Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Need To Read (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=2325)

DodgeViper 02-20-2002 10:42 PM

Need To Read

1 Attachment(s)
I think we all should take a different approach on how we view our cooling temps. First we all know that the ambient temperature has a direct affect on case/cpu temperatures. When I read at different sites that John Doe tested this setup or that setup and recommends this or that cooling setup what is the public really to believe. Different rigs are going to report different temps. Even the same rig in the same environment is going to report different temps.

To really know how good a system is cooling we all should be looking at the differential between the ambient and the CPU temperatures. Who really cares if the cpu is at 34c, this is controlled by ambient temps. What these sites should be reporting when testing water blocks, fans, and radiators is the difference between the two items above. I came across a site (http://www.ipkonfig.com/Reviews/Misc/Blizzard-Z4/) last week that was giving this complete water-cooling system a great score for cooling the CPU, but then I noticed that the ambient temps were 18c that’s 64.7 degrees. Who keeps their computer room this cool? Further more that’s a 15.5c differential. My air-cooling system does a better job at lowering the differential than this water-cooling system. Here in Arizona during the summer were lucky if we can keep our home below 25.6c and then if you tack on the 15.5c differential that’s 41.1c CPU temps. In my book this is not a good water-cooling system. I wrote to the site mentioned above and told the person that his review is very misleading because of the ambient temps he tested at. I am happy to say he made an adjustment at the conclusion of his article and now says, (Further, overall temperature load/idle is highly dependent on the internal case cooling and room temperature.)

The bottom line we should be looking at how affective does the water-cooling system remove the heat and bring the CPU temps as close to the ambient as possible. The differential number is what the product testers should be reporting…..

I am still building my water-cooling system and I hope to close the differential gap so that my ambient/cpu you temps have a differential of 8-10c. I have included a photo. It’s slowly coming together. Trying to decide to use PUSH/PULL fans or just a PULLING fan first.

derraa 02-21-2002 12:01 AM

most people loiok at the diference between ambient and processor temp. there is somthing called c/w. this is a measure of the heat pumping capacity of a system. it is diference in C divided by cpu watts. just multiply this by your cpu watage and have you diference.

Brad 02-21-2002 12:36 AM

things like mobo probe, probe on side of the core, etc, all stuff it up as well.

the only way to compare results it to use one testing rig, with everything identical from one block to the next block

btw, the guy at ipkonfig is a ****ing idiot, that was a blowjob review directed at 6 year olds

derraa 02-21-2002 12:53 AM

Why would anyone write a review like that? I just want the socket a roundup to be done. It is good to have a review of huge amounts of blocks all on one rig

DodgeViper 02-21-2002 06:20 AM

I agree every item should be the same. If someone is testing a group of water blocks then yes you can report just the temps, if the ambient temps are kept in check. What I am talking about is complete systems being sold. The only true way is to use the differential number to compare systems.

simon 02-22-2002 11:48 AM

Jsut because you get a 15.5C differential in cpu/ambient temps when ambient temp is 18C doesn't mean it will stay at 15.5 diff if the ambient was 25.5C. Radiators get less effiecient as the difference in water/air temp decreases, same goes for waterblock/water temps. If that guy had an ambient at 25.5C the differential between these temps would increase, maybe significantly, maybe not. I haven't read it but most people state what ambient temps were, most of us look for the diff.

Only way is to test every block in same rig, controlled temp, controlled everything,(their would still be small differences but results would be almost perfect).

DodgeViper 02-22-2002 12:40 PM

Simon, are you missing my point?

I am talking about those that sale COMPLETE SYSTEMS as a COOLING UNIT.

Quote:

If that guy had an ambient at 25.5C the differential between these temps would increase, maybe significantly, maybe not.
The differential is the ability of the RAD, FAN, and WB to remove the heat and to lower the CPU temps to a closer value to the ambient temp. What I stated above was just an example if I were to take my ambient temps and add 15.5c. His article is very misleading. That rad that is used in the article is a P. O. S.

Hell I can open my door and show great temps on my air cooling rig. I then could report my results to this site, but that would be misleading and not my true temps. My differential number stay really close. So if I lower my ambient temps my cpu temps go down, but the differential number stays within 1c.

The bottom line is how the cooling system works as a system and to get the lowest differential number out of the system. This is the only true way to report how a complete system is working as a unit.

As stated in the article. the 33.5 cpu temps look great, but to get those temps from that system the ambient temps were 18c.

DodgeViper 02-22-2002 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to go with dual fans.