Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   whats best for fixing heatsinks to power circuits (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11565)

leejsmith 04-16-2005 02:09 AM

whats best for fixing heatsinks to power circuits

I am in the process of uprading to a ic7 max to try and get the most out of my p4 2.8C currently @ 3.5 250fsb 1.55v on a p4p800. I got the ic7 max 3 from a b grade section for only £30.

Searching the net for most common max3 mods that i can do myself i orderd some heatsinks and have cut them to size to replace the otes system and also for every other power reg on the board but i am not sure on the best way of mounting them.
I can get some arctic silver epox or some thermal epox or would anything else do like superglue .I read someware that rtv silicon will work giving me the option to remove them later.

Lee

Brians256 04-16-2005 09:16 AM

You can mix Arctic Silver with Epoxy for a removable heatsink. Just make sure you use enough Arctic Silver to make the epoxy not permanent.

leejsmith 04-16-2005 09:27 AM

just normal epoxy i dont need a certain type ?

scooterfl 04-16-2005 10:55 AM

I believe he was referring to Arctic Silver Epoxy and mixing some regular AS with it

leejsmith 04-16-2005 11:00 AM

thats what i thought thanks for the help :)

pHaestus 04-16-2005 11:42 AM

I know Arctic Silver used to sell some non-silver thermal epoxy. I've always used it so that I didn't have to worry about getting silver on any of the memory packaging or pcb traces or anything if it squished out under pressure.

And pressure while it cures is important of course

dacooltech 04-16-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pHaestus
I know Arctic Silver used to sell some non-silver thermal epoxy. I've always used it so that I didn't have to worry about getting silver on any of the memory packaging or pcb traces or anything if it squished out under pressure.

And pressure while it cures is important of course

I think you mean the Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive pH.

I agree with pH use Alumina Epoxy intead of silver. You can weaken the bond by mixing it with regular Arctic Alumina thermal compound like Brian said.

Bruce

pHaestus 04-16-2005 03:09 PM

yes Bruce that's what I was trying to remember: Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive. That stuff works pretty well!

MadHacker 04-16-2005 03:17 PM

I used that mixing 50% Artic Silver Epoxy and 50% AS3 to mount some heatsinks onto my voltage regulators that I cut out of an old P2 heastsink.
Few months later I had to RMA my board. Couple twists and the heatsink came right off...
was able to scrap any extra AS off the voltage regulators with my finger nail.
my 2¢

dacooltech 04-16-2005 08:08 PM

I've been using Artic Alumina epoxy to put RAMsinks on to the VGA memory for the last couple years, and it works great. I prefer Alumina over Silver, because it's non conductive.

MadHacker, I think 50% mixture is a bit too much. The bond maybe too weak. It might be the right amount for voltage regulators, but I normally use 30-35% Alumina thermal compound, and 65-70% Arctic Alumina Thermal adhesive, and I still was able remove them later.

MadHacker 04-16-2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacooltech
MadHacker, I think 50% mixture is a bit too much. The bond maybe too weak. It might be the right amount for voltage regulators,...

just saying it worked well for me...
my temperature of the 2 voltage regulators that were getting realy hot, were a lot cooler... I wasn't able to overclock more with them added heatsinks but i found i didn't have to have my Fans at 100% to maintain the overclock...
another 2¢.. guess that make it 4¢ now hehehe