View Single Post
Unread 07-27-2003, 11:02 PM   #43
Althornin
Cooling Savant

according to my readings on the subject:
Quote:
The question then arises, how much survivability do we need? because the water is recycled through this system, does that mean we can assume that each cycle is a new "kill off"? Or that only the resistant bacteria remain?
has been answered.
Each cycle is a new kill off.

Ok, i had a huge math post typed up, but i figured, SCREW THAT - So i made some sweeeeeet ass excel file to do all the math for us.

Please look over my maths and look for any errors.
If you have any questions about what i am doing, ASK! I make mistakes, so i'd like to know what you guys think.

Anyways, let my give the results here:
For a system, using the 4 watt unit, with flow rates of 10 liters/minute, one liter total system volume, assuming 30% efficiency as per CoolRods recent post, we get:

% kill Off per Hour:

%kill Off per Day:

Now, given the max the Sterilizer is rated for, being 120 GPH and tank of 75 gallons, we get: 7.6 l/min and a 284 liter tank, we get:

% kill Off per Hour:

%kill Off per Day:

Now, this doesnt look so hot, eh?
Yet, manufacturer says this amount will be enough to "clarify" the water - those max values were not for sterilization, but for "Clarification".

Ah yes, these results also assume no growth during said time, so the real figures will be less. hwoever, as long as kill off is greater than growth, we win....
And, play with the file - tank size is a HUGE contributor to changes in kill off.

The EXCEL file:
UV Kill Off

Last edited by Althornin; 07-27-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Althornin is offline   Reply With Quote