Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   pics from my junkyard visit, w00terdew00t (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=4618)

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 05:59 AM

pics from my junkyard visit, w00terdew00t

1 Attachment(s)
haha, the info proved correct

for all u europeans Opel is the carmake to go

bigmomma came from opel manta
titan (2xsize big momma) from opel rekord

in manta heatercore extraction takes 5 mins, cut 2 hozes, undo 2 screws, take out cassette containing the heatercore

in opel rekord i had to brake away the dashboard and central console. sounds hefty but only takes 2 screwdrivers, and some pliers. lil more work to it, bout 50mins

this pic is the rad commonly referred to as a titan

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this one is world famous under the alias: 'big momma'

still got some cleaning to do, doing the internals first with some vinagre. still alot of crap flushing out.

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 06:02 AM

and here u got the family pic. serves well to show difference between titan and big momma. eat your heart out puzzdre.

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
there u go:)

gmat 10-09-2002 06:11 AM

How much did U pay for those babies ?
(you can talk in Euros :p)

Puzzdre 10-09-2002 06:21 AM

Quote:

eat your heart out puzzdre.
Yum, yum, pass the mayonaisse pls. :p

Anyway, good for ya! And for me too, cos' now I know exactly what to look for!:D

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 06:22 AM

well, i offered the man in charge 25€ for both. judging his face it was way too much, but sometimes i do'nt feel like playing ultra scrooge. he helped me out enormously, he almost inspected all cars with me, and gave me the hint that the manta's were easier than others, and for the rekord told me how to get to it.

as he told me ( he was also a heatercore freak, but more towards cars) that today all heatercores are aluminum fin designs and badly designed just to be cost efficient. the wafre designs got out of fashion after +/- 1980 for being to expensive. a 70's car will almost always give you jackpot.

so i don't care if i paid him 'too' much, he was a nice guy. i tried to buy a BM from a used car parts shop, and that guy tried to make me pay 78€ for one BM. now i paid 3 times less for 2 x the amount of rads.

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 06:24 AM

@ puzzdre, don't get the impression that those opels are the only ones, any opel pre 1980 should do, kadetts, rekord, manta,... u name it.

guy from junkyard told me a good trick. open hood, cut hoses until you hit the barbs, look for orange color. bingo, copper. takes 5 mins, then u know before wrecking the whole car, what goods u r getting.

MadDogMe 10-09-2002 09:58 AM

Hmmm?, whats the (cooling & actual) size of those rads?. could you show us a pic of the Titans in/outlets please?. they look abit wierd the angle they come out at, any problem soldering new angled barbs on it?, or cutting the existing ones down to usable lenght?.

You can get a cooper rad 18cmx19cm fin area out of an old Vauxhall cavalier as well in the UK.

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well, vauxhall is the same as opel, no? the dimensions u mention are that of the supposed big momma, the titan has xactly the same width, and thickness, just a lil' longer.

a bud who modded his titan to the pic below told me u can get it done at any plumber. it is supposed to be tricky because heating the barbs too much, can cause the mini reservoirs to loosen from the actual fins (soldered together), so beware.

i have measured the fin area, u have to add dimensions from the reservoirs and barbs yourself

big momma = 160mm * 170mm
titan = 160mm*245mm
barbs on both rads are 15mm OD

btw the barbs on the titan i got are xactly the same as my buds that came from a different opel model. even got the same dent in it. if u wanna compare, go here:(hope it works without registering)

http://www.overclocking.be/forum/sho...1&pagenumber=3

bigben2k 10-09-2002 11:56 AM

What the heck language is a .be extension? Swedish?:shrug:

g.l.amour 10-09-2002 12:02 PM

hahaha, its belgium

we also speak dutch in belgium, in the north its french, and a small part speaks german. so the language wo'nt tell u mutch. so thats why also the bottle says vinagar in dutch and french. makes working in some commercial position slightly interesting as u need to speak a lot of languages.

MadDogMe 10-10-2002 09:16 AM

Quote:

well, vauxhall is the same as opel, no? the dimensions u mention are that of the supposed big momma,
So it is!, I Got A Big Momma!!, W00T@N!! :D , shame I can't get her in my case :p . I would like to find a 175mm fan to fit on her, shrouding a 120mm would make it too deep...

Would you have a look on the end(non barb) to see the makers stamp, is it Harrison?, with a wierd H?, also there's a 87C marking?...

