Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   safe to use rit fabric whitener? (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=6963)

NeoReaper 06-12-2003 03:32 AM

safe to use rit fabric whitener?

ive read that rit fabric whitener is extremely uv reactive and i was wondering if it is safe to put a drop or 2 into a watercooling setup because i was hoping to make my water glow blue and i read thats the color rit glows.

yuanlong 06-12-2003 05:00 AM

fabric whitener glow in uv?? what color does it glows??

Boli 06-12-2003 02:34 PM

If you have ever been in a club with UV lights you'll see that people find their clothes are lighting up, that's from the fabric whitener.
it is a VERY light blue and just generally bright.
If you've been in one of thoses clubs you'll know what I mean.

~ Boli
(Raving!)

NeoReaper 06-12-2003 04:07 PM

so does any1 know if its safe to use?

bigben2k 06-12-2003 04:14 PM

I tested it, and it works very well.

I couldn't promise that it wouldn't interact with another additive, but it seems to otherwise be a "soap".

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...&threadid=6196

NeoReaper 06-12-2003 07:24 PM

thx for the reply, do u happen to hav a picture of how much it glows? i already ordered the dtek customs blue uv visible blue dye and i was wondering if the rit fabric whitener would do a better job in making my tubes glow blue.

yuanlong 06-12-2003 08:17 PM

Since its something like a soap, would bubbles be forming??

bigben2k 06-12-2003 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I've got a pic, somewhere... but because it's a picture, it's not going to tell you much about how bright it actually is. I'll dig it up.

Bubbles? That's possible, but I only tested the stuff in a jar.

Here's the pic:

Sproket 06-12-2003 11:40 PM

Well I just took the plunge and rebuilt my system with a AquaCoil Rad and used my home made Highlighter UV dye and WOW, nice bright green and all is good Now.

I put an extra mag drive shaft into solution for testing and it did not bother it, also some copper pennies. test went well for a week. Now Im using it in system.

heres a pic.

http://www.chadandjodi.com/watercool/greenuv.JPG

yuanlong 06-13-2003 01:46 AM

So anyone have use the whitener in their system can come up with a picture? I love to use it but I won't want all my tubes go full with bubbles

NeoReaper 06-13-2003 04:31 AM

wow, that glows really blue, but i guess no1 has actually tested whether or not it would damage a watercooling system huh?

BO(V)BZ 06-13-2003 10:13 AM

I second that motion! I've been looking for a good blue UV dye, and I'd like to see this stuff in action.

BO(V)BZ

bigben2k 06-13-2003 10:51 AM

If the wife steps out today, I can run it in a loop, in the kitchen sink ;)

yuanlong 06-13-2003 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigben2k
If the wife steps out today, I can run it in a loop, in the kitchen sink ;)
Great... besure that you take a picture of it...

Boli 06-13-2003 03:22 PM

I don't think she'll begrudge you that... soap in the sink?
You can say you are washing up (your setup) if she asks... though I think you'll end up washing up(the dishes) though :(.

bigben2k 06-13-2003 07:50 PM

Sorry, she would have questionned the PSU and pump on the counter. Better luck tmo ;)

I just hope the sink won't start glowing:eek:

BO(V)BZ 06-18-2003 11:22 AM

I bought the crystalline form of Rit Whitener and Brightener, and it glows very nicely. It doesn't seem to be all that soluble, so you might want to be pretty careful with how much you add. If you do add too much, it gets murky and you can see small particles floating around in the water.

I just tested it out in a water glass, and it glowed just the same as BB2K's. It didn't bubble at all either when I stirred and shook it.

If I ever actually get my watercooling setup up and running [LONG process for somebody as slow as me =] I'll post some pictures of it.

BO(V)BZ

NeoReaper 06-18-2003 02:12 PM

thx for the info, so the crystalline form doesnt bubble but the liquid form does?

yuanlong 06-19-2003 02:46 AM

I have bought a bottle of Robin Fabric Whitener yesterday. Well it glows very nice inside the water but after mixed with water it hardly glow at all...
btw no bubbles forming at all in my water loop...
it's been around 24hr and the water still not a single bubble

BO(V)BZ 06-21-2003 01:47 PM

I don't know if the liquid one bubbles at all, as Walmart only had the crystalline form for me to try out anyway. I'm working on getting my resivoir finished, and once that is done I'll be able to set up the cooling loop for some basic testing. When I do that, I'll post some pictures of what the Rit + Iodine crystals [anti-bacterial] + Hyperlube [anti-corrosion] looks like.

BO(V)BZ