Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Some WC Questions (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=7618)

RedPhoenix 08-13-2003 08:23 PM

Some WC Questions

Alright

Im going watercooling on my AMD setup.

CPU -Swifttech MCW5000-A
GFX - Swiftech MCW50
NB - Danger Den Z-Chip
Pump - Johnson Pump
Radiator - Dtek ProCore

Now. Few questions. Only reason Im going watercooling is to squeeze a few more mhz and the quietness. Now i heard that if case temp goes higher than cpu temp condensation may occur? I dont understnad that. Also will airflow really mess up temps bad? Im going to 20cfm fans, 3 intakes 2 exhaust.

I also heard that I may not get better temps at idle? I idle at 36c and case temp also a 36c with Sk-7 + 39cfm fan. But will my idle temps be lower with WC?

sorry for my n00bness, please bare with me.

Johnson pump, is it 3/8 OD or ID? And whats the heat deal with it? Also should I Y split it like CPU and NB on one end and VPU on other?

Also I dont know what to do as far as fill/bleed goes, resovoir? T fitting? Fill bleed system? What would be BEST, and EASIEST?

Thanks, and sorry again for my n00bness.

Boli 08-14-2003 07:13 AM

Point 1:

Water cooling via a raditor will NOT reduce the CPU temp below the surrounding temperature... the best you can hope for is ambiant (i.e. the two temps being the same).

Point 2:

You CANNOT get any better than an ambiant temperaure with a pure radiator so your idle temp will be the same. BUT when you but a full load working away the WC setup will disapate the heat better then your other setup so your temperatire at load will be lower.

Point 3:

Airflow... what I have found is that running many fans at low voltages is better to running a few at full. i.e. it is just the continuous movement of air you want.

Point 4:

I prefer a reservior which acts as the perfect airtrap so within 5min there is no air lefrt in my systsem except that at the top of my res even though it isn;'t at the highest point in the system. Though many peopel perfer a "T" join. But all of this is personal preference and space contraints. A res. is certainly easier for beginners though.

And I'll leave the other questions to people with more knowledge on the subject.

Hope it helps

~ Boli

bigben2k 08-18-2003 01:41 PM

If no one has done it yet: Welcome to ProCooling!

The Johnson pump has 3/4 OD connections (that's right, 3/4, not 3/8), unless you're talking about another Johnson pump than the one in my sig. It's not an ideal choice for a quiet system: it's got a little bit of a whir.

Your idle temps should be a bit lower, but you'll see a great improvement when you turn up the heat.

As for the airtrap, see my sig, or check out V12|V12's thread on airtrap design here.

Good luck!

RedPhoenix 08-18-2003 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright. So the Johnson pump is a little loud? Well I dont want to spend that much. But I saw the Via1300 pump. I was thinking about that and then getting a better pump later on. Anything I should know about it?

Also for Resovoir. I like this design and it seems pretty easy to make. This should be pretty effective correct?

t00lb0x 08-18-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RedPhoenix
Alright. So the Johnson pump is a little loud? Well I dont want to spend that much. But I saw the Via1300 pump. I was thinking about that and then getting a better pump later on. Anything I should know about it?

Also for Resovoir. I like this design and it seems pretty easy to make. This should be pretty effective correct?

That could work as a good airtrap. Might make filling easier too if that is the highest point in your watercooling system.

bigben2k 08-18-2003 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RedPhoenix

It's not really loud, I'm just saying that it's not completely silent. It's got a wee bit of a whir.

As for airtrap, that's a good one, but you might also look up the one linked in my sig.

(I gotta get a website up with all this info!)

t00lb0x 08-18-2003 04:48 PM

BB: his design would not work, effectivily, if it is not the highest point in his system.

RedPhoenix 08-18-2003 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I do think I have the room. I could put it above the PSU near the Blowhole fan right?

t00lb0x 08-18-2003 06:29 PM

You have a lot of room in your case, Matt. The radiator could fit up there, but does the PSU vibrate? I mean, if you rest the res. on the PSU and it vibrates it could cause air bubbles to form.

RedPhoenix 08-18-2003 06:30 PM

It does not Vibrate at all. Can you just do a little ms paint to show me where exactly everything could go?

Quarter 08-18-2003 07:18 PM

RedPhoenix ... I have an older case (Inwin Q500) that I am in the process of modding and it has about the same room above the power supply as yours.

I am building an aluminum pan that goes the full length of the case and width above the power supply to make an area for the pump, reservoir, and radiator.
Also, the pan is water tight and will have an overflow drain out the back incase I ever have a major leak in the pump, radiator, or res.

I plan on the radiator to be top mounted with some modders mesh for a grill and 2 - 120mm fans, 1 front and one back, sucking the air through the radiator, and out the 2 fans.

Because of the setup, I'll only have room for 2 - 5.5" drives, but that should be all I need.

RedPhoenix 08-18-2003 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im such a nub. Would this be an effective design, The CD drives will be moved down. I would use a pan aswell. The rad has to be at the intake fans though. Room is so hot need all the air possible.

snowman88 10-04-2003 10:50 AM

why don't move the rad up too?

RedPhoenix 10-04-2003 11:29 AM

where?

MadHacker 10-04-2003 03:54 PM

I have a Inwin Q500 as well and i plan to remove the 3-1/2" bays and mount the rad in that section.
you have only one hardrive and it would fit nicely in the 5-1/4" bays.
that would give you a bigger Rad.... better cooling.

my $0.02 worth