View Single Post
Unread 12-16-2002, 05:23 PM   #15
aenigma
Immature Title Goes Here

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
First off, the caps are because Bowman types from work (sometimes) from a caps locked keyboard; no insult intended.

2: R134a is not compatible (oil wise) with R12/R22, and in fact, if you mix both oils, you may create an acid. R134a is a good option (although not as good as R22), but as Bowman stated, it will require "most excellent" cleaning, for the reason above. It is usually best to start from scratch, instead of switching from R22 to R134A. (Google for horror stories)

3: license: you can order one online, but it'll only give you access to some refrigerants (see |Punisher|'s thread).

4: Bowman is our most respected phase-change member, and he has more experience with it, and has achieved colder temperatures than anyone else you'll find (LN2 excluded).

5: an A/C tech can't know everything about everything, simply because they will usually end up working with only one or two refrigerants. If you want an engineer, google. A tech will however be able to tell you the do's and don'ts of a particular setup, as far as the refrigerant is concerned.

Aenigma/Mr Baz: if you were really concerned, you would have stated why R134A is not a good substitute for R12/R22. Also, flushing the compressor is NOT a proper way to clean out an R12/R22 system for an R134A upgrade. Also, you failed to mention that R290 is propane, and that it's best to use it in combination with something else, like R134A, especially for someone starting to experiment.

Some of these refrigerants are available at auto part stores.

Natedog: let us know where you're headed!
Wow nice misinformation.

R134a isn't compatible of course, but it can be flushed out VERY easily.How often do you work with this stuff?How often do you use POE in place of mineral oil?Thats what I thought...

Punisher?Ok I will just ignore that thank you very much.
An a/c tech only knows what he needs to know to work on air conditioners.Thats it, just talk to some of them sometimes.
By the way bowman said he was in the field for 20 years, yet he said he wasnt working with it, he has just been around it.When your just around it, you usually learn more as it is not a job, but a hobby.

Yes of course bowman is your respected phase change guru/gawd he is the only one that posts here, and he knows his stuff.But he isnt getting the lowest temperatures.For instance I have already had cascade and 2 stage split level systems going...
But he is definately getting impressive temperatures.

Ok you don't know why r134a isnt a good refrigerant?Lets take a look at its remarkable boiling point, a whopping -25c.R290 is -42f, cheap, easy to get.Plus it will not explode, I am always working with it.If you know what your doing, and your not a total idiot, you will not have any problems.You do NOT mix it with anything.I will say again, it is very easy to flush a compressor.

You know, just because you are sheltered and only post here, does not mean that bowman is the only one that knows about refrigeration.Why don't you just check out phase-change.com forums?

Mr. Baz:
I agree, R22 is damn good if you can get it, but R290 is better for practicing, hands down.Why practice with an expensive hard to get refrigerant when you can get propane very cheap and easy?I don't know what these people have against propane...

Oh yes by the way, what refrigerant do you guys use in your direct die systems?You recomend R22 like it is at the corner grocery store, when in fact you need a license, and where I am, it is $150 for a 30lb tank.

[H]opelessly
 Altered
 Results
 Destroy
 Overall
 Credibility
 Period

Last edited by aenigma; 12-16-2002 at 05:35 PM.
aenigma is offline   Reply With Quote