Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Brian's WorkLog (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New daughter (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8977)

Brians256 02-13-2004 08:24 AM

New daughter

Shameless plug! I have a new daughter, Deborah Elease Smith, born 7:58am 2/12/04, weighing 5 lbs 11.4oz and stretching out to 18.5" in length.

Woot!

http://www.procooling.com/~brian/ima.../debanddad.jpg

There's me with my "Family" sticker on the dress greens after the C-Section. I was told that is because they don't want to mistake me for a Doctor or Nurse, but I think it was to help the Dad's remember their place: spectator. Snip, zzzzt, blorp, and out she came with nothing for me to do but oggle at the sharp knives and stuff until Deborah came out and exhibited her amazingly effective lungs+vocal cords. Oh, yeah. I get to change diapers too.

TerraMex 02-13-2004 09:03 AM

Congrats Brian!

No more spectator mode for you from now on ;) .

msv 02-13-2004 09:10 AM

Congratulations!
Send my best wishes to Deborahs mother.
Is she Your first kid?
regards
Mikael S.

mad mikee 02-13-2004 09:18 AM

Now you get to learn...

About how far children will naturally overclock, no cooling required!!! :D (They raise your's and SO's temp/BP instead via Tesla - type transference heheh)

Brians256 02-13-2004 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msv
Congratulations!
Send my best wishes to Deborahs mother.
Is she Your first kid?
regards
Mikael S.

Hehe. No. Not my first. My fourth. So, I have plenty of practice in changing diapers and so on. I just thought it was funny to get that big "FAMILY" sticker on me, as if they didn't know who was on staff at the hospital and who wasn't on staff. It reminded me of the big letter 'A', for all of you who read classic English literature.

pHaestus 02-13-2004 09:42 AM

They have the stickers now because I was caught rummaging around in the meds... "Nurse! I need 250 mg morphine STAT!

Congrats Brian! I hope the boys don't burn down the house when you pass out from exhaustion.

Boli 02-13-2004 10:11 AM

You allways forget how small newborns are untill you come face to face with one.

I myself have no children(for which the world is truely thankful) but my younger sister was born 9 years after me... so I can remember all the smells and noise they make.

Congrats mate.

~ Boli

Brians256 02-13-2004 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pHaestus
They have the stickers now because I was caught rummaging around in the meds... "Nurse! I need 250 mg morphine STAT!

Congrats Brian! I hope the boys don't burn down the house when you pass out from exhaustion.

Well, I think my wife is doing a good job at getting all the meds. She's had morphine, dilaudin, demerol and now she's on some self-controlled drug pump because of some surgical complications (I think it's trapped air in the abdominal cavity causing her gall stone to lodge in the duct). But, and she's gotten three units of replacement blood so far, so that should help with all that she's lost (she hemorrages with every birth, unfortunately).

guandi 02-13-2004 12:25 PM

aww, congrats man :)

i really like seeing other people have kids, reminds me to never have any myself :p

your gonna have to put an electric fence around your computers... juice plays havoc with keyboards...

best of wishes your rapidly expanding family unit :)

bigben2k 02-13-2004 01:23 PM

Congratulations Brian!

Blessings to your whole family, from mine. ;)

superart 02-13-2004 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boli
You allways forget how small newborns are untill you come face to face with one.
~ Boli

Yea, tell me about it. I was was scared to hold my little sister untill she turned like 12 months. She was so small, I was scared I'd break her or something.

And then I saw the doctors or nurses or whatever changeing the newborns' diepers in the hospital, and theyd be like juggleing the kid in one hand and holding the diapers in the other, it was crazy.

Joe 02-13-2004 10:18 PM

Congrats Bri! They the guy thats holding your kid has a funny name "Family" What kind of name is that?!

hehehe GJ!

Supa 02-13-2004 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brians256
Hehe. No. Not my first. My fourth. So, I have plenty of practice in changing diapers and so on. I just thought it was funny to get that big "FAMILY" sticker on me, as if they didn't know who was on staff at the hospital and who wasn't on staff. It reminded me of the big letter 'A', for all of you who read classic English literature.

