View Single Post
Unread 10-08-2004, 11:29 PM   #210
Edward Ng
Cooling Neophyte

Stew has given me the green light to let you guys see the pics I took.

I have shots of the block in both, Socket A and universal fit modes, as well as pics of the necessary bolts that DFI LANParty UT NF3 250GB board owners will need. The pictures are purposefully overexposed in order to bring out the detail in the delrin parts.

Please note that my block was sent out before the discovery was made of the land grid array 775 issues, so my block's base has not had the necessary portions adjusted to properly fit LGA775 boards, and is completely flat.

Now, on with the pics--clicking on a picture on this post will bring up the full resolution version of the image. Please check out the full resolution shots!

SocketA, bolt-through mode.

Universal-fit mode.

Universal-fit, from underneath.

The contact surface;
please note, once again, that this is not the final bottom plate, as the final baseplate has portions cut out to clear capacitors and other components in the proximity of the LGA775 sockets. Keep in mind that even though it's not mirror-smooth, the murky reflection shows zero distortion, indicative of a flat surface, which is more important than cosmetically perfect smoothness.

Under the inlet and outlet.

Just the top plate, with 3/8" fittings preinstalled.

Underneath again, at an angle.

Top side of the middle plate;
the conical shape of the jet inlets, responsible for the acceleration of the fluid streaming in to the cups in the base plate, are visible.

Same shot, at an angle.

Underside of the middle plate;
the jet outlets are clearly visible; they actually run part way into the cups in the base plate!

Same thing, different angle.

The copper base plate;
notice the cups have small raised portions at the center for breaking up the dead flow zone at the center of the jettisoned streams; these little items supposedly make for a good portion of the Storm's improvement over Cascade.

Tilted.

Anyone else who wants to use the Storm G4 on DFI LANParty UT NF3 250GB boards will need bolts similar to these, which I got from Home Depot.

If you're having trouble finding these in your neck of the woods, let me know and I can pick up a pack of them and send them to you for $2.50+shipping. They cost me $0.89+tax/pouch, but Home Depot isn't exactly a five minute walk from me, my car isn't particularly easy on fuel, and I need to take out time from my extremely busy day to not only go to Home Depot to get them, but also to stop by the post office to send them, and both places tend to have substantial waiting lines. This is only the case for first batch orders; with the second batch and any batches after that, Cathar will have bolts like these sourced and included, marking the primary difference from what's included with my block, other than the new, LGA775-compatible baseplate.

-Ed

EDIT: Captions added. Cathar, please let me know if you need any of them changed or removed.

EDIT2: There have been reports of the pictures not showing up; if you have this problem, click here for the low resolution images, or here for the full resolution images. If it still doesn't work, "something error happens," with Earthlink's server, or the pathway between you and it, and I can't do anything about it. I checked my quota on my hosting and I've used less than 1GB out of 10 for my monthly limit, so I have no idea why it's acting up!

EDIT3: Please don't kill this mirror; try the first links first!:
Downsampled Versions (<600pixels wide)
Full Resolution Versions (Just cropped from the raw shots)

Last edited by Edward Ng; 10-10-2004 at 01:10 AM.
Edward Ng is offline   Reply With Quote