Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   400 meters ranged WIRELESS LAN (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=6344)

satanicoo 04-14-2003 02:11 PM

400 meters ranged WIRELESS LAN

note: i am aiming for speeds like a modem (like 7k sending and 4 receiving)

do they exist?

my friend lives that distance from me, and has cable access to internet. if im able to connect to him trow wireless lan, i will be able to have free internet :D

btw, he doesnt mind that i do.

so i need a piece of hardware like that. but i think they dont exist.

i was also think in using walkie-talkies, moded and conected in some way that they would be used for this matter.

but i dont know how to start...

i was hoping, since you guys normaly know the most strange/impossible things, that you could at least point me to a site/link with help in this matter.

thanks.

Cova 04-14-2003 02:21 PM

I would use 802.11b - 11mbps wireless, easy to get parts, fairly easy to setup for that range if you have line-of-sight between your houses (eg. if you can each mount an antenna on the roof facing each other). Just do a google for cantenna and you'll find lots of info about how to build an 802.11b antenna from scratch.

bikr 04-14-2003 02:21 PM

why bother for 4/7k , if you have line of site to his house you can setup a yagi antenna at both ends.. one to your wireless card and one to his accesspoint most access points have 2 antennas so this won't affect him too much at all.. and you'll be surfing at normal cable speeds.. --Bikr

airspirit 04-14-2003 02:25 PM

This is easy. First, check and see if there is a way to get perfect line-of-sight between your two locations. If there are buildings and such in the way, this will be much more difficult.

If you have LOS, have him pick up an access point that can have external antennas added. You can get pretty powerful directional antennas for $30 a pop online, and if you have him aim his antenna at you, you should be able to get good traffic on a regular receiver at that range. If not, you may need to hack a more powerful antenna only your card as well.

I hate to recommend DLink since they are pieces of crap, but their 614+ access point/router can bridge with their 900AP+ bridge. They can have external antennas added easily to them. Point the two directional antennas at each other and network away.

There are some other products that do the same thing and if possible avoid the DLinks, but if you are trying to stay cheap, that would be a solution that would cost less than $400 USD and would allow you to put your entire network on their system.

satanicoo 04-14-2003 03:57 PM

thanks for all the replies.

and if there is not line of sight?

... you guessed right. there isnt :cry:

edit:

Quote:

Originally posted by Cova
I would use 802.11b - 11mbps wireless, easy to get parts, fairly easy to setup for that range if you have line-of-sight between your houses (eg. if you can each mount an antenna on the roof facing each other). Just do a google for cantenna and you'll find lots of info about how to build an 802.11b antenna from scratch.

does this setup achieve 400 meters with obstacles?

bikr 04-14-2003 04:00 PM

If there isn't line of site , 400 meters will be a nice hurdle. do you have someone in your line of site that does have them at line of site , like this

another friend
/\
you--> / | \ <---your buddy

that way you could point yagi to them , they could be the "go between and you could all be networked..and share the bandwidth.. --Bikr

airspirit 04-14-2003 04:49 PM

Can you go roof to roof? You can remotely setup your bridge/antenna and string ethernet down to your location.

bikr 04-14-2003 04:54 PM

a decent yagi will go through walls and what not , what types of obsticles are we talking about here --Josh

satanicoo 04-14-2003 05:28 PM

a school, several houses, and a zone with trees.

the land is leveled at my place, but going to his house, it stats to fall, so we have kind of a mountain in the middle :confused:

airspirit 04-14-2003 05:54 PM

You're screwed. Sorry to say it. Without LOS you're dead. Trying to go through land, GG.

