Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Finally gonna buy My first water kit (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=14155)

superrican 06-24-2007 03:46 PM

Finally gonna buy My first water kit

okay so in about 2 weeks im going to order all the parts needed ....... my pc consists of amd athlon 64 x2 , asus m2n sli deluxe motherboard , and msi nx8600 gts Graphic card , Soon to be 2 , seagate 500 gb harddrive ...... ive decided to order most of my stuff from Danger den , ......thing is theres so many different kinds of cpu blocks out , ive been reading carefully and it seems on here the prefered blocks are , The TdX , most of cathars Blocks , and apogee ............... im just gonna with
1. swiftech reservior
2. Danger den laing pump
3. black ice 240mm radiator
4. thermaltake fans
5. cpu waterblock ???????????????????? Have no clue
any suggestions??

as for my graphics card , ill add a waterblock when i buy my second card , also i dont think they make a specific waterblock for my card .......:nono:

so any suggestions ???

billbartuska 06-25-2007 09:03 AM

Re: Finally gonna buy My first water kit

Quote:

Originally Posted by superrican
so any suggestions ???

Are you overclocking, or trying to build a quiet system? And, no, you can't build a quiet system for overclocking.

Brians256 06-25-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billbartuska
Are you overclocking, or trying to build a quiet system? And, no, you can't build a quiet system for overclocking.

Err, not without spending a bajillion dollars (and a lot of electronics to do feedback loops or the use of dehumidifying systems) using solid state heat moving devices. But, um, yeah. Set your goals first. Fast or quiet, because it's almost impossible to get both, even for the experts who spend years learning through painful experiences of massive system failures as they find out what small detail they missed THAT time.

Your kit looks fine for an overclocking system. I'd get one of the blocks from Dangerden, Swiftech or Cooltechnica. They all work fairly well.

If you want quiet, go with a PA160 fan and a single 120mm Yate-Loon fan radiator fan. The CPU block probably won't matter too much if you stick with the big three mentioned above. Other blocks can be just as good, but I don't have direct experience with them so I can't vouch for them.

A perhaps helpful question: what made you pick the Black Ice radiator or the Thermaltake fans? The answer might illuminate your goals and frame of reference.

superrican 06-25-2007 02:16 PM

well i was aiming for best of both worlds.....apparently i guess not , so id say overclocking then ..... Lol the only reason i picked the black ice radiator is because i just figured to buy the ones on Danger den , and the thermaltake fan....well i dont know , they claimed to be quiet.....

SiGfever 06-25-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superrican
okay so in about 2 weeks im going to order all the parts needed ....... my pc consists of amd athlon 64 x2 , asus m2n sli deluxe motherboard , and msi nx8600 gts Graphic card , Soon to be 2 , seagate 500 gb harddrive ...... ive decided to order most of my stuff from Danger den , ......thing is theres so many different kinds of cpu blocks out , ive been reading carefully and it seems on here the prefered blocks are , The TdX , most of cathars Blocks , and apogee ............... im just gonna with
1. swiftech reservior
2. Danger den laing pump
3. black ice 240mm radiator
4. thermaltake fans
5. cpu waterblock ???????????????????? Have no clue
any suggestions??

as for my graphics card , ill add a waterblock when i buy my second card , also i dont think they make a specific waterblock for my card .......:nono:

so any suggestions ???

1) Micro-Res = good
2) D5
3) PA120.2 w/D12SM-12 Yate Loons (or settle for MCR220-QP)
4) see #3
5) D-Tek FuZion

HammerSandwich 06-26-2007 06:57 AM

I totally disagree about overclocking vs. noise. A louder system will allow you to push closer to max OC, but a decent build will allow both.

My system runs stable with a 35% CPU OC, and cooling is not why it won't go faster. Both fans and the pump are undervolted, and the HDs are in Smart Drives, so the PC is pretty darned quiet. This is just one example to show that it can be done.

billbartuska 06-26-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerSandwich
I totally disagree about overclocking vs. noise.

...and cooling is not why it won't go faster.

1.) Many Opti 144s will do 3ghz. Some even on air.
2.) More volts = more ghz. Are volts holding you back?
3.) There's not a rad in the galaxy that won't cool more (and allow higher overclocks) with higher airflow.

But then, that's not saying that "decent" cooling won't get "decent" overclocks either.

HammerSandwich 06-27-2007 08:23 AM

FWIW, I don't have other 939 parts to swap around and really test this stuff. I'll take what I can get but won't spend a ton of money chasing a number. Call me an overclocker of opportunity.

I know that more fan speed gives significantly lower temperatures but does not raise the OC at all. And adding a 2nd fan to cool the RAM and socket area did nothing except add noise. So my OC isn't limited by cooling, right?

Slowing the RAM with a divider does not allow any more FSB.

I gain something like 10MHz FSB if I disable CnQ, which (isn't supposed to but) does add about .05V to the CPU. I'm too lazy to volt-mod the mobo, so...

If I've missed something obvious, please speak up. I'll gladly slap myself for a couple hundred MHz! But IMO, either this CPU is a weakling or this mobo won't do 300FSB.

billbartuska 06-27-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

If I've missed something obvious, please speak up. I'll gladly slap myself for a couple hundred MHz! But IMO, either this CPU is a weakling or this mobo won't do 300FSB.

Yeah, perhaps you did.

"I know that more fan speed gives significantly lower temperatures but does not raise the OC at all....So my OC isn't limited by cooling, right?" Uh, running the fans faster doesn't make the CPU go faster. That's done in the BIOS.

When you say you can't get any higher FSB, even with a divider that brings up a couple of quesrions.

"either this CPU is a weakling or this mobo won't do 300FSB" Yeah, which? If you know which is limiting you, then perhaps somerhing can be done.

What FSB and what divider and what memory?
Have you set a low divider and a low multiplier and then looked for max FSB? And when you found that MAX FSB, did you up Vcore and try to go higher?

Again, There are three reasons to OC:
Bling...then OC doesn't really matter at all.
Silence...Ha, you may want to underclock!
Performance....Ya kinda gotta know if volts (and therefore heat) is the limiting factor. Then ("... but won't spend a ton of money chasing a number.") you can pick the WC parts that will get the job done.

Why don't you post your system specs and we'll see what we can do about an overclock. If you include the BIOS settings that get you the best OC that would be helpfull too. Oh, and loose the C&Q.

HammerSandwich 06-27-2007 03:56 PM

Apologies to the OP for going off track, so I hope you've found something useful in this.

Okay, Bill. Your comments are welcome in my new thread.

Quote:

Uh, running the fans faster doesn't make the CPU go faster. That's done in the BIOS.

Don't be difficult. My statement wasn't that cryptic.

Quote:

Again, There are three reasons to OC:
Bling...
Silence...
Performance....

You left one out: I'm cheap. Much more satisfying to run a $100 CPU at the $300 level than pay to play at the upper end. And that's why I haven't tried another CPU or mobo to see if one of my parts is a dud. When I'm ready to spend more money, it'll be on a new socket entirely.

billbartuska 06-27-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Don't be difficult. My statement wasn't that cryptic.

Sorry, but one never knows...
Replied in your other thread.