Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   NEED HELP: What's better? 1-500GPH pump, or 2-250GPH pumps??? (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=2467)

merc 03-12-2002 02:35 PM

Just a simple question with not such a simple answer.

I am using about 2 metres of braided PVC tubing, and i currently have a Danner Supreme 5 pump (500 GPH). I'm going to give this one to my friend, and purchase another pump for my setup, only...

i don't know if i should get one Danner Model 5 500GPH pump, or two Danner Model 2 250GPH pumps.

I have a DangerDen Maze2-2 waterblock, a BeCooling AquaCoil2 Radiator, and a DangerDen CoolingCube Radiator in the secondary loop that just cools and dumps water into the reservoir, and cools the chipset, and GPU waterblocks , and a HeaterCore in the main loop that cools the CPU.

I guess the 2 smaller pumps will provide lower noise, but will they yield a higher/lower net flow?

Which would you guys recommend?

Thanks!!

Brad 03-12-2002 03:17 PM

what is the pump in the secondary loop? I'd use a 350gph or something on the primary loop, and a smaller 250gph or similar on the secondary loop

merc 03-12-2002 09:18 PM

The pump to the secondary loop is the a 250 GPH pump.

I'm going to use the new pump(s) i purchase on the main loop.

I just want to know what the difference would be between 2 - 250GPH pumps, and 1 - 500GPH pump on the main loop.

the way i'll set it up the main loop is:

With ONE 500GPH pump:

pump -> heatercore -> cpu -> reservoir

With TWO 250GPH pumps:

pump -> heatercore -> cpu -> pump -> reservoir

I guess my main motivation for having the 2 smaller pumps is the lower noise level, versus the 1 larger pump.

Thanks for the help

Brad 03-12-2002 09:31 PM

but then you have 3 pumps total in your system. I'd just run 1x 500gph in the main loop, and a 250gph in the secondary

Xel 03-12-2002 10:09 PM

If I were to have 2 pumps I'd have one for input on the reservoir and one for output... but that's just me.

merc 03-13-2002 07:44 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll keep my setup the way it's been, but how about this scenario?

Ok, my friend has 2 DangerDen CoolingCube radiatiors, and a reservoir. Should he go with just 1 500GPH pump, or 2 250GPH pumps.

The way he plans of setting it up is:

With 1 500GPH pump:

pump -> radiator -> block -> radiator -> reservior

With 2 250GPH pumps:

pump -> radiator -> block -> pump -> radiator -> reservoir

What would provide better cooling, or.. what are the pros and cons of each setup?

Thanks again!

merc

EMC2 03-13-2002 08:05 AM

Ignoring the pump part - my view

He would get better temps putting the two radiators in parallel. Lower back pressure, higher flow, longer time in the radiators.

Single pump - hook the output of the waterblock to the res, output of the res to the pump, the output of the pump to a Y connector, each rad's input to one of the Y outputs, the outputs of the rads into another Y, output of the Y to the block.

If he were to use 2 pumps, then you could eliminate one Y and plumb the two pumps into the res.

In general, hottest water into the radiator(s), coolest water into the block (remember, a pump will add heat to the water).

This is really a case where an air trap/res (like the one Turbokeu made for example) would work better. Then the res could be put at the output to the rads, elimating a Y and keeping the hottest water going into the rads and coolest water into the block. (it would go block, pump, rad(s), res, block again)

merc 03-13-2002 09:22 AM

Oh! Great! Thank you so much EMC2!

So, if he were to follow your plans, should he stick with 2 250GPH pumps or 1 500GPH pump?

Thanks again!

merc 01-10-2009 09:15 PM

ben333 01-11-2009 01:56 AM

Re: NEED HELP: What's better? 1-500GPH pump, or 2-250GPH pumps???

There a reason for editing such an old thread?

- E-Mail address removed from posts as requested, posts restored.

billbartuska 12-14-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kangyu (Post 172086)
He would get better temps putting the two radiators in parallel. Lower back pressure, higher flow, longer time in the radiators.

Wat?

Overall, flow rate may increase slightly, but the flow rate through each rad will be halved, and lower flow rate = less heat transfer (less turbulance).

And the water spends the same amount of time in the rad(s) no matter what the flow rate is. With a lower flow rate it stays in the rad longer, but doesn't come back to the rad as often.

See: Watercooling Myths Exposed

jaydee 12-14-2009 07:54 PM

kangyu was a spammer. Posts deleted.