PDA

View Full Version : pHrocooling

Joe
04-22-2004, 01:06 PM
As the cryptic title says, pH is ProCooling now. He runs the show!

Since my MWL project (www.MidWestLAN.com ) has taken off with unexpected results and also an unexpected workload, I helped get pH setup a couple weeks ago so he can take over posting/editing/and overall maintaining of the ProCooling site.

My love/interest for PC and the Cooling scene is not at all gone. After 4+ years of running ProCooling (some would argue how much "running" happened in the last year) I just didn’t have the drive to put more time into this hobby when I had other interests and business opportunities to explore.

The hobbies that are replacing my time normally spent on ProCooling are racing high end Nitro R/C cars off road and on road this summer, Running MWL and expanding MWL all the rest of the time. That and working a fulltime job.

I still own the ProCooling site, the server that the site runs on, and take responsibility for keeping the site online. I have no intention of changing that. We have a good reader base, excellent forums full of some of the best cooling info on the web, and some of the smartest readers I have ever talked to. pH and I are keeping ProCooling going for you guys.

A big thanks goes to Derek (pH) for taking the reigns of this beast and running with it. This isn’t to say you wont see me post anything ever again, but for now I am going to enjoy some other parts of life :)

One thing to note is that on an "as I get time" basis I am continue'n to work on a solid plan for the recode of the PC website and the conversion of the many many pages of data on the site to dynamic DB driven goodness. I am putting most code time into MWL since I am refining an LAN Event Management System/Registration System that already is second to none for features.

So thats that!

BillA
04-22-2004, 01:14 PM
a thanks Joe, the site is kinda unique
Regards, Bill

pHaestus
04-22-2004, 02:00 PM
I would probably just vanish from online activity if it weren't for the people here in the forums. I've never seen such a well-educated and experienced group of people in any other active online community. Joe you really have to take credit for keeping an atmosphere where the technically-minded (and often tact-challenged) can congregate and discuss and feel at home.

TerraMex
04-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Definitely not the "average Joe". ;)
We, on this side, don't usually know the volume of work and time needed.
But I , at least, appreciate it.

bigben2k
04-22-2004, 04:31 PM
To me, this site is almost as addicting as smoking... :B

I just hope it doesn't get renamed "Frocooling"... ;)

Joe
04-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Speaking of FroCooling

I believe this is pH on his trip down south :)
http://www.desertdomes.com/pics/mardigras02/afro.jpg

hehehe

dacooltech
04-22-2004, 05:30 PM
pH: I would probably just vanish from online activity if it weren't for the people here in the forums. I've never seen such a well-educated and experienced group of people in any other active online community. Joe you really have to take credit for keeping an atmosphere where the technically-minded (and often tact-challenged) can congregate and discuss and feel at home.

You are the man Joe :dome:

I certainly double that :)

CoolTechnica was pretty much formed over at Pro/Forums, so I always feel at home here :D

But still don't get why we sound like you're going somewhere... are you changing dimensions or something?

pHaestus
04-22-2004, 05:37 PM
OMG OMG! He's going on Atkins!

Joe
04-22-2004, 07:41 PM
I was thinking, the slogan of the site should be "ProCooling - Tact just gets in the way"

Joe
04-22-2004, 07:42 PM
You are the man Joe :dome:

I certainly double that :)

CoolTechnica was pretty much formed over at Pro/Forums, so I always feel at home here :D

But still don't get why we sound like you're going somewhere... are you changing dimensions or something?

hehe Thx Bruce :D

and no my fat ass aint going no where, just here in my seat with a beer as usual ;)

jaydee
04-22-2004, 07:55 PM
I have cetainly have become "tact" challenged over the years. In fact I just lost it at AMDMB/PCPERSPECTIVE. The co-founder of pcperspective keeps trying to LIE and say their new site is geared towards QUALITY. What a load. I keep calling them on this and they keep lying. I tell them they are in it for the QUANTITY and not QULAITY and they lie and say I am full of it. If that is the case them why do all of their reviews have links (note links that they get paid for) to those products? Why is the average post in their forums less the average for even a newb? Why do they have 70,000 members and still no real "enthusiest" crowd? What a joke. They even admit they are trying to make a living off the site. You just can't do that and have QUALITY at the SAME time. Well I digress....

THIS site should be an example of how to get QUALITY members and not quantity. It is very dificult to find a site such as this that cuts the BS and calls out the ignorant. Try that at AMDMB and you will get a warning. :rolleyes: BS is ALLOWED and PROMOTED on those sites in order to keep the newbs flowing in and clicking all the links. Then they have the balls to blantantly LIE about it when you call them on their "we strive for quality BS".

Anyway glad to se pH handling things. There is at least hope for this site not selling out.

Quote from pelly, co-founder and previous editor of [H]

Actually, I'd say Arvig was dead-on with his post...and I certainly think I know what I'm talking about.

Let's get one thing painfaully clear...The only thing Ryan and I care about is bringing the same quality of content and community seen in AMDMB and applying that to the rest of the industry with no loss in depth or merit. To secure product allocation, develop vendor relations, develop content, edit content, organize the release of content, and attend all the important events takes time...Enough time that it cannot be done at the highest level if you are juggling a full-time job outside the website. Make no msitake, neither Ryan or I drive a Porsche and we don't live in fancy houses on the shore. Enough with the whole, "they're doing it to get rich" conspiracy theory because that couldn't be further from the truth.

In the end, PCP has 99.9% of all the redeeming qualities of AMDMB and adds a tremendous amount of new content and areas of focus. The people are the same, the quality is the same, but the colors and name are different. If you can't deal with that, your problems are well beyond the help of anyone in these forums...

Remember foks, a LOT of work went into this website...Give time for us to take your advice and hear your concerns before making a final judgement...
What a load....

jaydee
04-22-2004, 07:57 PM
I was thinking, the slogan of the site should be "ProCooling - Tact just gets in the way"
Hehe, Like it! :D

pHaestus
04-22-2004, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the shift from AthlonMB to AMDMB to PCPerspective. As you said they'd like to make a living off their work and having a name that is synonymous with "fanboy" isn't the best way to do so. We are fortunate in that no one who works at Procooling has any plans to try and make money off the site. Fortunate because it helps with objectivity, and fortunate because there's no money in it :)

jaydee
04-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Fortunate because it helps with objectivity, and fortunate because there's no money in it :)
As it should be with a REAL enthusiast site.

Also I have no problem with them making a living off their work (hell I plan to someday) but their product isn't worth what they say/think it is and certainly not worth my time anymore as with the hundreds of sites that resemble it. Pretty sad really to see things deteriorate as they have.

Joe
04-22-2004, 09:31 PM
just FYI: Heres a thread about the R/C stuff I am deep into :)

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=107736

gone_fishin
06-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Thank you Joe and pHaestus, and enjoy them new hobbies. Does going out for beers after lan events or racing have anything to do with it?

Also, What the **** is tact?
:D

Arcturius
07-31-2004, 06:56 PM
Also, What the **** is tact?
:D

I think that's what you use to fasten carpet down. ;)
But carpet is overrated; it takes too long to dry out after leak testing. :D

bigben2k
07-31-2004, 07:16 PM
Oh by the way pHaestus, I added this smilie in the WBTA forums, just for you ;)

BillA
07-31-2004, 10:03 PM
yup, the basics first