Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Reccomend me a heater core! (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=9432)

Demonfire 04-24-2004 01:17 PM

Reccomend me a heater core!

Ok, ive decided (with much influcence of this forum) that a heater core that could house 1 or 2 120 mm fans would be better than any radiator.

So, since you guys know so much, what heater core should I get, how should I mount it ,will it be compatible with 1/2" id tubing, and where should I get it?

Im just scared that it will be to hard for me to cut holes in my case and mount the heater core.

Please reassure me that it isnt as difficult as it seems.

I plan on mounting it on the top of my case.

Pics of my case:

http://www.gruntville.com/casegallery/albur37

AND

http://www.gruntville.com/casegallery/albuq82

Thanks for the help in advance!

Edit: These are old pics, I have cleaned up the mess inside my box substantially!

Demonfire 04-29-2004 08:30 AM

bump bumb bump

bigben2k 04-29-2004 03:13 PM

The answer is simple really: get the biggest, thickest core you can fit.

Anything else? ;)

Demonfire 05-03-2004 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigben2k
The answer is simple really: get the biggest, thickest core you can fit.

Anything else? ;)

Yes, where can I get a heater core?

I have an Auto Parts Store(thats its actual name :D ) near me, would they have one?

MadHacker 05-03-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonfire
Yes, where can I get a heater core?

I have an Auto Parts Store(thats its actual name :D ) near me, would they have one?

yes they would have one...

if you want a list of sizes of heatercores
I have it hosted here

krazy 05-05-2004 01:07 AM

I just picked up a new heatercore for the project I'm working on (the current one is both really old and ugly and it is also about 1/2" too long to fit where I want it to go without a fight).

I went to the NAPA auto parts store nearby and dug through the catalog they had of heatercores. They should have pictures and dimensions. I picked a single-pass core for less flow resistance and easier de-airing. I actually just finished cutting off the mess of tubing that was used to connect it to whatever 1980s GMC light truck it would have made it's home in. I'm epoxying on thread adapters to screw hose barbs into and threaded rod coupling nuts to screw it to the back of the new case.

Measure and diagram carefully based on pictures of typical cores and then go to the parts store and ask to look through the book. You're going to have to find an older core (1980s or so) to get a nice copper and brass core because almost all of them are made from aluminum (ugh) these days.

When you find something that looks promising size-wise, hopefully they will have it in stock (this is rare for the kind of cores water coolers want) or find out if they can have one sent over. Mine was sent from a warehouse to the store by suppertime the same day. After work, I stopped back and measured the unit to make sure it was what I wanted. It was, so I parted with my $34 and headed home with a new core. Maybe we'll live happily ever after, too...

j813 05-06-2004 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadHacker
yes they would have one...

if you want a list of sizes of heatercores
I have it hosted here

Could you explain what do Num, Page, Core Num, IN, OUT means? Yes it's in english but I think it'll be a lot of help if someone who knows would explain. Don't have Cores in my country since it doesn't snow @ all.

And how thin would the plates of those tubes be?(tubes of a best HeaterCore)
:) Thanks! :)

SnowRider 05-06-2004 01:01 PM

I've been looking around at stuff for my first watercooling project and couldn't figure out what to do with the non-dimension numbers either. Well luckily I got help in this forum so I'll help you out :D
You don't have to worry about the "Num" and "Page" numbers (as far as I know), they aren't relevent to your searching. The "Core Num" stands for the Fedco part #. The "In" stands for that heater cores Inlet pipe (where the water first comes into the heater core) diameter and the "Out" stands for the oulet pipe diameter. Once you know what Heater Core you're interested in, you go to this site and enter the Fedco # of you heater core in the "Part Number" box. Then you select Fedco in the drop-down "Manufacturer" box and click continue. All you want from the resulting numbers is the "GDI" number. Copy that number and go back to the first page. Then enter the GDI number in the last box you didn't do anything with before. This will take you to a drawing and give you the measurements of your heatercore. You can also use the GDI number to search by part # @ autozone.com.
I found that some of the Fedco #'s won't work in that "Cross Reference Look Up" just to let you know.
Oh yeah, one more thing.... I can't reassure you that cutting holes in the top of your case isn't as difficult as it seams because 1. I've never done it before and 2. I'm just as scared about hacking my CoolerMaster case to fit the heater core lol.
Good luck :D.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonfire
....Im just scared that it will be to hard for me to cut holes in my case and mount the heater core.

Please reassure me that it isnt as difficult as it seems.

MadHacker 05-06-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j813
Could you explain what do Num, Page, Core Num, IN, OUT means? Yes it's in english but I think it'll be a lot of help if someone who knows would explain. Don't have Cores in my country since it doesn't snow @ all.

And how thin would the plates of those tubes be?(tubes of a best HeaterCore)
:) Thanks! :)

Num and Page I don't know...
Core# is the Fed-co Number.
In & out is the inlet and outlet diameter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldenton
Fedco are one of the firms that make heatercores, each of whom have their own numbering system....
this extremely useful site lets you find the others:
http://www.autopart.com/radiatorinfo/heatercoretech.htm

enter the fedco number, change manufacturer to fedco and click continue... it also gives you a drawing from the GDI number...

pauldenton quote taken from this thread

SnowRider 05-06-2004 01:16 PM

I beat you by 5 min :evilaugh:

Demonfire 05-07-2004 08:36 AM

I know that danger den sells a double heatercore. Did they make it themselfs or get it from a car. Also, the shroud they sell with it is UGLY, so where could I get another shroud?

Finnaly, do shrouds help much?