PDA

View Full Version : New Matrix Orbital LCD: MX4

pHaestus
03-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Henry at Matrix Orbital sent me one of their new line of LCDs: the MX4. I played with it for about 2 hours today and thought I'd post a couple of teaser pics and initial experiences. First of all, what is an MX4? This is MO's new LCD that features: 4 lines, 4 fan headers, 6 DOW temp headers, and a new bay insert that takes up 2 5.25" bays. Here's a pic of the unit running:

http://phaestus.procooling.com/mx4b.jpg

I had some issues with the MX212 I when I reviewed it here. (http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/matrix_orbital_mx212_vs_crysta.php) The problems were with the unit's powering up fans at startup and with the PWM control being noisy. I am happy to report that EVERY issue I had with my MX212 was fixed flawlessly with the MX4. The MX4 powers up fans at 100% by default at system boot, and the digital baybus settings now smoothly PWM the fans rather than having any annoying shifts in fan speed. I am going to have to come up with something else to complain about other than the Digital baybus features of this unit.

Expect a full review as soon as Joe can post it. The product isn't listed on Matrix Orbital's site yet but I suspect it'll be for sale very soon. Here's a final pic (of the backside):

http://phaestus.procooling.com/mx4a.jpg

pHaestus
03-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Here's a pic of the MX4 installed into my Lian Li with their aluminum bay cover:

http://phaestus.procooling.com/mx4pc50.jpg

Yes it looks great :)

KnightElite
03-18-2004, 02:07 PM
How do you use the buttons with that bay cover?

pHaestus
03-18-2004, 02:19 PM
You can't. The buttons are just mapped to actions of the software though so you aren't losing any core functionality.

TerraMex
03-18-2004, 04:36 PM
... and you win on the purdy factor.
Can't say i like those buttons.

Anyway, what's the max power per fan channel ?
And what are those two rows of jumpers for..? :)

pHaestus
03-18-2004, 04:52 PM
On watts per fan channel, Matrix Orbital CSR says 12 but people have pushed them to 15. I have tried out some large fans (92mm Tornado) so at least 12.5W.

The rows of jumpers are actually headers for plugging in items for power/control. I have a 3 LED indicator that you can set via software to light up/flash/strobe/etc on certain events (you've got mail...disco style!)

TerraMex
03-18-2004, 06:32 PM
hehe. Right.
Thanks.

stigmata
03-22-2004, 03:51 AM
hi
i like that thing, i like it very much! :D
i have a 92mm tornado and i see you've connected that beast to the MX4... but for how much time? i fear that it will damage the MX4 if connected for a long time... expecially if the tornado is set on 7v or less

thanx!

ps sorry for my english :(

pHaestus
03-22-2004, 12:47 PM
well I am not an EE but my experience is that traces and components will either handle the fan or they'll burn up. I've burned up a few fan headers in my time and it was always right away and never gradual.

MadHacker
03-22-2004, 01:07 PM
it looks nice...
to bad it needs to take up 2 CDRom drive bays
the display isn't that much bigger...
and with some carful rearanging they could make the the controller card on 2 cards and still have it fit in one bay...

TerraMex
03-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Here's anther question. Would it fit in two 3.5" FDD bays ?

MadHacker
03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Here's anther question. Would it fit in two 3.5" FDD bays ?
the display part would...
might even fit in 1 3.5" bay..
so with some modding.. just remove the display from the pannel and attach longer wires... then it would fit anywhere :) (almost)

TerraMex
03-22-2004, 01:49 PM
I've seen enough 20x4 LCD displays to say that it wont fit in one. It wont even fit in one cdrom bay. The PCB is too big.

iggiebee
03-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I am very interested in this device, but have two questions (please):

1) Could the software provided be used to issue commands to another program (i.e. Shutdown Now) based on readings of sensors attached to the device?

2) Is this device compatible with other software such as Mother Board Monitor (MBM)?

TIA

MadHacker
03-22-2004, 01:51 PM
I've seen enough 20x4 LCD displays to say that it wont fit in one. It wont even fit in one cdrom bay. The PCB is too big.
disconnect the PCB, use longer wires and mount the PCB elsewhere

Hallis
04-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Now that is definately a combersom piece of hardware. I think id rather opt for a 2'nd revision of the MX2 with concerns addressed than that MX4 Monster. I think the guys at MO are running out of ideas. They should come out with an answer to Crystalfontz's new 3 1/2" LCD bay setup, Now that little sweetie is impressive.

pHaestus
04-12-2004, 01:25 PM
I have a few more little tests to do of this unit and I'll get a review up probably Thursday or so.

friku
01-14-2005, 12:54 PM
pHaestus:

The display can control de fans over the temps measured by the probes? I mean, more temp on one probe>more rpms on one fan.

If so, is there a way to asign two temp probes to one fan?

Thanks in advance.
friku

pHaestus
01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I can't think of any way to do this. You can control multiple fans with one temp probe easily enough, but I can't come up off the top of my head with a way to control a single fan header with multiple probes. Perhaps you could write an equation to take the average of the two probes and then control the header with that or write an equation to check that none of the probes were above a certain temperature. I'm really not sure though sorry.

MadHacker
01-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I myself use LCDC software.
the software doesn't support arithmetic itself but there is a plugin called
"CAL" that does support basic math.
here is the URL http://www.plasticrandom.net/plugins.php?action=viewplugin&pid=26
I hope this helps