View Single Post
Unread 12-16-2002, 11:37 PM   #29
bowman1964
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Natedog
Bowman- in your project thread you mentioned having to change the length of the capillary tube when you changed to from R22 to R502. Would I need to do that also? If I could get ahold of R22 or R502, which one would you recommend?
well to start with i am at home so the cap locks are off.at work i use caplocks.
i want to just apologize to everyone here.
as my favorite saying from star trek the (needs of the many out way the needs of the few)
and i shouldnt have gotten mad at anegima.i know how he talks and i was stessed.my one replay caused alot of fighting back and forth.so as you can see .................................................. .......
the needs of this forum should allways outway the needs of any one individual.so again i am sorry..

now back to question at hand.ok i am using r502 now and it isnt all it is cracked up to being.it takes a very strong condensor to handle the excess heat from the r502 and compressor working.r502 is getting to be extreemely exspensive.i am lucky and a friend of mine works for another company had a full 30lb container for $175.00 so i scooped it up.i normally would would pay around 300 to 500 us dollars depending on the season of the year.
so i would get it charged with r22.this is usally cost a certified tech about $50.00 to 75.00 a bottle but they will mark it up of couse.a easy swap.just recharge and go.
now the question on capillary tubbing.yes if you go from r12 to r22 or r12 to r502 you need to change the capillary lenght to keep the same watts of cooling.since r22 is more effecient and boils at a colder temp it take less to do the same job so you lengthen the capillary to reduce the amount of refridgerant you send to the evaperator.but for you i would leave it along since you need a little more flow to get you some lower temps

now on the r290 or propane.i will not reconmend it or put it down because of the one reason it isnt the easyest thing to fool with.and i never want to hurt anyone acidently by misreading me on using it.now i might would use it but i am a only responsable for my own actions.this isnt to say it isnt a good refridgerant because it is. for the money very hard to beat.

now let me clarify why i am putting a stance on r290 and not pushing its use.last week for instance in one of the forums i was in. i hear a young man who was pretty smart, but he wanted to make himself a phase change unit.now i found out later he was only 11 or 12 years old.this worries me.does anyone know what could happen to this yound man if he takes his dads propane cylinder from the grill and trys to use it on a hobby.for one he might just open it up in his bedroom for instance and not knowing breath enough to knock him out or even kill him if the room is small enough.or heaven forbid it causes a explosion in his small bedroom.this worries me because my som is that age and i know how reckless he is so.
i hope every understands why i wont tell people to use it.a adult is fine i have no problem with someone using it with the proper care .it is a great refridgerant but too many bright kidds stay in forums and dont get told how danderous some stuff is.
custom r502 cooling unit

3D2001SE 21315

3DMARK03 6659
bowman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote