View Single Post
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #66
Cathar
Thermophile

I have no problems with seeing/using polycarb/pmma/whatever clear plastic for the middle plate either.

The Delrin middle-plate was a necessity for the Storm for engineering reasons alone. Has nothing to do with structural integrity, and everything to do with reliably machining the intricate jet array. The jet tubes would snap/crack/splinter occasionally with the clear plastics. The increased cost of the delrin was easily offset by the increased productional yields (100% yields with Delrin if I don't count tool breakages destroying pieces). Again, that's a cost benefit equation contingent upon the design in place.

The top-plate was Delrin mostly for appearance reasons to match the middle plate, and also because from the outset I wanted a classic black and silver appearance since the block wasn't going to have a "glossy" clear plastic top.

I do have to say though, I like Delrin in waterblocks only because I've yet to see a single failure from it. It is tolerant to most chemicals that people use, including alcohols, and I've yet to ever see it crack. It's the best plastic I've ever used from an engineering point of view, but it is pricey and I wouldn't recommend using it if there was no real need.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote