Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Pro/Car and Motorsports Forum (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   used police cars (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11823)

PlawsWorth 06-08-2005 02:05 PM

used police cars

hi!
I wonder if there are any online car dealers that sell used LAPD b/w police cars with sirens and everything orginal?

JSimmons 06-08-2005 02:48 PM

They do not sell used police cars with any of the lights/sirens with the possible exceptions of the head/tailight strobes. Even then, the strobe controllers are not included with the cars.

Brians256 06-08-2005 03:15 PM

It is illegal for anyone but the emergency professions (police, fire, ambulance) to drive with the flashers or siren. In fact, the blue flashing light is reserved for police only, while the other emergency vehicles can use red and yellow.

Tempus 06-08-2005 03:18 PM

Hollywood has some.

PlawsWorth 06-11-2005 08:17 AM

aiight, read a newspaper story about a guy from Europe who somehow had managed to buy a real, used, b/w lapd car quite cheap and import it to his country and apparently was even allowed to use the car as it where.

Brians256 06-11-2005 09:43 PM

Hmph. I have no idea how it works. I was just told by a policeman it was illegal to have a flashing light and only police could have the flashing blue. Maybe he was just smoking some impounded weed?

JSimmons 06-11-2005 10:00 PM

Laws vary from state to state. In california, it's against the law to have any lights other than headlights, amber signal/marker lights on the front, and red tailights (no blue dots allowed) with either red or amber signal lights and red marker lights. No blue lights allowed, now strobes allowed.

Here in Texas, it's not against the law to have blue lights as long as it's obvious that they're just marker lights of some description.

Usually, the only thing you see being left on used cop cars are the pushbars, spotlights, and maybe the strobes (sans controller).

HammerSandwich 06-12-2005 08:58 AM

Here's an old Autoweek article about used police cars. The Chicago Motors site is dead, though.

bigben2k 06-13-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlawsWorth
aiight, read a newspaper story about a guy from Europe who somehow had managed to buy a real, used, b/w lapd car quite cheap and import it to his country and apparently was even allowed to use the car as it where.

Right.

The laws specify what regular people can and cannot do, and since most cars would be destined for local sale, they'd have to comply there.

So... it should be possible for one to make arrangements to ship an un-modified car to an area that does not have those restrictions.

In other words, call Chicago PD's motor pool.

mikehotel 05-31-2006 12:24 PM

Re: used police cars

Hey guys, I was a cop for 5 years before I became a firefighter…anyway, every cop car I was ever in smelled like a combo of ass, french fries and pine sol….every cop car has been pushed to the absolute mechanical limit long before it makes it’s way to auction, it has maybe 1% of it’s life left. Something else to think about it that all kinds of nasty folks have had all of their cooties all over the interior of that car….I wouldn’t take a USED cop car for free. Look at the underside of a cop car sometime....

Brians256 05-31-2006 12:31 PM

You are a firefighter? Now, THAT is some serious and professional water cooling. :D

Props for the public service, mikehotel. Saving lives is an awesome job, although probably not as fun as you'd like.

mikehotel 06-03-2006 02:42 PM

Oh, it is every bit as fun as you would think it is, and more than most people will ever know. Thanks for the kind words, but I just do my job, I have the job of my dreams basically. I have zero complaints...I switched over when I was 30, just for the good times really. I highly recommend that everyone follow their dreams, you never know what you can accomplish if you are motivated.