Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   File hosting: Assist, Images, Docs, etc? (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=14255)

maxfior 08-08-2007 05:56 AM

File hosting: Assist, Images, Docs, etc?

Fellow Snap fans,

I don't know if this will break any rules or not, that's why I'm posting (asking first) but I have more then enough space and bandwidth on my web server to host files for Snap users looking to find the programs and utilities that they need. I REALLY think it is unacceptable that Adaptec provides little to no support for our products. Now, I'm not looking to pirate software, but I think for us, legitimate Snap users, it would be nice to have a place to access images, programs and other software (Assist and the like) related to the Snap Appliances as long as it's not sharing commercial software that you have to pay for. Please let me know what you think and if you want to send me files to share (and put on-line) please send me a PM. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Max

blue68f100 08-08-2007 06:27 AM

Re: File hosting: Assist, Images, Docs, etc?

Every thing that is legal is on this site. Soon as you host img files you are in violation of copyright laws due to the OS. We have been through this before. Adaptec as bad as they are, will still email you a link for assist on request.

maxfior 08-08-2007 06:36 AM

Understood. I had a feeling that there would be some sort of copyright violation... Looks like we might have to wait for the Snap Server to die off completely before files could be hosted. There was a similar product called reByte that was an interesting NAS idea, they are gone and it's hard to find resources for their old stuff...
---
Looks like I'll have to wait and here back from Adaptec. I really could use Assist and an OS copy for a backup. Or, I might just make my own image with DD. Is that some thing that you would recommend blue68f100?
---
Speaking of your user name; is that for a Ford F100 pickup, they were some nice styled trucks back in the day! Thanks again. :)

Max

maxfior 08-08-2007 10:33 AM

WOW! Adaptec SUX! Remind me never to buy any of their junk. I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get Assist version 4.0.860 and the Snap OS (full) version 3.4.807. I love how they have a password protected download area, funny. Amazing how they want you to spend $140 on a support call, when all I wanted was the damn files. At least I have them now.
---
On another funny note, I asked the tech I spoke with if you can upgrade the drives, just to see what he said and his reply was: you can't do that, it won't work, you can't even take the Snap apart, it's a stand alone appliance and it can not be taken apart with out damaging it or ruining it. He pretty much said that it would be junk if you messed with it. But then went in to saying that he's heard of others popping larger drives in it. Bit contradictory I think... Ohs well... :)

blue68f100 08-08-2007 10:34 AM

Yes, that my PU. I'm in the process are prepairing it for a custom paint. The inside is completely gutted. I'm converting the Sky Blue over Wimblem White to metalic plue ofer metalic white (small flake). Along with some other custom work. This Ranger has the special trim package which puts chrome (Aluminum) every where. It's fun to drive when you have a FE block with 400+HP :) :nod: :D

maxfior 08-08-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue68f100
Yes, that my PU. I'm in the process are prepairing it for a custom paint. The inside is completely gutted. I'm converting the Sky Blue over Wimblem White to metalic plue ofer metalic white (small flake). Along with some other custom work. This Ranger has the special trim package which puts chrome (Aluminum) every where. It's fun to drive when you have a FE block with 400+HP :) :nod: :D

She'll be a beaut, that's for sure! I'd love to have one of that year, 68 and 69 were very cool trucks. My father and I still mess with his 1969 Cobra Jet Torino. 428, top loader 4sp. Hurst, 4.30's. She's brutal! 16,xxx miles on her, dad bought her new back in 1969, gotta love all that power :drool: Not so good with the M.P.G though... :evilaugh: I'll have to find some pics of it... Even though we're a little OT.

M.

blue68f100 08-08-2007 11:05 AM

You have to be adding a lot of Lead Subsitute additive to prevent from damaging the valve guides. Unless your running Aviation fuel your low on octane.

When I got this from my dad in 2000, I was forced to re-jet the carb to keep it from pinging. It's been in the family since 1970. Remember in 1968, we had leaded fuel where the low grade fuel was 98 octane ($0.19/gal), premium 102-103 ($0.26/gal).

I replaced the original heads on mine to the Edlebrock 428 Al heads, So I could burn this Unleaded fuel. Along with roller rockers, cam, intake and carb, Ignition system, just to name a few items.

Mine has the C6 transmission which I have rebuilt and installed a shift kit in it. Even with the C6 I can lite the tires up in all gears.....

I have done all of my own work. The only work that I have paid for was machine work on the block and crank. I even did my own balance work on the rods. The only thing I have not gone through yet is the Ford 9" rear end. I have a spare 3rd member which I'm going to set up with a locker.

