PDA

View Full Version : some questions for a bench of test of waterblocks (french inside) ^^

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Hello,

first, I am French and I must say that I do not speak English very well thus you do not panic if I ask you to reformulate such or such sentence.

I thus have some questions has to pose to you for a possible bench of test of waterblock. It is only one project, I thus get information for the moment.

First of all, which has to be the max head which this pump under good conditions should have ? 3,0 m approximately ? more ?

I also have some questions concerning your measuring units

has what corresponds this unit => GPH. Is this a unit of flow equivalent to L/hours ?

And what is your unit of pressure ?

Thanks for your answer.

PS : I am a beginner so do not criticize me too much lol :-p

Precarious
04-11-2004, 05:21 AM
Hello,

first, I am French and I must say that I do not speak English very well thus you do not panic if I ask you to reformulate such or such sentence.

I thus have some questions has to pose to you for a possible bench of test of waterblock. It is only one project, I thus get information for the moment.

First of all, which has to be the max head which this pump under good conditions should have ? 3,0 m approximately ? more ?

I also have some questions concerning your measuring units

has what corresponds this unit => GPH. Is this a unit of flow equivalent to L/hours ?

And what is your unit of pressure ?

Thanks for your answer.

PS : I am a beginner so do not criticize me too much lol :-p
GPH = gallon/hours
Gallon to Liter (http://www.escapeartist.com/Conversions/Gallons_Liters.html)

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 05:45 AM
Thank you Precarious for this answer

KnightElite
04-11-2004, 05:50 AM
Pressure can be measured in lb/square inch, kPa, mm of mercury, bar, ATM, etc... not sure which is most frequently used for waterblock testing.

As to the max head of the pump, it depends on the pump. Checking the pump datasheet, and/or the manufacturer's website should give you the listed max head for your model of pump.

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 06:00 AM
the max head of my pomp is 2,9 m

It's a iwaki MD 40 (62lpm and 2,9 of max head) but I wanted to know if it were sufficient to make rather thorough tests (= good tests)

Is 2,9 max head sufficient and good ?

OvcA
04-11-2004, 08:19 AM
SI unit for volume flow is m^3/s and Pa for pressure, while in watercooling l/h and bar are usualy used (non-metric units are quite awful and should phaseout as soon as possible).

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 09:39 AM
thx OvcA ;)

And for the Iwaki ? Is max head good for testing waterblocks ?

OvcA
04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
thx OvcA ;)

And for the Iwaki ? Is max head good for testing waterblocks ?
Iwakis are nice since they can pump against quite a pressure. Probably the best "standard" (of resonable size, price and noise level) watercooling pumps around.

bigben2k
04-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Bonjour!

3 metres, c'est relativement court, mais ca devrait te permettre de tester la plupart des blocs. Pour une analyse complete, tu devrais viser de tester tous les blocs au meme flo, soit 0.5, 1.0 1.5 et meme 2.0 gpm, si tu le peux. A ce point, tu aurais peut etre besoin d'une meilleure pompe, parce que certain blocs ont une resistance elevée Ã* 2.0 gpm

J'ai ouvert un site specifiquement pour les gens qui veulent ameliorer leurs methodes de tests (ci-bas, dans ma signature). Si ca t'interesse, tu est le bienvenue pour nous joindre!

Benoit

[translation below, for the french impaired ;) ]

Hi!

3 metres, that's a bit short, but it should allow you to test most blocks. For a complete test, you should aim to test every block at 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and even 2.0 gpm, if you can. At that point though, you might need a bigger pump, because some blocks are very restrictive at 2.0 gpm.

I started a site specifically for people who want to get into testing (below in my sig): you're more than welcome to join!

Ben

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 12:58 PM
merci beaucoup bigben

Thanks ;)

je vais faire un grand tour sur ton site lol

OvcA
04-11-2004, 01:12 PM
When using G/H, which gallons are we talking about, US or imperial?

bigben2k
04-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Eh, US. The one that's 3.76 liters (imperial is ~4.5 L).

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 01:49 PM
1L = 0.264 Gallon non ?

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 01:54 PM
bigben, tu es français ?
euh j'ai vu ton site mais il n'y a pas grand chose apparement....
A moins que je me soit trompé....

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 02:00 PM
with the fact, which does want to say PSI ?

au fait, que veut dire PSI ?

Roscal
04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Google bourdel :D

C'est mal barré monsieur Therin LOL

BB2K parle un peu francais mais l'est pas francais :D

OvcA
04-11-2004, 02:16 PM
1L = 0.264 Gallon non ?
Yes.

with the fact, which does want to say PSI ?

au fait, que veut dire PSI ?

PSI - Pound per Square Inch
It's an unit for pressure, albeit a weird one since it conseals the fact that pressure is force per surface unit.

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 02:22 PM
rosco => ba apparement la pompe c'est pas mal mais pas assez pour la hauteur d'eau.... Je suis un peu dégoutté lol

En plus l'anglais et moi ça fait 2 lol

Google j'ai fait des recherches et j'ai trouvé pas mal de trucs sur procooling justement

ici également : http://www.leesspace.com/Testing.htm
et lÃ* : http://thermal-management-testing.com/

Ainsi que d'autres sur overclockeurs.com etc... mais je m'apperçoit que c'est assez difficile quand même mais c'est pas grave, ça me donne encore plus l'envie ^^

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 02:25 PM
je pense que 3.5-4.0 m de hauteur d'eau maximale est un minimum pour tester des waterblocks

I think that 3.5-4.0 m of max head is a minimum for testing wb

bigben2k
04-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Non Roscal, je suis effectivement francais, a moins que tu as quelque chose contre le Canada? :P ;) Canadien-francais, l'anglais c'est ma deuxième langue...

