Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   hmm; anyone know easy way to convert pre atx case? (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=4604)

g.l.amour 10-07-2002 12:22 PM

a pictorial overview of a work in progress

1 Attachment(s)
i got this behemoth of a case for free, perfect case to get multiple rads and much more in. u got to c it to believe it. problem is that it contained a pentium pro motherboard. it doesn't look to be atx, hard to find out what form factor it is.

anyway, someone got xperience converting something like that to atx? was thinking of tapping some holes myself. but it will be hard to make it fit with the pci slots at back of case. someone else suggested to weld a whole motherboard tray in. that looks like a good solution, but costly.

am i forgetting something that might be alot simpler?

the case is from a compaq digital Prioris HX Server 6000.

thx

Puzzdre 10-07-2002 01:01 PM

Wow, that case looks good for mod's!

Can you rivet the tray instead of welding it (cheaper)?

Just a thought...

mfpmax 10-07-2002 01:06 PM

Its not hard...

cut out the area where the ATX back plate would be...

Replace with an ATX face of some sort.

Everything else lines up.

Oh yeah, replace the PSU of course.

g.l.amour 10-07-2002 02:41 PM

well, thought it would come down to that. the riveting would be a good idea, problem is that there is no mobo tray.

shitshitshit. this is the coolest case i ever got my hands on, and i still can't do shit with it. i think it would be best to find a metal craftsman, and ask his opinion on how to do it exactly. it would have to be a sturdy solution.

anyway, you would be surprised how much of those old servers would just end up as trash. got this one from a webbuilding/hosting company, what can they do with a 6GB / p pro 200MHz server.

thx for the ideas. will look into the riveting option, but it will prolly have to be welded to be sturdy enough.

mfpmax 10-07-2002 02:50 PM

Make a motherboard tray :D

Thats what I did long before ATX and any case I owned had trays.

I took my first tower case and drilled out the spot welds...put in some screws...instant tray.

g.l.amour 10-07-2002 02:58 PM

u got me thinking m8. that must indeed be one of the easiest options. it shall be done that way, i should be getting a digicam. it would make a l33t article.

MadDogMe 10-08-2002 04:44 AM

What's wrong with your first idea of drilling out the ATX holes?, then just screwing the risers into them?. you could make a template out of an A1 sheet of paper(or tape a couple together) and punch the holes through, use your ATX case to mark the holes for the template...

PS, the openings on the case back are the same are'nt they?.

g.l.amour 10-08-2002 04:54 AM

thats just the problem, the back plate is also different. so i think im gonna, get the rivets of the backplate out; and fit the mobo tray of my current case in. hope it will work out, because this case is a dream.
btw the original motherboard is about 3 x as large as a full size atx motherboard. above the ps/2 ports there is still about 6 inches of motherboard.

MadDogMe 10-08-2002 05:00 AM

Have you got a removabl tray in your present mobo?, if so that's ideal!. otherwise it'd be easy enough to make another back plate from a peice of sheet ALu.

g.l.amour 10-08-2002 09:12 AM

well, i'll kill my old case, it should have a mobo tray, although i never used it. anyway, borrowed a digicam from work, ill post some pics of my recent acquisitions.

thx for all the help guys.

ambient 10-08-2002 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by g.l.amour
thats just the problem, the back plate is also different. so i think im gonna, get the rivets of the backplate out; and fit the mobo tray of my current case in. hope it will work out, because this case is a dream.
btw the original motherboard is about 3 x as large as a full size atx motherboard. above the ps/2 ports there is still about 6 inches of motherboard.

see below for what i did. Stole the top portion of the back plate from another atx box.

ambient 10-08-2002 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
dooohh...forgot to attach pics

ambient 10-08-2002 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another

ambient 10-08-2002 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and another

ambient 10-08-2002 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the last

mfpmax 10-08-2002 01:03 PM

See?

