Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Pro/Site News (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   New Links Section at Procooling! (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5885)

pHaestus 02-22-2003 10:56 PM

New Links Section at Procooling!

Joe hates cgi, and I hate putzing with code altogether. Nonetheless, between the two of us we managed to get a fully functional (that's Joe's part) and not at all bad looking (that's my copy/paste monkeyboy work) Links database system on the site. You can check it out by clicking on the "Linkage" button from within anywhere on the site. The direct link is

HERE

The goal is to try and add in all the real gems of cooling knowledge from all over (our site, other sites, forum posts, manufacturer's data, etc) to keep it preserved and easy to search.

This was spurred by a good thread in our Pro/Forums, by the way.

This is NOT meant to be a comprehensive list of every crappy waterblock or heatsink review on the web. If there is nothing more valuable than the pictures that are included then the article won't be posted. Readers are encouraged to give each link a rating and to also e-mail or message me about new ways to categorize the content.

More categories will definitely be coming over the next couple of days as I get more time to set up the database.

KnightElite 02-23-2003 02:04 AM

My website isn't there :eek:!

In all seriousness, that's an excellent idea. It should be a very valuable resource.

koslov 02-23-2003 03:11 AM

OK, I've deluged you with a veritable buttload of links from my personal bookmarks, that should keep you busy for awhile.

bigben2k 02-23-2003 08:43 AM

Very nice! It works well too.

I'll be deluging you over the following week :D

koslov 02-23-2003 01:53 PM

Where would heatsink and WB reviews go? Should we even bother submitting individual review links? What about Overclockers.com heatsink and WB rankings? The only cooler reviews I see that are worth linking to are from Overclockers anyway.

Should we submit links to each individual cooling article over at OC? A lot of them are outdated and some are just junk, but there are quite a few decent ones.

What to do about DIY projects posted on forums, here or elsewhere?

pHaestus 02-23-2003 02:01 PM

I JUST started reorganizing things a bit; there should be a Water Cooling/Components/Waterblocks/Test Results category now. I am in the process of figuring out how to edit everything so that there will be subcategories visible as on Yahoo. That will make eveything a bit easier to navigate hopefully. If htey are good links just submit them to the correct category and I will adjust the organization via the database admin panel as needed.

I am thinking that it is enough to link the O/cers heatsink, waterblock, and wc system comparison page. Frostytech and Dan's Data have some fairly comprehensive comparative testing as well.

pHaestus 02-25-2003 12:03 AM

One of the cgi scripts somehow got corrupted. It is working again now and people can feel free to add links again.

superart 12-14-2004 08:32 AM

I think a good thing to have would be a "tutorial" of how to read a waterblock review.

Like some basic things that newbies should look for to help them decide if a waterblock review is good or BS.

Something along the lines of:
-- If the guys testrig is on the floor in front of a window with his dog farting into the rad, the results should be taken with a grain of salt.
-- If the review doesnt say what kind of testing equipment they are using, it should probably be taken with a grain of salt as well
-- etc...

superart 12-14-2004 08:33 AM

also, a category about how to properly test waterblocks, and radiators, and pumps would be nice. That way more people can start testing properly.

jaydee 12-14-2004 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superart
also, a category about how to properly test waterblocks, and radiators, and pumps would be nice. That way more people can start testing properly.

Good luck.

bigben2k 12-15-2004 01:45 PM

I think there's a site somewhere about that... :D

superart 12-15-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigben2k

hehe

I thought that was still under construction.

cool.

bigben2k 12-15-2004 02:37 PM

Oh no! The new Open source front end is working out better than I expected.

Most active are the forums and the weblinks (which has a hidden game section :D ).

9mmCensor 12-15-2004 03:41 PM

Quote:

Oh no! The new Open source front end is working out better than I expected.

Most active are the forums and the weblinks (which has a hidden game section :D ).

games? where? i like games

bigben2k 12-15-2004 04:26 PM

Go to Weblinks, and on the left side, you'll see the link under the User menu.

9mmCensor 12-15-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Go to Weblinks, and on the left side, you'll see the link under the User menu.

ahhh on your site. i thought it was on procooling.

doh/

bigben2k 12-15-2004 06:15 PM

:D

(10 characters, eh?)

jaydee 12-15-2004 07:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah....but.....not to many people are going to get into it once they realize how difficult "real" testing is. Any moron can read MBM but not to many are going to fork over 10,000s of $$$'s for equipment and take the time to learn some scientific methods on how to use the equipment. Nope, people are generally lazy and do it the way the hundreds of tech sites do it, half assed with unusable results.....

bigben2k 12-15-2004 08:44 PM

I've spent $300 so far (the equipment is actually worth ten times that) with at least the same amount to go, to complete my testbench.

Right now I'm trying to find the fittings for my flow meter: 5/8 hydraulic fittings... :rolleyes: (I'm thinking Mc-Master...)

jaydee 12-15-2004 08:51 PM

Quote:

I've spent $300 so far (the equipment is actually worth ten times that) with at least the same amount to go, to complete my testbench.

Right now I'm trying to find the fittings for my flow meter: 5/8 hydraulic fittings... :rolleyes: (I'm thinking Mc-Master...)

Your first build of your bench... Also he said rad testing. Got a wind tunnel? $$$$ :p :D

bigben2k 12-15-2004 09:05 PM

Yeah, that'll be the next testbench; I might have to comandeer the whole garage for that one :D