Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Water Block Design / Construction (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   WB Design, How about this one? (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13680)

ibmkg 11-20-2006 04:28 AM

WB Design, How about this one?

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to make a new WB for my Intel 3.2Ghz HT, LGA775.

This block consists of two materials, Al and Cu. Cu would be in contact with the processor. At the contact end there is sort of 'step' for LGA775. Cu would have tracks whose specs are:

Cu dimensions 76 x 51 x 13 mm (raw)

Width after facing Cu on each side =11mm

Cu (inner side)

Depth of track for Faced Cu (assuming 11mm) = 9mm (for raised die area) 7mm (for non raised)

Width of each horizontal track =2mm

Width of main track (vertical) would be proportional to barbs (~8mm )

Cu (outer side)
Die area proportional to CPU(less but not greater than CPU).

Raised die area =2mm
--------------------------

Al is to provide the service of an instant radiator. One side is like a heat sink and other (inner side) will have tracks but with less depth than Cu, thus forcing water to circulate in Cu easily. Al specs:

1inch Al. 25.4 mm

Al (inner Side)

Depth of tack <= 4mm.

Width of each horizontal track =2mm

Width of Main track (vertical) would be proportional to barbs (~8mm )

Al (outer side)

Heat Sink
Fins (track depth) 19.4mm.
Fins width <=4mm

Two holes size proportional to barbs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Al would have mounting holes for LGA 775 and for Cu. If the info provided does not make sense, reply me and I shall clear it up accordingly.
I need suggestions. Please do reply.

modster 11-20-2006 05:12 AM

Re: WB Design, How about this one?

dont mix cu with aluminum. i dont see how this design will work well. maybe you can improve your design by having smaller channels.

ibmkg 11-20-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modster
dont mix cu with aluminum. i dont see how this design will work well. maybe you can improve your design by having smaller channels.

Why not?

Reducing channels from 2mm to 1mm. I will have to see if that is possible. It yield a better result, no doubt.

TerraMex 11-20-2006 04:41 PM

galvanic corrosion.
http://octane.nmt.edu/WaterQuality/c...n/galvanic.htm
you can use aluminium on another part of the loop with a decent dose of anti corrosive radiator fluid, but i would avoid that.

ibmkg 11-21-2006 01:35 PM

Ok I shall replace Al with Cu. Anything else?

davidzo 11-21-2006 02:56 PM

[x] by a good commercial waterblock and see that it performs much better.

This cooler doesn't make that much sense to me. there is no funny new idea in it that maximizes performance in any way and nothing that minimizes milling time compared to much easier commercial blocks. just forget it and rethink about an easier way. or else just get some copper and dremel a little and test it yourself. you will notice that there are complicated ways to make ineffevtive coolers and easy ways to make better ones. this cooler would cool down a little for sure, but with few modifications it could be way better with much less than a third of millingtime.

modster 11-22-2006 01:21 AM

milling? slitting saw is ftw

ibmkg 11-22-2006 03:25 AM

Ok... Is there any easy way out there? This design actually was suggested by a freind who said that he can do it in no time. Nevertheless, you guys know whats best. So...pass on the new idea.

bigben2k 11-22-2006 04:05 PM

#1 - reduce the area with fins (unless you're cooling one of those new quad core CPUs).

#2 - consider other options, for inlet.

#3 - consider the area where the heat source is actually located.

#4 - optimize your coolant flow for the above.
Flow path, as well as flow speed.

If you haven't done it yet, check out other designs presented here, for more inspiration.

davidzo 11-26-2006 02:36 PM

#5 Rethink this Radiator thing on top of the block. Does it make sense to Radiate heat inside the computer case in the hottest area of the pc and probably warm the chipset and vrms with that too?