Easy...

g.l.amour 10-08-2002 02:37 PM

i appreciate it guys. but ive been hacking away with my dremel, and had to throw in the towel. this is out of my league. i'd be at it for weeks, and it'd look like shite. realise that now.

mfpmax 10-08-2002 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by g.l.amour
i appreciate it guys. but ive been hacking away with my dremel, and had to throw in the towel. this is out of my league. i'd be at it for weeks, and it'd look like shite. realise that now.
You must step up to...POWER TOOLS!

Die grinder is your friend :D

g.l.amour 10-08-2002 04:18 PM

lol, i'm 25 dude, just starting to get a moderate amount of screwdrivers. i'm a proud owner of a handdrill and a dremel. i don't have a workshop or garage to put it all in. my gf is going nuts with all my dirty work going on in the living room.

pHaestus 10-08-2002 04:36 PM

Do it in bathroom or kitchen and ALWAYS do a good job of cleaning up. GF will be happy then that the kitchen or bathroom has been freshly scrubbed and mopped instead of pissed.

mfpmax 10-08-2002 04:43 PM

I'm glad my dad started collecting extra tools for me before I was born :D

Puzzdre 10-08-2002 04:43 PM

Quote:

my gf is going nuts with all my dirty work going on in the living room.
LOL!

Weeeeelll, I do most of my dirty work on the balcony (1.60x3.5 metres) and keep lots of tools inside the apartement (42 sq m including balcony) and my wife is not wery happy with it but the thing is that you keep all the tools cornered somewhere so she won't stumble over a drill or silicone tube or something. :D

Oh, and the vacuum cleaning is a good way to go...:p

bigben2k 10-08-2002 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Puzzdre
LOL!

Weeeeelll, I do most of my dirty work on the balcony (1.60x3.5 metres) and keep lots of tools inside the apartement (42 sq m including balcony) and my wife is not wery happy with it but the thing is that you keep all the tools cornered somewhere so she won't stumble over a drill or silicone tube or something. :D

Oh, and the vacuum cleaning is a good way to go...:p

He he, that's pretty much my case too! I spend more time cleaning up, just because i don't want to hear" what a mess!!!".

g.l.amour, get yourself a jig saw, and a fine metal blade. Very cheap, it'll speed up the job tremendously. Add a file to take out the sharp edges, and you're all set.

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 02:20 AM

hehe, we'd better make a sticky thread with all the tips on how to not upset the gf when modding. i'd better do some cleaning tonight.

christmas got a long list this year, riveting pliers, jigsaw...

i mean how many of u got more worth in tools than in their pc, with all the expensive drills for make the WB'z etc.

Puzzdre 10-09-2002 05:02 PM

Quote:

this is out of my league. i'd be at it for weeks, and it'd look like shite. realise that now.
g.I.!!!!!!!!

LOOK INTO MY EYESSSSS...YOOOURRRR EYEEELIDS ARE GROOOWIN' HEAVYYYY...YOOOU ARE FEEELING DROWWWSY...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

g.I. !!!!!!! YOU FALL TO SLEEP TOO SOON !!! I GOT MORE TO TELL YOU !!!!

LIIIISTEN TOOO MY VOOOICEEE...DREEEMEEELLL IIIISS A GOOODDD TOOOOLLLL...GRAAAABBB IIIIIT AND DOOOO WHAAAT YOOOOU IMAAGINEEEEDDDD...ITTTT WOOONT LOOOOK LIKEEEE SHITTTTEEEE...WEEEELLLL, MAYYYBEEE A LITTTTLEEEEE...NNOOOOBODYYYY'SSSS PERFEEEECTTTTT...SEEECOOND TIMMMEEE WOOOULLLDD BEEE BETTTERRRRR... ANNDDD FOOOR THHEEEE THIRDDDD TIIIMMEEE YOOOU'LLLLL RELEEEEASEEE THEEE TRUUUTH...THEREEEE ISSS NOOO SPOOOONNNN....

:p

c'mon man! nobody was born as a professional !!
where's the spirit !?!?!!!