and future product field. This is a BIG step up in performance for DD from the MAZE 3 and the MAZE 4, and I believe this will put them back at the top for watercooling manufactures.

bigben2k
11-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by unregistered
I would that all 'our' competitors were as responsable as DD
and a side note:
when (and if) the day ever comes that there is a 'US standards group' wrt WCing;
there will be only 2 mfgrs of significance, DD and Swiftech
- so until you WBTA guys can get Jeremy to participate, you are dead in the water

I think that's a bit presumptuous, but thanks for the tip. Now for some JFKage...

jaydee
11-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Well the competition is good for the buyers. The D-Tek/Cathars White Water has dropped to $50.00.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/product.asp?3=106

pHaestus
11-10-2003, 06:46 PM
excellent. I may just pick one up...

UnaClocker
12-09-2003, 09:40 PM
I went bungee jumping with the guys from DangerDen. They're pretty down to earth guys. :)

jaydee
12-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by UnaClocker
I went bungee jumping with the guys from DangerDen. They're pretty down to earth guys. :)
Where the hell have you been? I heard nasty rumors... :D

UnaClocker
12-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Rumors? Heh. I've been busy with automotive related things.

pHaestus
01-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Villagers demand a real update Mr redneck case designer!