Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ok groth walk me through this graphing thing (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=9983)

pHaestus 07-11-2004 02:50 PM

Ok groth walk me through this graphing thing

I see the code; how do I make all the transparent gifs though? I am a total graphics retard (MS Paint fuels my review articles). Give me a walkthrough and I'll try to get this done today

BalefireX 07-11-2004 03:20 PM

What graphics software do you have (other than MS Paint) With photoshop, you could knock this together in 20-30 minutes, assuming you had clear graphs to copy from - the most recent ones are a bit crowded.

Groth 07-11-2004 03:25 PM

Yeah, photoshop helps a whole lot. You can have gifs made transparent by some websites, like here.

Gimme a couple minutes, and I'll make a walkthrough (with pictures!).

pHaestus 07-11-2004 04:00 PM

I think I have an older version of photoshop that came with my Wacom tablet

BalefireX 07-11-2004 04:10 PM

12 Attachment(s)
perhaps these will help you get started

Groth 07-11-2004 04:26 PM

Dang, you're fast!

It feels like talking about MSPaintwould be superfluous now.

pHaestus 07-11-2004 04:39 PM

good lord that WAS quick. Maybe I should just open source the test results.xls and let you two be in charge of this endeavor :)

BalefireX 07-11-2004 04:49 PM

I can make the pretty pictures given the graphs, but I'm leaving the Javascript to Groth :)

Groth 07-11-2004 04:51 PM

I'm okay with that, though I plan to hit the hay soon.

BalefireX, when I stacked up your gifs, some of looked displaced by a few pixels.

pHaestus 07-11-2004 04:52 PM

Groth is there any way to modify your page so that instead of just a key.gif, there's a checkbox, an image of the line/point color, and then a link to the actual review?

That'd be pretty sweet.

Groth 07-11-2004 04:54 PM

Should be doable. Let me give it a bit thought.

Edit - that didn't take much thought! In keeping with the easy to maintain modular theme, along with curve and key, each block will get two or three line html file, containing a meta redirect to the review page.

pHaestus 07-11-2004 05:08 PM

alright you two have a present via PM

BalefireX 07-11-2004 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Groth
I'm okay with that, though I plan to hit the hay soon.

BalefireX, when I stacked up your gifs, some of looked displaced by a few pixels.

Yeah, thats due to the lossy compression on pH's graphs, and the fact that they dont seem to be identical between different graphs... close, but a pixel or two off. The one I used for the majority of the placement was the Cascade SS review. They all do line up correctly in regards to eachother, as they are all layers off the same PSD.

From the looks of that spreadsheet, the only ones I'm missing are the LR WW and the #rotor block - here you go:

Groth 07-11-2004 05:44 PM

Cool.

I'm off to bed now and have a big bike ride planned for the morning, but I ought have the start of something by tomorrow afternoon.

pHaestus 07-11-2004 09:34 PM

Work in progress

Thanks guys! To integrate it with the site's layout I am going to have to put the legend under the graph

iroc409 07-11-2004 10:19 PM

pH, you have a wacom tablet? which one? do you like it? i've been thinking about getting one, but not sure i'd like one. went in the middle and got a trackball, was too discouraged with the lack of accuracy of today's mices.

sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, just curious what you think. :)

pHaestus 07-11-2004 11:40 PM

I have the entry level cheapo tablet. Works well enough; only use it on occasion (not much free time alas).

BillA 07-11-2004 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pHaestus
Work in progress

Thanks guys! To integrate it with the site's layout I am going to have to put the legend under the graph

very slick pH

pHaestus 07-12-2004 12:25 AM

thanks but my contribution was negligible. Managed to get the legend in a couple of columns below the graph; perhaps I can get this integrated into the site and working properly before bed

Cathar 07-12-2004 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pHaestus
thanks but my contribution was negligible. Managed to get the legend in a couple of columns below the graph; perhaps I can get this integrated into the site and working properly before bed

Very, very nice.

You can't use frames to put the legend beside the graph?

pHaestus 07-12-2004 01:00 AM

frames? Nah. If I had left it as it originally waa (legend to left of graph) then it wouldn't fit on the Procooling design. Now it's good to go; if my wife gets off the PC I'll give the proper formatting a go.

BalefireX 07-12-2004 02:54 AM

ooh, thats sexy

Groth 07-12-2004 04:19 AM

Made a couple change to the column concept, added review link redirects.

Here.

BalefireX 07-12-2004 05:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
would this background image make it easier? The key would show for all the blocks no matter which ones you selected (far too many possible combinations to do an individualized legend for each one) Alternatively, have attached the legend as a GIF with clear background, so it could be set up to appear once you have submitted your choices.

Etacovda 07-12-2004 06:38 AM

Very nice BalefireX; The maze4 type in the other one gives me a headache, lol

Great idea, much handier for comparasions. How much more complicated would it be to do it later on with specific pumps etc, when pHaestus gets pressure info? I take it because blocks have been sent back to their owners, that you can't do this for every block...