Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Water Cooling Myths (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10301)

greenman100 08-16-2004 11:22 PM

edited for you, angry

DrMemory 08-16-2004 11:30 PM

In this case doesn't polished mean finished (lapped?) using some kind of very fine grinding agent (much like optical mirrors). Is this a mechanical or hand polished finish? If you can "polish" an optical mirror to exacting tolerences by hand as used to be done with telescope mirrors, why can't you "polish" (lap) a water block to an equally fine finish? I can see a problem with getting a fine surface with hand lapping using incorrect techniques.

One thing I've noticed. The lettering on top af AMD Athon TBird CPUs stands out a considerable distance. After removing a couple of (lapped) aluminum heatsinks from these CPUs I've seen the impression left from the CPU lettering on the heatsink plain as day. The only way to remove it is by lapping. How can you get the really good contact across the CPU with the lettering raised like this?

Cathar 08-16-2004 11:33 PM

Here's a thing - the lettering on AMD CPU's is actually laser etched into the die. They are a depression. They are not raised above the die surface. Any "imprint" is actually just solidified thermal paste baked into the base of the heatsink.

greenman100 08-16-2004 11:40 PM

I still don't like it, it means slightly more TIM between the die and block

probably no difference, but I like the sticker on the package better, I gue sthat can be tampered with though

cathar, anythign else to add/change?

Cathar 08-16-2004 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenman100
cathar, anythign else to add/change?

Quote:

go spend some time at OCers, you will see the light (or darkness?)

Go to OCers and see The Darkness?

"Can't believe these feelings that you're making me feel,
My heart's in over-drive and you're behind the steering wheel
I believe in a thing called love, just listen to the rhythym of my heart"

nikhsub1 08-17-2004 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathar
Go to OCers and see The Darkness?

"Can't believe these feelings that you're making me feel,
My heart's in over-drive and you're behind the steering wheel
I believe in a thing called love, just listen to the rhythym of my heart"

Uh oh, when Stew start's singing, we're in trouble :p

djskinnyb 08-17-2004 06:41 AM

This should seriously be a sticky. Even if just so some forum members don't have to type "use search" so much.

:D hmm Stew's singing voice sounds familiar....are you the voice behind Milli Vanilli? :D

Cathar 08-17-2004 07:13 AM

C'mon, you mean you guys haven't heard of The Darkness? Not that they're a fantastic band, but their songs seemed to be getting air-time even when I was in the USA a couple of months ago.

My singing voice makes baby Jesus cry. Milli Vanilli were bad, but even with their real voices they were far better singers than myself.

Ruiner 08-17-2004 07:31 AM

Firstly, sticky?

Second, regarding the placement of the pump in the circuit;
I thought (perhaps wrongly) that high restriction design blocks performed better when they were first in line after the pump. Is this effect minimal (i.e. .5C or less) or am I just plain wrong?

Butcher 08-17-2004 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruiner
Firstly, sticky?

I thought (perhaps wrongly) that high restriction design blocks performed better when they were first in line after the pump. Is this effect minimal (i.e. .5C or less) or am I just plain wrong?

Position has no effect on performance except that the water may be a fraction of a degree hotter. It certainly doesn't affect amount of pressure, flow or anything else to do with restrictiveness.

greenman100 08-17-2004 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruiner
Firstly, sticky?

water is incompressible

so in a closed loop, it will exert the same pressure (force) on all components no matter the order

greenman100 08-17-2004 07:57 AM

keep critiquing, guys

I want this to be perfect, or real, real close.

djskinnyb 08-17-2004 08:03 AM

Cathar- The guy that actually sang Milli Vanilli's songs was pretty good, unlike Rob and Fab (the lip-syncers). And yes that song by the Darkness was pretty funny and stopped getting as much radio play shortly after you were here.

Ruiner- Sticky...like all of those other threads at the top of the page.

threeputt 08-17-2004 08:51 AM

How about mentioning something about series and parallel setup of pumps, rads and blocks? I'm having this little "conversation" about a guy's system w/ 2 pumps in parallel.:) He's insisting that his parallel "redundant" pumps are great...*sigh*

threeputt 08-17-2004 09:28 AM

Oh, another one. Having a res (or large one) improves performance/temperature.

greenman100 08-17-2004 06:58 PM

ok, now the real question:

post in Watercooling section of ocforums?

or submit to overclockers frontpage, and donate the money to procooling testbed?

the latter is more appealing, but feasibility/thoughts?

nikhsub1 08-17-2004 07:21 PM

Quote:

ok, now the real question:

post in Watercooling section of ocforums?

or submit to overclockers frontpage, and donate the money to procooling testbed?

the latter is more appealing, but feasibility/thoughts?

Don't know if you will get the $$$, BillA sort of had a 'mythbuster' article on OC... let's see if I can dig it up.

*Edit* http://overclockers.com/articles655/

Maybe your article will do well, who knows. If we can just get some of the ignorant to absorb...

greenman100 08-17-2004 07:33 PM

yeah, but that isn't really just about myths.

I'll submit to the frontpage when I get my membership back at OCers (probably later tonight)

If they don't want it, I'll post in the watercooling section and hope it gets stickied

maybe I should hope it doesn't get stickied, nothing stickied gets read anyway

nikhsub1 08-17-2004 07:59 PM

Hey greenman, can I post this at my forum? You will be given full credit of course :D

greenman100 08-17-2004 08:15 PM

go for it, I can email/AIM the edited version with the VBcode tags to make it easier if you want

just be sure to include the credits at the bottom

greenman100 08-17-2004 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

go for it, I can email/AIM the edited version with the VBcode tags to make it easier if you want

just be sure to include the credits at the bottom

here ya go.

greenman100 08-17-2004 08:34 PM

also, I planned on separating each size3 section into it's only post in the same thread, to make linking easier. post as you wish, though

pauldenton 08-17-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

Myth: Pump power consumption makes a significant impact on temps
Reality: It is difficult to know exactly how much heat a pump dumps into water, but a good rule of thumb is the following: An inline pump generally dumps 70-90% of its heat into the water. A submerged pump dumps 100% of its heat into the water. A 120mm radiator with a decent fan is good for about .06C/W. That is, the water temps will rise 1C for every 50 watts in the water. So, if your pump dumps 50 watts into the water, water temps will rise 1C. Therefore, the difference between a Mag3 at 40w and an Iwaki WMD-30 at 90 watts is fairly insignificant; 32w into water versus 72w, so about 2.4C. Note that the performance of a waterblock will improve with diminishing returns as the pressure increases.(my emphasis)
still needs some correction...
'course the corrected figures make it less of a myth (unless you have a better rad(s)) - 2.4C would meet most people's definition of significant imho

greenman100 08-17-2004 09:11 PM

aw geeze, good call

still thought it waqs worht covering, so people knew exactly how much of a difference it was

greenman100 08-17-2004 09:14 PM

edited to reflect dual 120mm rad