Mine only average 8-9 mpg, :( If I keep my foot out of it. Which is very hard to do. Which only gives me ~140 miles per tank. The reason I added a rear 26gal aux tank.

maxfior 08-08-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

You have to be adding a lot of Lead Subsitute additive to prevent from damaging the valve guides. Unless your running Aviation fuel your low on octane.

When I got this from my dad in 2000, I was forced to re-jet the carb to keep it from pinging. It's been in the family since 1970. Remember in 1968, we had leaded fuel where the low grade fuel was 98 octane, premium 102-103.

I replaced the original heads on mine to the Edlebrock 428 Al heads, So I could burn this Unleaded fuel. Along with roller rockers, cam, intake and carb, Ignition system, just to name a few items.

Mine has the C6 transmission which I have rebuilt and installed a shift kit in it. Even with the C6 I can lite the tires up in all gears.....

I have done all of my own work. The only work that I have paid for was machine work on the block and crank. I even did my own balance work on the rods. The only thing I have not gone through yet is the Ford 9" rear end. I have a spare 3rd member which I'm going to set up with a locker.

Mine only average 8-9 mpg, :( If I keep my foot out of it. Which is very hard to do. Which only gives me ~140 miles per tank. The reason I added a rear 26gal aux tank.

That's awesome! You sound a lot like my crazy old father. We run 108 leaded with a mix of 94 Shell pump. It seems to do okay. He'll pump higher grade gas in it when we can find it for sale, the 108 was crazy $, even back in the day. We're planning to do the same sort of setup as your FE, with the roller rockers and the same heads, plus it'll fix the seats so you can run reg. pump gas, which will be nice. The last thing we did was put an 850 Holley on, it's milled and has the 4 corner idle, etc, it's a nice carb, big spray!
---
You shouldn't have to do much with your 9inch, they are pretty much bullet proof. Old crazy likes to power shift and dump the clutch on occasion; of course the drag pack has better axels, 31 spline I think. They sure don't make 'em how they use to ehh? It's a fun car to drive but can be a handful if you're not careful. We have a spare pumpkin for the rear-end that's got 2.75's in it I believe, it'll be nice to be in fourth from 35 MPH and then hammer it and watch the speed keep going and going... Hard to beat cubic inches, at least, that's what the old man says. :D

M.

Phoenix32 08-08-2007 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, after thinking about it...

-IF- you can get it in writing from Adaptec, it might be possible to host some of the files they allow for free. BUT, no way I would do it without it IN WRITING from them.

-AND- If we are going to turn this thread into a gear head thread, then here is my baby (Admin, feel free to delete at will)...

-AND- My two stacks of SNAP units. Yup, that is all of my SNAP units (except the one SNAP 1000 I also have).

maxfior 08-08-2007 02:08 PM

Phoenix32,

Nice hole shot! What's under the hood of that beasty! And you sure do have a nice collection of Snaps! :)

I have this feeling if I were to write Adaptec they might tell me to get bent, althought it might be worth a try...

P.S., what's the total amount of storage you've got there? ;)

Max

Phoenix32 08-08-2007 03:37 PM

748 of dyno measured Chevy Big Block Horsepower! :D (9.2 quarter)

Total storage? Don't make me add it all up, LOL. Honestly, several TB, but I am in the process of trying to slowly upgrade all units to 4 x 320 or 4 x 500 (mostly 500's). The bottom stack in the picture is what is/will be my personal units. The upper stack are units that I got for what was going to be a small business startup. But since my partner is going flaky on me, I will just be selling them on eBay now. Expect to see a 640 GB upgraded 4200 and two 1 TB 4500's from that stack on eBay real real soon (and the 4000). And yes, I do have all the front bezels. They just weren't installed at that moment.

maxfior 08-08-2007 03:45 PM

748, that is pretty nice! 9.2, what was your trap speed, 120? I'm sure it was pretty fast. The upper stack is still a lot of storage :) are you starting your own off site file storage company ;) What sort of price are you looking to get for your eBay units? Thanks!

Max

Phoenix32 08-08-2007 04:07 PM

134 MPH

As a matter of fact, yes. We are/were starting up/have a Secure Data Storage setup. We already have/had several clients (mostly lawyers and a judge type stuff). The problem is not the business, it's the partner. He has the first site (and the current clients) and the startup equipments (front end). I was setting up the second site with the larger storage bays (back end). He is the software end and I am the hardware end (with some crossover here and there). Where we run into trouble is he wants this and he wants that, and I front the cash to do it all. Then when it comes time to pay for it, there is never any money. But he always seems to have enough for his stuff (and his family), HINT HINT... It's a trust thing and I don't want to get into it here honestly, but the bottom line is, I am tired of starving and eating the costs while he seems to do fine and I have yet to see a penny from current clients, but he does somehow. I bought it. I paid for it. Now I am going to sell it. Simple.

