Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Shroud for my radiator (pic) (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=3813)

hmale 07-19-2002 08:13 AM

Shroud for my radiator (pic)

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would update you as to where I am with my project. Here is a shroud for my radiator:

hmale 07-19-2002 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another view of the shroud:

hmale 07-19-2002 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we see the shroud covering the radiator:

hmale 07-19-2002 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the radiator mounted in my case. The fans you see are 120mm each.

gmat 07-19-2002 08:33 AM

Wow. How did you get that shape ?

Another question, what is the copper pipe i see on the left on the 3rd photo ?

Very nice work, it's shaping up i see :-)

hmale 07-19-2002 08:49 AM

bonjour mon ami. Merci pour les commentaires gentils.

That shape is achieved by using a strip heater designed for use in plastic fabrication. A sheet of plastic (cast acrylic in this case) is laid across the heater. When the plastic is softened sufficiently (5 minutes to half an hour depending on thickness) it can be easily shaped across an object. In my case, once the plastic was softned, it was placed over a rod in order to achieve a uniform round shape.

The pipe you see is a lamp that sits on my desk...LOL

All my best to you!

gmat 07-19-2002 08:58 AM

De rien :-)

BTW how did U get the rear bracket (for expansion slots) specs ? Guesswork, or actual spec sheets ?
If you've got some technical drawings of a rear bracket i would be *very* interested... (currently designing a custom case in Pro/E)

MeltMan 07-19-2002 08:59 AM

Hmale, you are doing fantastic work. I really like what you have done. Is it easy to form the acrylic to your liking, or is it easy to goof up with? I've been wanting to make some clear components for my case but was unsure of how difficult it was to do.

Cheers on the fantastic custom case and fan shroud.

hmale 07-19-2002 09:17 AM

I wish I could take credit for fabricating the case, but that was made custom for me by a fabricator in Canada. Sorry gmat I can not help you on that one.

Meltman, I will take credit for the shroud. Working with plastic by all accounts is difficult if you do not have the proper tools and equipment. For example, in order to create the bends in my shroud a special heater was used. The heater I used costs upward of $2000.00. I am an engineer that has friends that allow me access to special equipment I need at times. I also leverage their expertise in different areas to assist me.

An alternative method for bending plastic would be to use a plastic welder, which in essence is a torch that will soften the plastic enough so that it can be bent. The problem with using that method would be obtaining uniformity of heat distribution throughout the surface area to be shaped (needed to ensure that warping is minimized). I am not a good enough technician to work plastics with bends that are predesigned unless I had the proper tools A little guidance helps too (alot in my case :).

Best of luck!

MeltMan 07-19-2002 09:30 AM

Ah, I see, Well then, maybe i could just cut the pieces and glue them very hard edged and geometrically instead of bending them.

hmale 07-19-2002 09:39 AM

That is what I would do melt. There are examples of extraordinary work using plexi and stright shapes. In fact, I have a couple of other small projects involving the use of plexi and that is the route I will go.

good luck!!

decodeddiesel 07-19-2002 10:04 AM

Looks real nice hmale, I remember using heat guns to mold 1/4" plexi in High School shop class, it does work well, but using the rod to achieve a good uniform bend is a good idea. It looks real clean and very professional.

hmale 07-19-2002 03:52 PM

thanks decode...appreciate the nice comments!

Jim 07-19-2002 09:55 PM

hmale,
I like that, a different approach. Nice workmanship BTW.
If I tried to bend plastic it would come out all crooked, or start on fire! :eek:
Jim

SCompRacer 07-19-2002 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim
If I tried to bend plastic it would come out all crooked, or start on fire! :eek:
Jim

I hear you Jim! I tried bending a piece of plexi for my first reservoir. By the time I made the last bend, it was like a modern art sculpture, not a box. I just cut corners now, square ones.

That is nice work hmale!

Jim 07-20-2002 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SCompRacer

I hear you Jim! I tried bending a piece of plexi for my first reservoir. By the time I made the last bend, it was like a modern art sculpture, not a box. I just cut corners now, square ones.

That is nice work hmale!

SC-
You didn't throw that out did you? Thats stuff (crap, LOL) sells for thousands!
Jim

hmale 07-22-2002 12:17 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments....I will have alot more to share by next week.

bigben2k 07-22-2002 02:17 PM

Surfing, going through threads...

If you're into bending, check this out

For $40, even I'd try it.