Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Running L20s in series/parallel? (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11700)

WeaselBlade 05-10-2005 09:26 PM

Running L20s in series/parallel?

I'm working on a compact gaming system, and trying to decide what to do about a pump. I've got 3 Hydor L20s on hand that I picked up cheap a while back, and I'm thinking of using two or 3 in the system; the only other pumps I have on hand are a Mag5 and Mag3, which are too bulky to fit without enlarging the case. Also, the pump would be directly above the motherboard, hardly ideal for the Mags which are AFAIK prone to leaking. And before someone says to get a MCP600/650 or a couple of the new C-systems pumps, I'm flat broke and unemployed, so its not an option. My questions are:

Are the L20s likely to be damaged by running in series?

Should I run series, or parallel? (for the pumps. the rads/secondary blocks will be in parallel either way)
Series:
T-splitter->(2 or 3 L20s in series)->WW->MCW50->DtekCore->T-splitter
_______________________________->MCW20->HC->T-splitter

Parallel:
T-splitter->WW->MCW50->DtekCore->L20->T-splitter
_____________________->MCW20->L20->HC->T-splitter

And finally, is it going to be a problem to have L20s REALLY close to stuff like the RAM, the CPU, and the HDD cables? Talking like a couple inches tops.

Any and all constructive input appreciated

Brandon_Tyler 05-10-2005 10:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I run two L30's in series inside my external box. The box consist of 2 chevy caprice heater cores 2 l30's 2 med speed Panflo's and nexus rheobus. Here are a few pics:

WeaselBlade 05-11-2005 01:31 AM

Excellent, how long have you been using them that way?

Brandon_Tyler 05-11-2005 02:23 AM

about 2 weeks no issues.. at all. honestly its just a band aid for a upcoming external box.

Byron 05-15-2005 05:51 PM

nice one, btw how come you didn't use the pumps in parallel? i've seen they gain much more power in parallel.

Pajax 05-16-2005 04:08 AM

I think(maybe I am wrong): Centrifugal pump do not work that way. It provides almost constant pressure. It depends on rate of rotation only. It has nothing to do with input pressure. I think serial connection is meaningless.
Paralel - much better but also almost meaningless.

I will never understand why do you need so big flow rate. I has 1LPM(0,25GPM) and temperatures looks cool. ;)

Byron 05-16-2005 04:10 AM

yes but double the flow rate.

Pajax 05-16-2005 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron
yes but double the flow rate.

Parallel version do so. Serial don´t. Or am I wrong?
/ I have to refresh my memory :) .

Etacovda 05-16-2005 04:24 AM

Serial is better than parallel in a watercooling environment.

Pajax 05-16-2005 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etacovda
Serial is better than parallel in a watercooling environment.

Shame on me! You are 100% right. Pressure increases with 2 or more pump in serial. I trusted incomplete equation. Sorry!

Byron 05-16-2005 11:58 AM

i've seen a few reviews, and they say in parallel it gives much more flow and a tad more pressure... while in series it only gave a tad higher pressure... waterblocks need more water flowing through them, hence why they preffered the higher flow pumps.

Razor6 05-16-2005 04:35 PM

In series the pressure doubles, in parallel flow would theoretically double but it doesn't. Look at Systemcooling’s review of the CSP 750s. In parallel, the flow only increased about 33%, probably because of the Y fittings.

http://www.systemcooling.com/cs_pump-04.html

maxSaleen 05-16-2005 05:05 PM

The temperature difference between the two should be minimal (couple of degrees). Since you are working with a small case, I would say use whatever configuration fits in the case. If you are worried about EMF interference, you could simply cover the pump in some sort of metal shielding (I think aluminum foil would cut it). Might look ghetto... I'd only tell you to do it if you are extremely paranoid. Make sure your system is leak free. I had problems with an L30 about a year ago (there was a leak at the inlet). Luckily mine was at the bottom of my case. One drop of water in your case, due to the proximity of the pumps, could spell disaster.