LiCoolSolution, une option: deux pompes...

Aussi, j'ai personellement choisi d'utiliser une pompe DC (au lieu de AC) pour la capacite d'ajuster le flo par voltage, et non pas par valves.

As-tu visité la section "Forum"? ( forums.wbta.us ). C'est seulement ouvert depuis Octobre, et de toute facon, c'est mieux quand c'est tranquille! ;)

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 03:00 PM
effectivement j'ai regardé un peu le forum mais bon, il n'y a pas grand chose en français lol ;)

c'est normal me diras tu :)

Pour l'option de 2 pompes ça n'augmentera pas la hauteur d'eau.... enfin je pense pas

Juste le débit non ?

bigben2k
04-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Non, tout au contraire. Arrange deux pompes en serie, et tu auras plus de pression (meme debit). Arrange les pompes en parallèlle, et tu auras plus de debit (meme pression).

Roscal
04-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Tu parles un peu bizarre pour un francais/canadien je trouve :D ;)

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 03:41 PM
moi je trouve pas :D

bigben2k
04-11-2004, 03:56 PM
he he... ;)

Groth
04-11-2004, 06:52 PM
It surreal to need Babelfish on ProCooling. I like what it does to Ben's sig. :)

Personally, I would say 5 m of head minimum. That gives you extra pressure to be used for flowmeter, pressure sensors, and thermometers. It is better to have a too powerful pump.

For units, I suggest working in L/minute and mH2O (meters of water). Both are common in waterblock reveiws, both are a good size, both are easy for people to visualize.

What website will publish your waterblock testing?

pauldenton
04-11-2004, 07:02 PM
the max head of my pomp is 2,9 m

It's a iwaki MD 40 (62lpm and 2,9 of max head) but I wanted to know if it were sufficient to make rather thorough tests (= good tests)

Is 2,9 max head sufficient and good ?

si vous avez une MD40, elle est plus fort que ca - 2,9M est une MD-30RX...
une MD-40R est 4.6M max head et 45lpm, une MD-40RX est 3,3M max head et 75lpm.
http://www.iwakipumps.jp/products_e/pdf/w_pdf/md_w2003.pdf

les iwaki avec "x" ne sont pas ideale pour nous, parce qu'ils sont pour l'haut flux

(i hope this makes sense, i haven't written anything in french for over 20 years...)

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 07:16 PM
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bruno.therin/DSCN3516.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bruno.therin/DSCN3518.jpg

It is 2,9 max head at 50hz. Damage for me if at least 5m is needed ...

Thx Groth for your answer ;)

It is for a french web site but it is not either for immediately

Which pump advise me then ? (an iwaki)

With what does correspond the L on some of the pumps iwaki ? for exemple MD-15RLT Iwaki Pump or MD-70RLT Iwaki Pump

Thank you very much =)

pauldenton
04-11-2004, 07:58 PM
[IMG]

It is 2,9 max head at 50hz. Damage for me if at least 5m is needed ...

Thx Groth for your answer ;)

It is for a french web site but it is not either for immediately

Which pump advise me then ? (an iwaki)

With what does correspond the L on some of the pumps iwaki ? for exemple MD-15RLT Iwaki Pump or MD-70RLT Iwaki Pump

Thank you very much =)

weird - it has the same performance as a 30rx, but uses slightly more power.... it also doesn't seem to mention iwaki on the label which seems odd ...

"L" indicates it's a 115V pump (bad news for us europeans therefore...)
"T" indicates threaded connections on the inlet and outlet

bigben2k
04-11-2004, 08:43 PM
50 Hz users suffer a performance hit, over 60 Hz users... sucks to be french! ;)

LiCoolSolution
04-11-2004, 09:42 PM
it is hard to live in France sometimes :D

prandtl
04-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Damage for me
Damage for you, yea! lol - "too bad for you" is better i think ;)
désolé, mais c'était plus fort que moi!
domage pour toi, car tu auras Ã* acheter une nouvelle pompe, quoique je doute fort de l'utilité d'effectuer des tests de wbs Ã* plus de 1.5gpm, la plupart des gens ont beaucoup moins que ça avec leur "setup", plus aux environs de 1.0gpm. Mais comme BigBen l'a dit, une pompe DC est peut-être préférable compte tenue de la facilité avec laquelle on peut faire varier leur débit...

bigben2k
04-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Oui. L'utilité de tester Ã* 0.5, 1.0 et 1.5 gpm te donnerais trois point, pour établir la courbe de resistance-débit du bloc. Un quatrième point aiderait pour confirmer la courbe, parce que tu auras besoin de trois points pour determiner la courbe. Mais tu as toujours 0,0 come point de reference...

[tsl] Yes. The usefulness of testing at 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 gpm would give you three points with which to establish the flow resistance curve. A fourth point would help in confirming it, because you'll always need three points to figure out the curve. Then again, you always have 0@0...