Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Laing 12VDC pump: the DDC (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10227)

Turbokeu 08-06-2004 06:39 AM

New Laing 12VDC pump: the DDC

While browsing I "felt" onto Laing 's website where they present a new DC pump: the DDC series.

Not as powerfull as the DD4 but almost as small (2.5") as the C-Systems CSP-750 pump (2"), and only 1.5" thick.
Maximum flow at 0" head is specified for 400LPM (about 105GPH) @13.5V, but more important is the maximum head: almost 15 feet (about 4.5 meter).

Power consumption is between 8.5 and 10.5 Watts and MTBF is 50000h.
A version with a liquid volume compensator is also available.

http://www.lainginc.com

CD :)

DKPowers 08-06-2004 07:45 AM

WTH is a liquid volume compensator?

Turbokeu 08-06-2004 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKPowers
WTH is a liquid volume compensator?

As I can understand from Laing's exploded view of the DDC (springs-pressure plate-diaphragm), it should be a kind of pressure stabilizer or volume stabilizer for volume or pressure changes due to temperature changes of the pumped liquid...(interesting for pressurized closed loops)

BillA 08-06-2004 09:34 AM

we can put them on THE site, (and will try to do so next week ?)
note: premium price for a premium product

Turbokeu 08-06-2004 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered

Wow that's fast! :eek:

CD :D

BillA 08-06-2004 09:59 AM

been sitting on my shelf for a while, I thought the announcment was to be in Sept.

psychofunk 08-06-2004 11:49 AM

what are your impressions of it Bill? Have you actually run it? What about putting two in series ala csystems pumps?

AngryAlpaca 08-06-2004 12:18 PM

Oh so this was the one that you referred to earlier... Seems pretty nice. Not quite what I'd expected, but this is a much better shape.

I think that putting two in series would be a bit of a hassle seeing as the barb config is what it is.

Edit: It's disappeared from Liang's site quite quickly.

greenman100 08-06-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychofunk
what are your impressions of it Bill? Have you actually run it? What about putting two in series ala csystems pumps?

15 PSI, hey-o

BillA 08-06-2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychofunk

listen please:
what are the reasons to use 2 small pumps instead of one larger unit ?
substitute fan for pump in above

Chew_Toy 08-06-2004 12:49 PM

Parallel maybe because of the lower flow but with 15' of head dont think would need series tho.

BillA 08-06-2004 12:53 PM

page will be back up after announcment next week
sharp eye there Turbokeu

dima y 08-06-2004 01:24 PM

FYI page didnt disappear :-) the link did, if you are smart enough you will find it.

look likes like a sweet little pump, makes me think twice about the c750's i bought.

psychofunk 08-06-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

listen please:

I was under the impression that putting two smaller in series could give the power of a single larger but having two would have the added benifit of a failsafe. I know my system would be hot as heck running the one (if the other failed) but in much better shape then if the single large pump were to die. I guess i was mistaken. :shrug:

Turbokeu 08-06-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

page will be back up after announcment next week
sharp eye there Turbokeu

Approaching the fifties, my eyes are not anymore what they were when I was twenty , but I'm doing my best... ;)

Damned glasses...:rolleyes:

firtol88 08-06-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

listen please:

Redundancy

BillA 08-06-2004 03:28 PM

redundancy is good, when/if the units are prone to failure
adding the second unit then increases the chance of one of them still operating after the other has failed

would not a single pump of higher reliability be advantageous ?

fritol88
you are looking at the difference between DIY and an engineered solution

Turbokeu 08-06-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dima y
FYI page didnt disappear :-) the link did, if you are smart enough you will find it.

As you say... ;)

AngryAlpaca 08-06-2004 05:47 PM

Generally two small pumps takes up more room or puts out less performance, and costs more, than a larger pump...

Would not TWO pumps of higher reliabilty be more useful? I don't really care, I guess, as I really don't need 50,000 hours as it is...

http://www.lainginc.com/DDC_Series.htm

scooterfl 08-06-2004 06:14 PM

Looks like a nice pump. I want to get one of these and some new fans and I be set.
Anyone else notice the title of that page?

BillA 08-06-2004 06:28 PM

does anyone (else) know where this pump is used ?

Razor6 08-06-2004 06:30 PM

Quote:

What makes it a premium product compared to the new D4? The compensator looks like it pushes the stator and rotor up into the pump housing. What is the function of the compensator for water cooling loops?

nikhsub1 08-06-2004 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor6
What makes it a premium product compared to the new D4? The compensator looks like it pushes the stator and rotor up into the pump housing. What is the function of the compensator for water cooling loops?

I would imagine the size/performance ratio. Seems to have very nice curves and a tiny footprint.

Cathar 08-06-2004 06:47 PM

What I find odd is that the curves and performance figures are all shown as at 13.5v, rather than the 12v for our needs.

This makes me suspect that the pump was originally designed for some sort of automotive/marine application, where 13.5-13.8v is the standard alternator car voltage. Perhaps it's a coolant booster pump? Perhaps it's a marine environment water-system pump for supplying water for a boat's domestic water supply? The springs would seem to suggest that this could be the case to deal with the "shocks" of taps being opened/closed quickly.

BillA 08-06-2004 06:51 PM

yup, and a bona fide 50,000 MTBF
and that compensator is an externally pressurized reservoir for makeup fluid lost due to the permeability of connections
-> the 3 year system !

so where is it ?

no Cathar, it was designed for its initial application - with more similar apps to follow I presume