PDA

View Full Version : VapoChill XE on AMD FX-53------ What do you think?

crasherGS
06-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Hey guys, I have a question. First off id like to say Ive bought soo many cooling systems and none made me happy. Exos, Zalman reserator, Coolermaster, Corsair, they all sucked. Well i returned the last one which was 300 dllrs, the reserator and had money to buy Ultra Expensive OCZ ecc dual channel 1 gig memory for a fx-53/sk8v mobo i had laying around. But Now im going to buy a
VapoChill XE from a guy 2 hours away for 500 Dllrs. Do you guys think it will be wise to even do it? What steps do i take to ensure a 1,000 dllr processor will be safe from condensation. What have u guys heard of it???

Let me know please, because this friday between 3-5 6/25/04 is when i will be picking it up. Thanks guys.

Pritorian
06-24-2004, 05:21 PM
The VapoChill XE is as safe as they come, if using the new proc mounting unit.
It is very neat and condensation is not an issue at all.

But if you are really sceard of it, buy some "sealstring" and put it inn all the gaps etc to double insure that every thing is air tight.

I really doubt that the CPU temps drop so much that it cools the mobo down to condensating levels, but i do not know you humidity levels etc where you live so im just guessing. But I have never had to do it here inn Norway on any mother board with the VapoChill XE or the nVentive MachII units i have.

Only If your gonna use it on the gfx card or a very low wattage CPU is there really a need for extra condesation prevention.

But be sure it does not use the old mounting unit. They do not think they fit the FX processor you have, so i belive you have checked that first? ;)

crasherGS
06-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Thank you for your reply. I now have the vapochill XE which i purchased for 550 cash from a very nice guy about 2 hours away. Unfortunatly the unit does not come with condensation prevention grease, what grease can I use in which I can buy at a retail store? any recommendations? or can I use simple thermal compound such as arctic silver or something in that area. Also the xe can house a s478 which I believe its backwards compatible with a 940 pin... but you can correct me if im wrong. The only think that is preventing me from using the unit, is a heat pad that goes below the motherboard because the sticky padding is not sticky anymore, any recommendations for that? I think im going to buy the 940 amd fx housing, but later on, since i want to test it on a amd 2200+... once again, any recommendations for all the aformentioned stuff i explained? the padding below the mobo with the heater, and the grease to prevent condensation; what type and where more or less would u think i can get some.

Greatly appreciate your reply!

Mario Gamez
Digital Expressions

Pritorian
06-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Ok, when it comes to grease on the XE unit, stay away from any "Silver" products like artic silver etc. They usally do not cope whit the very low temps. For grease i would reccomend the Artic Alumina or Ceremique. For the socket etc you are able to use any type of grease that will NOT short your motherboard or any other component. I use Artic Alumina, but that gets kinda expencive at times.

The 478 Unit is compatiable with the 940/754 pin AMD CPU's, that is correct.

For the heater you are able to tape it into place, but if you are going to use the unit on a AMD socket A motherboard you will get a new heater with that socket kit, so i would recomend using that heater innstead. For the padding, use any type og neophere or cellfoam and cut it into shape so that it covers the backside of the motherboard.

The greas your able to get it at allmost all computer stores.
The socket kit is bought online, or at a Vapochill dealer
The noephrene is bought at div plumber outlets etc.

Hope that this will help you some :)

Br
Pritorian
www.overklokking.no

Sandman001
06-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Get some dielectric grease for the mobo.

Pritorian
06-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Yeah, that works fine too, but is hell on earth to clean...

Tempus
07-14-2004, 02:17 PM
post pics. I'd be interested in seeing this.

RAINFIRE
07-25-2004, 04:33 PM
post pics. I'd be interested in seeing this.

Yeah, I'd like to see some pics, too. I run a watercooled FX-53/SK8V.