Yo-DUH_87 04-14-2003 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by airspirit
I hate to recommend DLink since they are pieces of crap...
In some applications, yes, in other applications, no. Compared to a Linksys router that I configured for my neighbors, my D-Link setup was a walk in the park :D

I agree with airspirit, I don't see how you could go through land/buildings. All the extreme range wireless stuff I have seen depends on LOS...

satanicoo 04-14-2003 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here :D

satanicoo 04-14-2003 08:16 PM

there is this gadjed, a not-so-bad-quality walkie-talkies (i think its sony) that can talk a very large range, but it transfer voices.

you see? low quality voice, low data, but large distance.

i mean, making some crazy stuff like adapting this... walkie-talkies to transfer info, even slowly.

you know what i mean?

i am talking about this because a few years ago i did see something about this ( yes, always something, i never have anithing concrete :shrug: )

but i did also heard of radios trou land (yes, trou land) it was like stiking 2 iron stiks in the landon one side, and stiking other 2 in the other house, and it was able to comunicate.

sounds impossible ein? i dunno.

edit: this was with bnc cables.

KnightElite 04-15-2003 01:10 AM

If you can run a coaxial cable all the way from your house to his, then you're set ;).

It would be pretty cool though, if you could modify a modem to transmit to your walkie talkie, which would then transmit to his modem, which would then give you net access.... Hmm... I wonder how hard that would be to do. You'd have to find out first if it can be done, but if so, then it might very well work.

But 802.11b would definitely have been the best option. If you could persuade the school to let you attach an antenna to their roof, to act as a signal redirection point, then it might work.

airspirit 04-15-2003 09:50 AM

Or you can wait for 802.16 to come out. I heard it can transmit for miles. Probably will be expensive, though.

Pockytofu 04-15-2003 10:41 AM

lol, yeah!
If there is no street between your houses, just buy like 400 meters of coaxial cable,hehehe.

airspirit 04-15-2003 02:11 PM

I've actually known people to do that ... run fiber optic cable buried an inch or so underground and stringing it through peoples yards and stuff. Not pretty if you get caught.

satanicoo 04-16-2003 04:41 PM

400 meters of cable??? are you sure??

i dont even think LAN is designed for that king of lenght ( 25 meters right)?

oh well, its some form to connect the walkie talkies to the lan adapter that im searching KnightElite, i really dont know what to do! :shrug:

KnightElite 04-16-2003 04:54 PM

Twisted pair 10/100 ethernet is 100m without a repeater, gigabit over twisted pair is 25m. Coaxial can do 500m without a repeater.

airspirit 04-16-2003 06:31 PM

Fibre optics can go (theoretically) miles. Can't lose there.

jaydee 04-17-2003 04:52 PM

How many months of internet access could you buy compared to the cost of the equipment that it would take leech of your friend?

satanicoo 04-17-2003 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaydee116
How many months of internet access could you buy compared to the cost of the equipment that it would take leech of your friend?
my zone doesnt have support for cable or adsl...

yes, the last phone number with cable support is, exacly 101m from me. :mad:

you could still say: " well, if it is that close, just wait a bit more, and it will reach ya :D "

but i am waiting for over a year now... :cry:

EDIT: btw, i have a school and some roads between me and my friend. i can dodge the school, but what about the roads?

jaydee 04-17-2003 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by satanicoo
my zone doesnt have support for cable or adsl...

yes, the last phone number with cable support is, exacly 101m from me. :mad:

you could still say: " well, if it is that close, just wait a bit more, and it will reach ya :D "

but i am waiting for over a year now... :cry:

EDIT: btw, i have a school and some roads between me and my friend. i can dodge the school, but what about the roads?

but i thought your speeds after all this work wouldn't be any better than dialup anyway? My bad.

satanicoo 04-17-2003 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaydee116
but i thought your speeds after all this work wouldn't be any better than dialup anyway? My bad.
true, true, but it was what i am aiming at, just like i stated at the first post.

it would be dial-up speed only, at no costs :drool:

Arcturius 04-17-2003 10:40 PM

What are the restrictions on ridiculously big towers in your area? And what is the roof on your house like? Would a forty foot antenna on a non-penetrating roof mount with some guide wires be feasible? :D

(and more importantly, would such a monstrosity give you LOS?)