One thing I noticed is it's a two pass but one pass is wider than the other, ones 8channels the other 10channels. would there be an advantage to having one or the other as the inlet?. the water would spend longer in the big pass than the little yes?...

Gnozo 10-10-2002 09:35 AM

I've got a Vauxhall heatercore....from a Vauxhall Chevette exactly....

It's NOT the same.......perhaps the newer models, but the one I'm using is not so big.......

MadDogMe 10-10-2002 09:42 AM

The one I got is from an old hatchback Cavalier, now I look at the pics it's exactly the same. the big momma 18x19cm finarea one is a bitch to make a shroud for(unless 175mm fan) the Titan looks perfect for two 120's though [slaver]:drool:[drool]. I want one, I might see if I can find a supplier for a brand new one, might be difficult considering the year though...

g.l.amour 10-10-2002 09:43 AM

mine is indeed also a harrison. hmm, what kind of case width would u need to fit it; would 190/195 do?

anyway that big ass addtronics (ET7896A) would do nicely, got the little brother now. and the width is enough to fit the BM

MadDogMe 10-11-2002 04:45 AM

190~95 it is! :D , I got a cheap a$$ ALu case that is 195mm wide inside. I want to get the Titan(2x120mm fans) and mount it up top where the PSU is @ the moment, so it gets a clean airflow into it (and draws air across the CPU/Mosfet/Capacitor area), along with a 120 bowing air in the bottom.
If I mounted it above the 5.5inch drive bays there'd be no clearance for the fans to draw air in...

g.l.amour 10-11-2002 05:13 AM

hmmz MadDogMe? i'm trying to imagine what u have in mind. u got pics of your future case? as i'm wondering myself how to pull it off, + am still choosing a case where i can stuff it all in nicely. was thinking in the lines of an addtronics 7896a, got the smaller version, and it seems to be made with watercoolers in mind, but there's just no place for 2 rads, u can chk how well the hayden rad aligns with the front grille, so almost no mods need to be made to house a rad in the bottom part.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...&threadid=4617

but, as most 'cheap' alu cases are mid towers, i really really wonder how u r gonna get that rad mounted above the PSU.

MadDogMe 10-11-2002 07:31 AM

I would move the PSU!, that would leave me the width of the case 195mm ,the lenght of 280mm from case back to where the 'CD~ROM 5.5inch' drive cage starts, and the height of 120mm from case top to the top edge of the mobo to mount the Titan...

I'd preferably do the 'Slimline PSU Mod' and put it in a 5.5inch CD~ROM slot, or failing that put it at the front bottom where the front inlet fan usualy goes(and mount the 120mm intake on the case side~panel), or it'd fit in the space of two 5.5inch bays,(if you have 2 empty ;) ) then you would'nt have to mod it, just extend the power cord plug to the caseback somewhere...

What do you think?, the slimline PSU or 2drivebays would be best, then I could have the 120mm inlet at bottom front, have it blowing at the Eheim1250,(set the 1250 back a bit)...

PS. you should be able to fit the BigMoma in the front bottom of the case(if it's 195mm wide) if you do abit of creative work on the 3.5 inch drive bays...
In my case I'd have to get rid of all but the top 3.5 bays(floppydisk), mount the HardDrive in an empty 5.5bay to do this, but I'd rather have the Titan sized HeaterCore :D ...

g.l.amour 10-11-2002 07:41 AM

if u can pull it off, to put the psu at the 5.5 bays, that would leave you most place around the mobo. but then again if u mount it at the front intake, then u might be able to put the pump where the drive bays are: this solution would optimally give u less head than if u were to put pump at the bottom of the case, go up to the WB, go up even more to the rad.

sheesh, it would get pretty cramped in that case. i already feel claustrophobic in my case that is +/- same height/width as what you r planning to do.

u'd prolly do us all a favour if u make a photodiary of the progressions, i will try to do the same.

g'luck

iceheart 10-11-2002 05:45 PM

A Big Momma doesn't look like that... If I'm not mistaken the Big Momma is an old Ford Thunderbird HC.

mfpmax 10-11-2002 05:55 PM

If so, its proably this:
http://www.heatercore4u.com/2-204.htm

Since its freakishly huge at 9x6

g.l.amour 10-11-2002 05:59 PM

well as a reference to bigmommanes i took the dtekcustomssite. the HC i'm calling bigmomma has the same dimensions as the HC's they are selling.