Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Water Block Design / Construction (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Squirrel By Balinju & Hara (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5296)

hara 12-26-2002 01:52 PM

squirrel by balinju & hara

1 Attachment(s)
My friend had this waterblock in mind and so we drew it. What do you think?

Blue is in, red is out. Do cnc's accept drawing in cad? The inner channels are about 1.5-2mm. I'm not sure. The outer channel is 4mm but the top will be modified to be less restrictive in the outer channel. The mounting holes are according to AMD's spec. Also I need feedback on this block. What do you think will cool more?

Thanks for your replies

jaydee 12-26-2002 02:49 PM

I got something in the works very similar to this. Exept where you have the channels in the middle slug in a swirl effect I have strait left to right micro channels like Cathars block. I honestly do not think the swirl channels will work well but I am no pro at fluid dynamics.

CNC mills can use a DXF if it has software to transfer it into GNC code. My mill does and I think most do. Just make sure you save the ACAD drawing as a DXF and not a standard acad drawing. Then in the CNC software there should be an import DXF command. Or you may need another set of software to convert it to GNC. My mill has it all in one but most mills vary.

That block you have there would be a fun project even if it didn't work well!

hara 12-26-2002 03:44 PM

Thanks, I'll check about it. Is it possible on a mill with an XY table? How would I go about it that way? I thought about printing it and sticking it on the copper with an epoxy. :)

Nick C 12-26-2002 04:47 PM

well, you COULD do it on a xY table on a nice mill (such as my bridgeport ;)) lol

but, it won't be as perfect as you drew

I'd just do it, go slow, tighten the gib up, and if I could, I'd get a bit smaller than the channel you're machining.

you could make the channels 2 mm, and use a 1/16 inch bit (1.25 MM +/-)

-me

jaydee 12-26-2002 07:34 PM

You have to have damn good hand eye cordination to do curves without CNC. I wish I was that good but I am not.

bikr 12-26-2002 09:21 PM

I'm sorry , and yes i'm going to say it , but OMFG that would look sooooo rad with a clear top , there i've said it now i shall shoot myself.. wahhh!! --bikr

Nick C 12-26-2002 09:53 PM

I'd add a few more channels, there's alot of CU there not in contact with the water...

pippin88 12-26-2002 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nick C
I'd add a few more channels, there's alot of CU there not in contact with the water...
Nick whats the block in your avatar?

As for the thread block, I too would say manny more channels would help, maybe even spiral them a bit more?

Nick C 12-26-2002 11:36 PM

the block in my avatare can be found in a thread called "cathar clone" a few threads down

Balinju 12-27-2002 10:30 AM

Idea

Hi ppl, I am the creator of this idea. Sorry I wasn't here from the beginning but I had no internet connection for the last days, what do you think if instead of doing 8 spiral micro channels, I insert 12. Do you think that 12 would be enough or not?

Thank you for your help and comments.

Balinju 12-27-2002 10:34 AM

Continue

To add something to what I sad before, do you think that increasing the angle of spiral (increasing centripetal force of water) would help cooling the cpu more?? Would it result in a better block??

Thank You again.:dome:

nicozeg 12-27-2002 11:23 AM

More channels gives less flow restriction, less give more flow speed. It’s difficult to know the optimal, and it depends on pump pressure. You could also tweak a lot the spiral geometry to avoid that big channel separation.

Balinju 12-27-2002 11:52 AM

Comparasine

Can any body tell us which block do you think will cool most between the one show here with 12 micro channels instead of 8 and this one

Balinju 12-27-2002 06:17 PM

To help

For you guys to be able to visualize it well, i will post a design tomorrow with at least 12 channels and a more curved spirals, but now it is 1.00am so i am going to sleep, I will do my work tomorrow.

Thank you for your comments

nicozeg 12-27-2002 08:55 PM

Quote:

Can any body tell us which block do you think will cool most between the one show here with 12 micro channels instead of 8 and this one
If you have the mill and enough copper, the only way to know is making both. ;)

Balinju 12-28-2002 10:35 AM

Late

Sorry ppl but I cannot post the design today because I have problems running the Acad. I will post it asap.

Thank You.

Balinju 12-29-2002 01:52 PM

Ready

Here is the new design of the squirrel. What do you think about it? Is it still not good enough???

Is it a very cheap water block or not?? :cry:

Thank You for your comments.

Balinju 12-29-2002 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry forgot actual attachment

jaydee 12-29-2002 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Balinju
sorry forgot actual attachment
Do it! :)

Balinju 12-29-2002 04:43 PM

:(

Ok so you think it is a whole mess.
Thank you. I will try to design a better one

Balinju 12-29-2002 04:50 PM

Any other comments??

bikr 12-29-2002 04:53 PM

are there any free 3d design studios around? something really basic?

jaydee 12-29-2002 04:58 PM

Re: :(

Quote:

Originally posted by Balinju
Ok so you think it is a whole mess.
Thank you. I will try to design a better one

Err, no I mean make it! Looks good to me.

Balinju 12-29-2002 05:01 PM

Re: Re: :(

Quote:

Originally posted by jaydee116
Err, no I mean make it! Looks good to me.
sorry i thought you said do it for "forgetting attachemnt". I thought it looked so messy

Balinju 12-29-2002 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bikr
are there any free 3d design studios around? something really basic?
I am not understanding what you are trying to say.:cry: