Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   help designing system with bunch of misc parts (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10864)

gompka 11-12-2004 12:54 AM

help designing system with bunch of misc parts

5 Attachment(s)
Ok I have an amd 2800 and am running a swifttech MCW5000-A water bock on the cpu. On the graphics car i am running a crappy genertic water block. The swiftech has 1/2" tubing fittings and the tube has a 3/8" inner diameter. The other water block and the radiator, which is about 3.5" x 5.5" x 1.2", use fittins where i fit the 1/2" pipe over them they seem to be a little smaller than 3/8" though. Also I am using a medium sized resovair and a 92 gal/hr submerged pump it is a Gourd micro deep-well pump model JN-134. The radiator has a 4" quiettech fan on it sucking air from outside the case into the case and through the radiator. It seems like its doing a good job and the radiator is cool to the touch. This keeps my cpu non-overclocked to about 38-40 celcius according to the mb temp sensors. Problem is the water comming out of my return line is flowing very slowly. I need help now what can i do to get better performance? Bigger pump? bigger radiator? more fan power on the radiator? :shrug: Maybe i need to shorten the lengths of my piping? I was using a very large 12" x 8" x 6" multi pass through cooper radiator with two large 5" fans and that only helped by 2-3 degrees celcius.

The picture of the large radiator is what i was using before i am now using the small internal one

Bugsmasher 11-12-2004 09:20 AM

Just a sidenote and not a solution but...

That smaller rad/hc has one heckuva lot of passes which has got to be a killer on flow rate. What was the reason for changing from the larger rad- ease of internal mounting? To use a rad/hc like that small one with that many passes you will probably need a pump with a really good head rating.

Unfortunately I couldnt find that pump on Google to determine the head rating on it but at 92 gal per hour its a pretty small pump. Understand that 92 gal/hour rating is with zero restriction which simply isnt the case in most standard watercooling loops. For example a 500 gal/hour Mag5 probably would see less than 1/3 of that 500 gal flow rate in a standard loop. With a 92 gal/hour pump without knowing the head rating I can only assume that is definitely not enough pump for the job. Stack on top of that the very restrictive rad/hc and....I still think its not enough pump for the job.

gompka 11-13-2004 01:22 AM

yes it is because that large one took up too much space and i am trying to do a totally internal water cooling system. The head rating on the pump is 68 gph with a 1 foot head.

gompka 11-14-2004 01:38 PM

Ok I am using the smaller radiator.... i shortened my tubing and I am using a gm 2002 impala fuel pump running on 5 volts. This is giving me better pressure than the other a/c pump. If i put the fuel pump on 12 volts it pumps 2x harder but i see only 1 degree celcius difference in the temperature. I am going to try to reapply my heatsink compound onto the water blocks and see if it makes a difference my temps now are between 38-40 celcius with cpu cool on and 46-47 celcius with cpu cool off. I am using an athlon xp 1300