Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   73 Deg Aircooled 2.53Ghz P4 to hot? (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10534)

MadHacker 09-18-2004 09:44 PM

73 Deg Aircooled 2.53Ghz P4 to hot?

running a 2.53 ghz CPU o/c to 2.955Ghz
it running hot... 73 degC :(
is that too hot?
not this temp is take off of my P4 internal diode...
I have a Swiftech MC478 Heatsink.. with 120mm fan(evercool) running at 100% (12v)
I have a 1" shrowd on it.
I'm running it with the case open.. and my case temp is 30Deg.
is 73 deg to hot.. or should i just ignore the CPU temp? :shrug:

this temp is take while folding@home running for 25 min...
the temp hasn't changed in teh last 15 min...

MadHacker 09-19-2004 12:37 AM

well i put it back to default CPU speeds..
running at 65Degc
air temp is still 39deg inside the case...
I guess i'll have to put in more fans....
might as well customize a case for it...

bigben2k 09-19-2004 10:52 AM

Better.

Your temp isn't going to be accurate here, but it's certainly something to be concerned with.

Have you considered water cooling? :D

Mars 09-19-2004 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadHacker
running a 2.53 ghz CPU o/c to 2.955Ghz
it running hot... 73 degC :(
is that too hot?
not this temp is take off of my P4 internal diode...
I have a Swiftech MC478 Heatsink.. with 120mm fan(evercool) running at 100% (12v)
I have a 1" shrowd on it.
I'm running it with the case open.. and my case temp is 30Deg.
is 73 deg to hot.. or should i just ignore the CPU temp? :shrug:

this temp is take while folding@home running for 25 min...
the temp hasn't changed in teh last 15 min...

Holy shit, that's hot! Try beefing up the airflow through the case. Those swiftech heatsinks are pretty heavy. I would make sure it is mounted securely, and flat to the cpu, and make sure you have enough thermal compound between the two.

There is always watercooling. hint, hint.

HammerSandwich 09-19-2004 07:00 PM

Agree with Mars that your big fan & shroud may hurt the HSF/CPU interface. However, if it's stable, it's not TOO hot. BTW, what mobo are you using?

freecableguy 09-19-2004 07:36 PM

Geez...it's just a 2.53. Run it like it is, if it dies then it's time to upgrade. Seems funny that everyone wants him to spend more on watercooling that what the CPU is probably worth...

MadHacker 09-20-2004 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freecableguy
Geez...it's just a 2.53. Run it like it is, if it dies then it's time to upgrade. Seems funny that everyone wants him to spend more on watercooling that what the CPU is probably worth...

I did upgrade.. that is my secondary machine witch i use as my server...
my main machine is a 2.8ghz o/c to 3.5...
this thread for the issues i'm having with that project

BTW my MB is a Abit IT7
I found out doing some testing that my powersupply is putting out -8.57 volts for my -12 volts... and -2.88 volts for my -5 volt line...
I'll replace that tomorrow... I don't think that would cause my hight temps.. but i think it is mucking around with my network connections... read somewhere that that is one of the few things that use negative voltages...
mebe this will solve my problems... i'll find out tomorrow.. for now i gota get some ZZzzZZ's

HammerSandwich 09-20-2004 09:04 AM

I think those voltages are misreported by the mobo. Will be surprised if PSU change helps. I'm not too familiar with the IT7. Anyone know if it reports high temps like the IC7 series?

MadHacker 09-20-2004 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerSandwich
I think those voltages are misreported by the mobo. Will be surprised if PSU change helps. I'm not too familiar with the IT7. Anyone know if it reports high temps like the IC7 series?

well i replaced the power supply...
no difrence..
and the onboard lan is still messed...
guess it's time to rma the board :(

MadHacker 09-23-2004 01:07 AM

I swapped out the motherboard and my voltage problems went away...
also my CPU running default speed now with only intel stock heatsink is only 51 degC folding..
mind you I removed teh black stuff they use for a TIM and us AS3... want to use up my AS3 so i cna get something better... eventualy...
guess I have to RMA my board...
at least i have it working now :)