PDA

View Full Version : Back to work?

pHaestus
01-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Seems like most people are starting off a new work year today after the holidays. Personally I am still off until Thursday and enjoying the warm weather of Louisiana. It was -44(F or C doesn't much matter) with the wind chill at my house yesterday, but it was mid 60s (18C or so?) here.

Over the holidays I received a Dtek and LR Whitewater kindly loaned from nikhsub1 (thanks!) and a aquajoe block in the mail. I ran through cascade tests right before I left Canada and of course my final test run was about 1.5C better than the previous 9 tests. I think I know why (slightly increased thermal paste thickness in the last run) and so I will spend Thursday-Saturday retesting the Cascade after returning home. I have 2 weeks all alone whilst wife and kids soak up more warm weather so I plan to get a LOT of testing done.

ndtinker
01-05-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm back at work today and its a chilly 35*F or so out. It was 71*F yesterday here in Tennessee! It cooled way down overnight.

KnightElite
01-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Bastage.... It is really cold here ;).

Good to see you're enjoying the vacation though.

N8
01-06-2004, 12:27 PM
I was supposed to be back at work yesterday (Monday), but when I got home from a couple weeks vacation Sunday afternoon, it was so damn cold that the main water line into the house was frozen. -15 F for the low, the high was some stupid thing like 2 F. The foot of snow that fell on the roads is so cold and compacted that the plows can't scrape it up. Now we are supposed to get another 6 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. This sucks. Had to take Monday off to deal with thawing out the water line. Nice to have working toilets and water again, so back to work today.

pHaestus
01-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I hope I don't share your fate N8. It has been damn cold in Saskatchewan in my absence and I left the house unattended. I have to remember to contact neighbors tomorrow to turn heat back up in our house; I left it at 10C...

Blackeagle
01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
pH,

If the neighbor can't keep a close eye on the house as it warms, I'd leave it alone.

If a line has frozen in the house and he turns the heat up to say 23c or so, it may thaw the line and then................... :cry:

Not a very cheerfull thought I know, but would hate to have you get home to worse than a frozen pipe.

Was -16c here this morning in Michigan.

Enjoy the warmth while ya can man! :cool:

pHaestus
01-08-2004, 02:01 AM
Don't think it is a problem. Neighbor must have forgotten, but it was still between 12 and 15C in the house even with no heat for 2 weeks. Guess the insulation is tolerable.