Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Questions on setup and mounting ideas... (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10283)

Ariste 08-15-2004 12:32 AM

Questions on setup and mounting ideas...

Hey everyone. First of all, I would like to say that this is my first post here and to say hi to all of you. I hope to become an active part of this community.

Now for the rest of the post. I am planning to build my first rig soon and have been doing extensive research for the past 6 months or so. I am pretty comfortable with the building process and am confident that I can do that without a problem. Then I ran into overclocking and read up on it and found that I could save a bunch of money and still have great performance. Now I'm also pretty comfortable with overclocking. In fact, I wrote up a guide on overclocking at the AnandTech forums in the CPU/Processors and Overclocking forum, if any of you want to check it out. Obviously, the next step after learning about overclocking was to look into water cooling to push my CPU even farther. I've been reading up on water cooling for the past couple of days and here's what I've come up with so far:

Pump- Swiftech MCP650 12v DC Pump (I would have gone with a Mag 3 but I didn't want to deal with leak problems on my first setup)

Radiator- Thermochill HE120.1 (I'll explain why I am going with a relatively small radiator later on)

Water Block- Swiftech MCW6002-64 or DangerDen Athlon 64 TDX Block (depends on whether or not the Swiftech is in stock when I am ready to buy)

Reservoir- DangerDen Clear Round Reservoir w/ 80mm mounting pattern

Along with the tubing/clamps etc. All of this will be set up internally in a gigantic Cooler Master CM Stacker case.

All of that will be set up pretty normally except for the radiator. Here's my rather unorthodox plan for mounting the radiator:

My plan is to actually mount the radiator inside of a 4 in 3 module which comes as an accessory to the CM Stacker. The 4 in 3 module is meant to convert 3 5.25" bays into 4 3.5" bays. If you look at the dimensions for the 4 in 3 module, they are 184 ×153 ×129mm, and the dimensions for the radiator are 172x124x50mm. According to these specs, the radiator should be able to be mounted completely inside of the 4 in 3 module. Of course, I would have to find a way to fill the spaces between the radiator and the sides of the 4 in 3 module, but that shouldn't be too hard to do. I could probably cut up a rag or something and stuff it in between the radiator and the inside of the 4 in 3 module. This setup would have a few advantages:

First of all, it wouldn't require any modding (unless you consider cutting up a rag modding :P). Mounting a radiator on the inside front of the case by itself would probably require drilling holes to mount the radiator. In the 4 in 3 device, all I would have to do is slip the radiator inside and mount it either with some glue or string or a combination of both.

The other advantage is that it wouldn't require me to buy a seperate shroud and fan. The 4 in 3 module comes with a 120mm fan designed to cool the hard drives that are usually mounted inside of it. For my purposes, it would blow cool intake air from the outside of the case through the radiator. Provided that I seal the spaces between the radiator and the inside of the module, all I would have to do is mount the radiator a few inches back from the fan to alleviate the need for a shroud.

Hell, if I wanted to, I could probably mount two seperate radiators in two seperate 3 in 4 devices and have the water go through each of them in succesion, right? If I don't mind modding drilling a hole or two in the 4 in 3 device, couldn't I even mount two radiators inside a single 4 in 3 device right behind each other? According to the listed dimensions, they would both fit. It would just be a matter of getting the tubing to connect to each of them inside the confined space.

Do you guys see any problems with this setup, or any of the other components I listed? Anything that you guys would improve upon? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ariste 08-15-2004 12:42 AM

Also, if my mounting plan wouldn't work or would be inefficient or of unnecessary difficulty, how would I mount a radiator/heater core directly to the front of the case? Could I do it without modding the case with ties and glue or something? Or would I have to mod the case to mount it?

Thanks,

greenman100 08-15-2004 12:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariste
Also, if my mounting plan wouldn't work or would be inefficient or of unnecessary difficulty, how would I mount a radiator/heater core directly to the front of the case? Could I do it without modding the case with ties and glue or something? Or would I have to mod the case to mount it?

Thanks,

that thermochill is a waste of money, find a heatercore that fits your specs. '86 chevette is a good starting point.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1031/ to name a few

It seems you have 7.25"x6.02" of space

the chevetts is 6"x6.125", not counting the endtanks

could be a good fit, and a chevette costs $20

TDX w/ nozzle 4 would be a slightly better performet with that pump

and I think you're too scared of modding.

nice place for a PSU, eh?

fiberglass shroud, Torin Blower

greenman100 08-15-2004 01:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Current setup

650 CFM freeflow, 1.5" static pressure blower

that's the static pressure of 8 Panaflo L1As
and CFM of like 16 L1As also

so think 128 L1As

it kicks butt, not bad for $15 eh?

excuse the postal box shroud

Ariste 08-15-2004 01:25 AM

Holy crap... that's what I call modding...

Yeah, I may be too scared of it, but it's my first build. I just don't want to have to deal with all the extra stuff on my first computer build ever. Maybe later on I'll get into it, but not on my first build.

Yeah, I thought that the Thermochill was very overpriced, but I wasn't sure. Would a DangerDen Heater Core work as well as the one from an '86 Chevette? Even though it costs more, it already has the mounting holes for a shroud in place or can come with a shroud if I want. I'd rather pay the extra $20 to have the shroud already mounted and not have to drill any holes. Hell, it's only $7 more, I might as well go with a double heater core, if it would fit.

Also, how would I actually mount these heater cores? Do I have to drill holes to mount it with screws, or could I just use glue and strings or something like that. I won't be moving the case around at all, if that matters.

EDIT: Also, what is "nozzle 4" for the TDX water block? Where's the option for that?

Thanks for your help,

Moony 08-15-2004 06:59 AM

You can mount it by threading 6-32 rods through the heatercore carefully.

"Nozzle 4" is referring to the #4 nozzle that can be purchased with the TDX in an add-on kit called "Accelerator Nozzles".

Ariste 08-15-2004 08:45 AM

Oh the accelerator nozzles, ok. Thanks.

How would shoving those rods through the heater core serve to mount it? Wouldn't I still have to connect those rods to something? Although I guess tying those rods to sometehing would be much easier than tying the actual heater core to something. Would using those rods cause any loss in performance?

Thanks,

greenman100 08-15-2004 09:13 AM

see the threaded rod in my second picture?

that's how it works

Bio-Hazard 08-15-2004 09:19 AM

Won't hurt performance at all..........;)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sbrehm722...g/DSC00784.JPG

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sbrehm722...g/DSC00785.JPG

Mars 08-15-2004 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariste
Oh the accelerator nozzles, ok. Thanks.

How would shoving those rods through the heater core serve to mount it? Wouldn't I still have to connect those rods to something? Although I guess tying those rods to sometehing would be much easier than tying the actual heater core to something. Would using those rods cause any loss in performance?

Thanks,

You have to be careful when sliding the rods through, no to damage one of the tubes.

greenman100 08-15-2004 12:20 PM

a sledgehammer helps ease them through

Mars 08-15-2004 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenman100
a sledgehammer helps ease them through

???????????

Yeah. Right.