Thread: Score!
View Single Post
Unread 12-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #23
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig
lookin good so far, one thing I wouldnt be doing is making that sherline contraption permanent, definately go for something much bigger, maybe get ahold of a HF head and motor maybe from a mill like mine from littlemachineshop.com

Jon
I can beef up the Sherline column. I plan on driling 2 more holes in the middle and 2 more holes at the top of the column and then bolting it to the 3"x3"x3/16" tubing and adding some gusets to the sides. That will easily make it stout enough for what I want to use it for and a hell of a lot better than the stock Sherline. Also I don't want to spend to much cash on this untill I know the table will work out. But I hear you. if the table works out well I will condider better parts. These will be removable.

I am disapointed to find the lead screws messed up with so much slop in them. Hopefully that can be adjusted out. If not the next best step would be converting it to Ball Screw (which I thought they were originally but only the Z axis was). Good ball screws are not cheap.

There is no way my little Sherline stepper motors will move that table as is. It takes a lot of force to move it. Maybe to much. Looks like someone may have over tightened the gibs some.

Here is a shot. Looks like a fairly easy conversion to ball scres though.

I am going to see what I can do with the lead screws before I do anything else.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote