PDA

View Full Version : Strange CPU Temp Increase

critikalerror
07-07-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm not an expert at cooling. I understand the basics, and know that a decent amount of fans at a balanced intake/outake level can bring your CPU temperature down. However, I'm baffled as to why my temperature increased from 43 C to 53 C when I upgraded my motherboard. That's 10 degrees Celsius...a little strange. I have plenty of fans (about 9, to be exact), with balanced intake/outake.

I upgraded from a cheap motherboard lying around (don't know the name, it was just around the house when my old one died) to a DFI NFII-400AL with the nForce2 chipset. However, I don't see why my CPU would increase that much. Hopefully it just is measuring the temperature elsewhere. I heard that some motherboards don't monitor the temperature on the core. Perhaps this one does, or maybe it adds to compensate for it? Can anyone shed some light on this?

RedViper
07-07-2004, 09:23 PM
What sort of cooler are you using? Just to get an idea. It's possible that you didn't do a good paste job.

AntiBling
07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
You could try reseating the heat sink on the CPU with a good paste.

The reported temp can vary from motherboard to motherboard, even those that are the same model.

Some temp reporting software can give you different results as well. MBM and Asus Probe do not always agree, for example. Some temp reporting software like MBM needs to be set up to the motherboard you are using. You could check those settings if this is the case.

The temp will change if you are running the CPU at a different speed or voltage.

You havent really given enough info for a real diagnosis, these are just general tips.

kizzap
07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
some motherboards don't always correctly display the temperatures. I wouldn't be that worried about running the CPU at that heat as they are designed to operate around those sort of temperatures. Although if you are worried you could always reseating the heatsink and replace the thermal interface material.