As for prices. LOL There is a reason I have not talked about it much here on the forum. People here are looking for steal deals and super bargins. These units are tested top to bottom and work great. I have done some upgrades (like upgrading the 4200 from a celron 2Ghz to a full p4 2.4Ghz and memory etc) and have the current 4.4.049 Guardian OS (which is needed for full Vista support etc) which aint cheap. In other words, these won't go cheap (like $400 or something). They are good units and I will have no problem selling them at all, but I have doubts anyone here on the forum would pony up. I could be wrong. But for the 3 units I mentioned before, the prices will be in the $750 to $1000 zone, depending on which unit. See? Still damn good deals for what they are, but not steal deals, I can't afford that given what I have invested in them.

blue68f100 08-08-2007 04:29 PM

Computers (NAS/Servers) and Gear Heads...... You Gota Love It

maxfior 08-08-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Computers (NAS/Servers) and Gear Heads...... You Gota Love It

Ha no doubt! I can remember working on computers a teacher that lived close by, I use to ride my dirt bike through the trails and then power lines to get to her house, since I didn't have a license... She always thought it was funny that I was in to such weird stuff! Good times though! :)

maxfior 08-08-2007 04:38 PM

Phoenix32, PM sent...

Phoenix32 08-08-2007 05:21 PM

Yup, got it, and one returned also... :D

jaydee 08-08-2007 08:39 PM

Just so you all know we do have a Motor Sports section on ProCooling.
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

blue68f100 08-09-2007 05:49 AM

I know, but I seem to only look at this thread.

Once I finish my paint work I will post in the other thread. This may be 6mo from now. I have been taking pictures as I take things apart.

I have some new sound deading material I will be installing. If any is left over I will Install it into the side panels of my 19" server rack. It's a 7' one cut in 1/2, with a new base and Oak door.

maxfior 08-09-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

I know, but I seem to only look at this thread.

Once I finish my paint work I will post in the other thread. This may be 6mo from now. I have been taking pictures as I take things apart.

I have some new sound deading material I will be installing. If any is left over I will Install it into the side panels of my 19" server rack. It's a 7' one cut in 1/2, with a new base and Oak door.

I'd like to see the truck progression, you'll have to let us know how that goes and maybe with some pictures! :D I'm still trying to find pictures of my dad's dang 69, I can not believe that I can't find them, I might have to scan some...

Blue, is your rack home made too? I was going to buy nice racking junk for our little office, but I'm sort of handy when it comes to wood work, take a look at my wild setup...
---
http://www.maxfior.com/office/DSC04754.JPG
---
http://www.maxfior.com/office/DSC04755.JPG
from left to right, APC's, 960GB RAID 5 Box, Tech Box, PVR Security Server, SQL DB SERVER, 360GB reByte NAS, Smoothwall 2.0 SP1 Firewall, APC, the box all the way on the top is a little FTP server. :)
---
http://www.maxfior.com/office/DSC04756.JPG
ScArY cables, good air flow though :)
---
http://www.maxfior.com/office/DSC04757.JPG
2 16 port switches, Ambit cable modem, patch pannel, blah, blah...

blue68f100 08-09-2007 10:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
OK, here are some of my picture of my 19" rack that I bought on eBay, local pickup for $9 and 10 minutes from my house. This came with sides and doors and a 4' plug strip

Pardon all of the stuff I have in my garage.

I used angle Iron for the bottom frame, inserted a 1" MDX bottom with caster rated for 200lbs x 4.

Finished with a Oak Door and acrylic panel. As you can see I cut the side panels down and did the breaks for the sides to fit. This rack is heavy with out the equipment ~100lbs. Luckly I have a commercial grade carpet squares in this room so chairs and my rack rolls.

Maxfior:
If you are going to make your own you need the rails (Ft & Back) and the side (horz) pices so you can position the rails.

Phoenix32 08-09-2007 12:44 PM

Messes? SCARY cables? Huh? Where? Looks like home to me... :D

maxfior 08-10-2007 05:14 AM

Good setup Blue! Yeah, I'd like to get a nice rack, but I hope this is the only junk I'll have for a while... Although it would be nice for some more data storage in the future... ohs well. I like to see others setups since it gives me ideas where to spend $'s... hehe!

@ Phoenix,

You like messy cables too huh? :)

Max

Phoenix32 08-10-2007 12:05 PM

a necessary evil