I hated that damn book

congrats

joemac 02-14-2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superart
Yea, tell me about it. I was was scared to hold my little sister untill she turned like 12 months. She was so small, I was scared I'd break her or something.

And then I saw the doctors or nurses or whatever changeing the newborns' diepers in the hospital, and theyd be like juggleing the kid in one hand and holding the diapers in the other, it was crazy.

LOL – The first time I saw the changing of newborns I also freaked :) man babies are more robust than they seem. In fact I know a guy who’s father dropped him during the first hour of him being born and he seems to be alright (only problem is minor dumbness which may have been inherited). :D

Yo-DUH_87 02-15-2004 09:03 PM

Congrats Brian, my best wishes for you and your family.

Brians256 02-16-2004 11:15 PM

Update:

Just got back from hospital with my new daughter but I didn't get to bring my wife with us. Hemmoragic stroke in the right basal ganglia and she is in the stroke ward. This means that she had some bleeding in the right side of the base of her brain. This made her lose some motor control on one side and have a difficult time moving, talking and thinking. OK, that's the bad news.

The good news is that it was a very small hemmorage and she is projected to make a complete recovery (timeline unknown though it might be as soon as a couple of days). Thank God, she had it while she was IN the hospital right next to the stroke ward! So, no worries, everything is going to be fine and we hope she gets to come home in a couple of days after they finish running tests to figure out why a 30 year old woman burst a blood vessel upstairs (normally you work up to this kind of thing by living for sixty or eighty years first).

Whew! Do you get this kind of excitement in your lives too, or am I just the lucky one? I have to think that there are a lot of you with similarly exciting events as well.

Now, off to take care of the four kids.

Joe 02-17-2004 12:59 AM

I just drive cars into lakes, nothing that exciting ;) heheh

Best wishes for your wife!!

warpath 02-17-2004 05:04 AM

yesterday i found a dollar...
that was pretty exciting....

CONGRATS BRIAN! hope the wife feels better

Brians256 02-17-2004 08:46 AM

Thanks, y'all.

Brians256 02-17-2004 07:28 PM

Well, it looks like the possibility of her recovering quickly is not there. She may not be able to be even minimally there for 6-8 weeks. I just visited her in the hospital today, and she wasn't even able to talk to me. Like there's nobody in there. Bummer.

bigben2k 02-18-2004 12:41 PM

Sounds like you'll have your hands full for the next couple of months! ;) Here's hoping that she recovers well.

Joe 02-18-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brians256
Well, it looks like the possibility of her recovering quickly is not there. She may not be able to be even minimally there for 6-8 weeks. I just visited her in the hospital today, and she wasn't even able to talk to me. Like there's nobody in there. Bummer.

Wow thats no good at all. Hopefully she pulls around sometime soon, head things can be pretty unpredictable... in a coma or just out of it one day, and back like nothing the day later. I have honestly never heard any one use the term "bummer" when it comes to something this serious or bad. Normally Bummer is what I hear when someones car breaks down, or get a fender bender. :dome:

Hope she gets well soon!! Till then you got a whole lil army to keep track of, more power to ya!

Arcturius 02-18-2004 06:57 PM

Congratulations on the baby! (she looks so tiny compared to my boys!)

Sorry to hear about your wife; here's to hoping for a speedy and full recovery.
*crosses fingers*

murray13 02-19-2004 05:49 PM

Congrats, DAD!!!

Wish the best for your wife, hope she makes a full recovery!

Brians256 02-20-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murray13
Congrats, DAD!!!

Wish the best for your wife, hope she makes a full recovery!

Well, she might make a recovery but the neurologist doubts a complete recovery. She has has more bleeding and they have discovered that the cause is deep vein thrombosis (clots) that caused backpressure. Although she is unconcious, she was briefly conscious this morning because a nurse heard her say a word this morning. She is improving, thankfully. They give her a 50% chance of surviving. As they say, we'll see.