View Single Post
Unread 05-27-2006, 12:16 AM   #132
Talcite
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: UV Light to Kill W/C Bacteria

Ok you don't HAVE to use UV to kill the bacteria do you? why not just raise the temperature sufficiently, like a normal tumble dryer? Ontop of that, You can use indirect UV light to kill the bacteria in the air before it hits the clothes, then spray the clothes down with febreeze antibacterial? or something like that.

Anyways, sunlight does make clothes fade, along with many other pigments. And UV light causes many polymers to break down after longterm exposure. In either case, direct UV exposure probably isn't a good idea. Any place the UV light can't reach, won't be sterilized. e.g. the inside of a shirt.

Perhaps you should rethink the concept? Ditch UV all together and just use typical ways of killing bacteria? (dry atmosphere, high heat, perhaps a chemical sterilizer?) If you're really ambitious, i've seen ultrasound used to sterilize in some applications. And of course theres always good old fashioned steam. UV light usually isn't good unless its for a liquid application.

And to think i'm going into poly sci... i really should have applied for engineering instead... i enjoy it so much more =/

Oh yes, before i forget. You should look into which wavelength of UV light causes what types of pigments to fade. If its a serious project, like 4th year final or something, then i say go the whole 9 yards.
Talcite is offline   Reply With Quote