Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Cooling News From Around The Web (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   RBX nozzle comparison (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8969)

pHaestus 02-12-2004 12:07 PM

RBX nozzle comparison

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...65&articID=145

No need for me to do the same now, right?

Hmm maybe I can't get out of it THAT easily :)

Zogthetroll 02-12-2004 02:21 PM

"The combination of turbulent impingement, and rapid bi-lateral uptake through twin outlets, make the RBX a formidable contender. However that is not where the design simply, rests on its laurels. For those whom believe the inlet simply "dumps" water into the block, and Dander Den engineer's merely cross their fingers, your sorely mistaken. And added feature of each nozzle is its isolation gasket, which by Danger Den's description prevents "blow-back." Albeit blow-back or impingement isolation disruption, one wants to control the water's impingement down to the very point in the block located directly above the CPU core. The photo below exemplifies this aspect of the design. The gasket not only keep's the intake isolated, but the nozzle resting above the heat-void (cups) ensures maximum isolation is attained;"

HUH??? sounds like somebody swallowed a dictionary before sitting down to write this. I also liked the comment about how DD's engineers should be applauded for the amount of work that went into the block, only moments before having said how they simply combined some of the top-performing blocks on the market. uh, make up your mind there. You know pH, you're probably going to regret posting this link once the wb testing obsessed masses here at procooling get their teeth into this one. :D that or you're just stiring things up. hehe.

"Unfortunately I don't have a Compu-nurse for this test, however; we can still obtain accurate data. Although the motherboard thermistor can be inaccurate compared to real-world temps, were not measuring real-world temps. We’re measuring the ability of the RBX to remove heat from a CPU by virtue of its accelerator nozzles. As long as all parameters remain constant especially the motherboard thermistor reading, the nozzles become the only variables."

yeah, ok, I had to include this as well. that's enough for me now.

Groth 02-12-2004 02:39 PM

Yeah, it's amazing how many sentence have no meaning at all. He should have spent less time with the thesaurus, and more time learning about the hardware.

"Basically diode seems to read 0.07V above the actual Vcore. " "In this circumstance the Vcore reads 1.62V per the P4C800E-Dlx thermistor/diode inaccuracies, "

I never realized diodes and thermistor were for reading voltages. :rolleyes:

Awaiting the real (ph) review.

pHaestus 02-12-2004 02:45 PM

I suspect english is not his primary language (it's a .be website) and so he compensated with lots of large words. Maybe I'm wrong though.

BillA 02-12-2004 03:03 PM

for sure English is not his native language (based on looking at the above paragraphs)
(s)he is HUN-GA-RI-AN !, ta da, and not only . . . . . .

a bit high on the hot air recirculation

pHaestus 02-12-2004 03:06 PM

I was going to make a comment about how mounting variations and differences in thermal paste layer thickness make the testing of the RBX nozzles very difficult. But then I noticed the author of this review was one of the XS posters who has absolutely no problems with the reproducibility of mounting this block. So carry on folks!

Groth 02-12-2004 03:11 PM

Xtremesystem's forum profile put's s/he in Rhode Island, going for a Neuroscience PhD at Brown. Critical thinking and composition skills not needed?

jmke-madshrimps 02-12-2004 04:00 PM

you must understand that not everyone has all the tools needed to make an entirely objective review, procooling is known and applauded for their very technical reviews and I liked your reading on the Cascade waterblock comparison pHaestus.

Liquid3D is known for writing 5 words instead of 1, some readers like it, others don't, it is a personal taste and should not be used against him like that

Quote:

I suspect english is not his primary language (it's a .be website) and so he compensated with lots of large words. Maybe I'm wrong though.
If you feel more comfortable surfing a .com site: http://www.madshrimps.com/?action=ge...65&articID=145 :)

Liquid3D is from the US of A and has written other reviews/editorials for the "[M]" website. I appreciate the time and effort he takes to make this readings, do the research and bring them together in a complete article.

No one is claiming that these test results are 100% accurate, they represent what you will "likely" get when doing your home made comparison of the 2 nozzles.

Quote:

HUN-GA-RI-AN
try google for a change, the country code for Hungary is not .BE, thank you , come again.

@Groth: that was a remark I could have anticipated but as I'm the one with English as a 3rd (not second :p) language, I had my doubts, what would you suggest , I appreciate your help in this!

Quote:

I also liked the comment about how DD's engineers should be applauded for the amount of work that went into the block, only moments before having said how they simply combined some of the top-performing blocks on the market
combining different elements, doing the research, takes no effort at all I'm sure, mass producing water-blocks is something everybody is able to do right? Don't know for sure, but Danger Den was one of the first to supply the custom water-cooling community with above average quality products right? Only later on when it became more mainstream did we see other "small-town" waterblock designers/creators start their little production and sell them to a select crowd.

anyways, I like the fact that Procooling posted this little blurb in these forums and only seek to learn new things as we go alone, if the review had been perfect it wouldn't have been fun commenting on it :)

cheers!

/JMke
editor/webmaster@madshrimps

pHaestus 02-12-2004 04:42 PM

I stand corrected re language and nationality; assumption makes an ass out of "u" and "mption" and whatnot.

BillA 02-12-2004 04:59 PM

sorry to be so oblique
"HUN-GA-RI-AN" was a line quoted from My Fair Lady about 'foreign' speech recognition

still WAY too high on the hot air recirculation

killernoodle 02-12-2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

It's a clever amalgamation of a small foot-print (allowing the CPU to "breath") Cascade "type" impingement into heat-voids, which re-contour into channels propagating rapid bi-lateral uptake of the heated water.
:D I like that sentance. It is gud! It has moer big words then I can count on my hands!

*pulls off socks*

:D

jmke 02-12-2004 06:28 PM

Apparently the big words are just too big for most of you ? :shrug:

I agree that it is not your common article when it comes down to phrasing and word choice, but it shouldn't be judged on those bases imho

Groth 02-12-2004 07:09 PM

'Big words' and complex ideas are wonderful; trying to hide sloppy work and sloppy writing in a torrent of 'big words' is not.

Blackeagle 02-12-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmke
Apparently the big words are just too big for most of you ? :shrug:

I agree that it is not your common article when it comes down to phrasing and word choice, but it shouldn't be judged on those bases imho

I agree, it's no common article. It's much worse than that.......... :evilaugh:

jaydee 02-12-2004 07:51 PM

Looks like all the other garbage spewing from so called tech sites. Seems the last thing they worry about is "tech" (as in decent equipent) when they do their "technical analysis" of the stuff they write about.

BillA 02-12-2004 07:54 PM

an author is judged by their words, specifically their selection and arrangement

so when someone says:
"It's a clever amalgamation of a small foot-print (allowing the CPU to "breath") Cascade "type" impingement into heat-voids, which re-contour into channels propagating rapid bi-lateral uptake of the heated water."

I, BillA here only, conclude that the writer does NOT know their English vocabulary; "allowing the CPU to "breath"", did you mean breathe ??); "propagating rapid bi-lateral uptake", did you mean facilitating or promoting ?

and when they say:
"Their inverted to show where the water will exit (the paper on number-5 protects adhesive);", and
"Extrapolating from this data shall emphasis the difference between nozzle's and the cooling prowess innate to the RBX block itself!"

I will also conclude that English grammar is another deficiency of the writer; "Their" for they're, no period; "emphasis" for emphasize, "nozzle's" for nozzles.

and when they say:
"From the preponderance of data, I've extrapolated the following. The RBX number-5 accelerator nozzle's dispersion pattern is adept at conducting the intense heat signature innate to P4 overclocking."

I conclude that the writer is functionally illiterate, and technically incompetent.

pHaestus, you are guilty of trolling
lol

pHaestus 02-12-2004 10:28 PM

This is an amusing conversation to me, as I find that I spend an inordinate amount of my work day trying to simplify and clarify complicated science so it is clear to "the layman". In my experience, I have found that those who are most wordy and heavy-handed with terminology often don't understand the topic very well. I am reading a book of lectures by Edward Teller that explains the theory of relativity (chapter 1 in fact) using nothing more than 8th grade math (he ties Pythagoreum theorum in 3 dimensions to the task) and a conversational tone. I am having a hard time believing that the discussion of a PC watercooling component demands a larger vocabulary.

jaydee 02-12-2004 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pHaestus
I am having a hard time believing that the discussion of a PC watercooling component demands a larger vocabulary.

It is just PR/act. The guy just wants to sound cool and impress the ignorant so he can create a group of followers that will kiss his ass. I see this all the time. If he was really as scientific as he sounds he would not have written an article based on half assed testing methods.

pHaestus 02-12-2004 10:38 PM

Quote:

pHaestus, you are guilty of trolling
I suck at the internet. I try to be a nice guy but somehow everyone always ends up pissed off at Procooling and thinks I'm an asshole. Imagine that!

jaydee 02-12-2004 10:43 PM

Quote:

I suck at the internet. I try to be a nice guy but somehow everyone always ends up pissed off at Procooling and thinks I'm an asshole. Imagine that!

Hummmm, I think I caused more people to be pissed off at ProCooling than just about anyone else. I had several threads booked marked at one time that were started just to slagg me and ProCooling on other sites! Ahhh the good ol' days... One of the reasons I backed off around here lately.

hdmech 02-13-2004 12:59 AM

be true to thy self.if not you shall fall to all :) pH

KnightElite 02-13-2004 01:48 AM

Quote:

This is an amusing conversation to me, as I find that I spend an inordinate amount of my work day trying to simplify and clarify complicated science so it is clear to "the layman". In my experience, I have found that those who are most wordy and heavy-handed with terminology often don't understand the topic very well. I am reading a book of lectures by Edward Teller that explains the theory of relativity (chapter 1 in fact) using nothing more than 8th grade math (he ties Pythagoreum theorum in 3 dimensions to the task) and a conversational tone. I am having a hard time believing that the discussion of a PC watercooling component demands a larger vocabulary.

Much like Hawking ;). Very good books, easy to understand for the lay person. I concur with your assessment. Actually, in several of my classes in Engineering, we are always taught to simplify our descriptions of projects so that anyone can understand them, as frequently your customer has no clue what you are doing.

jmke 02-13-2004 03:02 AM

Groth 02-13-2004 04:26 AM

What were you expecting, jmke? An outline of formal test procedures customized to Liquid3D's equipment? Volunteers to edit out the pomposity and unintelligibility? I had some suggestions to offer, then I saw your "Apparently the big words are just too big for most of you" comment.

What the heck...a few general suggestions:

A reviewer who is "known for writing 5 words instead of 1" should never act as his own editor. NO ONE should be published with out editing. It's just too easy to re-read your own stuff and see what you meant to say, instead of seeing what is actually written (I'll be kind and say that Liquid3D simply didn't notice that easily half his sentences have grammatical, punctuation, and usage errors).

Even more importantly, have the articles read by someone who has technical knowledge of the subject. Obvious mistakes like confusing thermistors/diodes/voltmeters should be fixed well before publishing. Obscure things, like that the "System Thermal" in his BIOS refers to CPU throttling based on northbridge temperatures (page 6), should be made rare.

If you don't have anyone capable of editing or technical advice, at the very least have each article read by a couple of the staff/mods. Develop (and enforce) a culture where criticism and revision are acceptable and encouraged.

jmke 02-13-2004 04:40 AM