View Single Post
Unread 08-20-2004, 12:07 AM   #81
Cathar
Thermophile

Default Big Rad Results

I posted this at OCAU but thought that the guys here might be interested as well:

Also stuck a pair of Panaflo L1A's onto the radiator box to replace the old ThermalTake fans, for which they all seemed to have some "knocking" noise whenever I tried to run them at lower voltages.

You can see the L1A's PQ curve here:

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...pdf/fba12g.pdf

The Panaflo L1A's are quietish at 12V. If held in one's hand they are very quiet, but when mounted or sitting on something, transmit a fair out of bearing vibrational noise. I've mounted them very firmly inside my radiator box and this seems to have stopped most of their vibration. After running them overnight they seem to have quietened down a bit further - presumably just from breaking in a bit.

12v fan test

Anyway, at 12V on the pair of fans, sucking through the radiator, and runningBurnK7 @ 2.7GHz/1.90v, and the two Laing D4's also running at 12V dumping a combined ~32W of heat into the loop, I'm seeing the water temperatures stabilise at 2.3C above radiator intake.

At a rough guess of the CPU dumping ~80-90W of heat into the loop at this level, I'm roughly estimating that the radiator C/W is sitting around the 0.019-0.021 mark, which for a pair of low-speed low-noise fans I feel is a pretty good achievement, and certainly good enough to consider using fans like the Papst 4412FGL's even at lowered speeds for the ultimate in silent but powerful radiator based cooling.

7v fan test

At 7V, the L1A's are very weak, pushing at best about 40CFM and at best 13Pa of pressure at no air-flow. Certainly a whole lot weaker than Papst 4412FGL (about 2/3's the strength). You can see the Papst fan range's PQ curves here:

http://www.dangerden.com/images/fans/papst_spec.pdf

Water temps have stabilised at 3.4C above in radiator intake temperature.

This works out to a C/W of around 0.028-0.031.

So what's this all tell me (apart from that the radiator cools excellently even with very weak fans and very low noise)?

Extrapolating from what I'm seeing it tells me that it should be possible to build a purpose built PC cooling radiator that is:

~16x16cm in size for the core
14FPI
1" thick in the core
single pass
coupled with a single Papst 4412FGL (26dBA fan) sucking on the core via a shroud

and achieve a C/W of slightly less than 0.05, for basically the equivalent performance of the Thermochill 120.2 using a pair of the stronger and noisier 4312L's.

i.e. a silent, compact, and high performing radiator solution that for a water-cooling setup with say a single pump and a hot overclocked CPU running most anything should never really see water temps exceed more than about 4C above ambient.

So how's that for a pointer for a step in the right direction for PC radiator improvements?

What I would REALLY love to see now is a case laid out like the Lian Li V1000 made with a cavity at the bottom to mount two such radiators side by side, being for the "average" water-cooler who would install a single radiator, and for the "nutter overclocker" who would install two radiators, all still in relative silence.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote