PDA

View Full Version : Is my RIO 180 waterpump too weak?

BrokeASUstudent
05-02-2001, 03:24 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums, and would like to know if you could give me some advice. My setup below is a MAZE2, Aquacoil Rad, and BeCooling Reservior w/ RIO 180, 118gph pump. My temps are 25C idle and 37C full load. I would like to know if getting a more powerful pump like the RIO 1100 or 1400 (350gph - 425gph) would help to lower my load temps.

Thanks in advance,

http://brokeasustudent.homestead.com/files/WatercoolFinal.jpg

jimsnyder
05-02-2001, 09:29 PM
Yeah, about 350 to 400 seems to work the best on systems people have published on the web. Don't forget that that is real flow, not just what the pump is rated at. Small diameter tubing, fittings, or radiator passages will add resistamce to the flow and drop the rate.

BrokeASUstudent
05-02-2001, 10:06 PM
Okay, thanks. I'll order a RIO 1100. What type of brass fittings will I need to go on there? I know one end will be 3/8", but what about the other end? Is there one that will fit perfectly into the pump?

Scott
05-02-2001, 10:28 PM
BrokeASUstudent,

I was thinking of getting a Dangerden waterblock and the Aquacoil Radiator. what size fittings did the waterblock need so they would work together (I heard that the ddcube has smaller pipes then the aquacoil one)?

Also, are you happy with that radiator?

n00b
05-03-2001, 01:00 AM
Stay away from Rio pumps like the plague man.

Read this thread and you'll understand why: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=135688

BrokeASUstudent
05-03-2001, 01:32 AM
The Aquacoil is a good rad for me so far, my only complaint is that it didn't come with any hose hookups on the copper pipes, so I had to use hoseclamps. The DD MAZE2 came with 3/8" brass hookups.

Memphis
05-03-2001, 11:10 PM
If you can afford it, go the Eheim.

I have a RIO 800 that works fine. To stop the noise from the Rio pumps, remove the impeller and superglue all the vanes pointing straight out. Also superglue the impeller so it can no longer rotate 180 degrees around its axis.

The 180 degree rotation is to help the pump start up. In five months of operating my setup, the pump has failed to startup only once. Easily rectified too. Turn it off then turn it on. Failing that, give it a shake!

Once again, save a few more pennies if you can to purchase an Eheim.

Cheers

Memphis

BrokeASUstudent
05-04-2001, 12:31 AM
Well, I have plenty of pennies, but I don't have a clue as to how to get brass fittings to fit into the pump. Can you clue me in on exactly what size fittings I'll need, and where to get them? Thanks.

imagex
05-05-2001, 12:42 PM
I found that homedepot has just about all the the fitting you could want."with out waiting for the mail man" :)

BrokeASUstudent
05-05-2001, 05:42 PM
Okay, just got a Danner MagDrive 350gph pump. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to use as a reservior. I'm using a 1 gallon plastic jug right now. I want to be able to fit the reservior in my case, so I'm going to Target tonight to see what kind of Rubbermaid stuff they have.

Memphis
05-06-2001, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by BrokeASUstudent:
Well, I have plenty of pennies, but I don't have a clue as to how to get brass fittings to fit into the pump. Can you clue me in on exactly what size fittings I'll need, and where to get them? Thanks.

Considering you have the MagDrive pump you may or may not still be interested in the fittings...

Just put the Rio into the reservoir. I use a cylindrical container with screw down lid. The brass fittings go through the top of the container and are held in place with a piece of aluminium (in hindsight, brass would have better :)No corrosion!) It goes brass fitting thread through the lid and screwed into the aluminium. Holds fittings in place nicely.

Then use a barbed fitting with female thread on the other end with a short piece of tubing to connect it to the pump. Easy!

Cheers

Memphis

BrokeASUstudent
05-07-2001, 02:50 PM
Thanks Memphis. Works like a charm. Dropped my temps a bit too :cool:

Memphis
05-10-2001, 10:18 PM
Just noticed there has been a bit of an explosion in the use of this trick...

hardforums
overclockers.com
theres even a howto with pics!

Just to quote the right people, I originally got the howto from MWP at overclockers australia.

I also noticed Joe mentioned the chattering noise is caused by air bubbles. Mostly true there...

When you are a cheap assed bastard (like I was :) ) and get a Rio800, the noise is definitely not from air bubbles. I bashed the crap out of that pump to get rid of bubbles. It was upside down in the sink etc. run for a couple of hours and was still just as noisy! Basically, the Rio800 is crap. On a positive note, at least you know its working!

The impeller trick worked perfectly for the Rio800 and now its just a low hum.

Cheers

Memphis