View Single Post
Unread 09-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #67
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscal
PMMA is absolutly not a problem in this case. Middle plates don't have any constraints on them, no threads, etc. Just a sandwich between 2 others plates, no risks to break it in any manner (I got one in my hands, thx Bruce)... A lot of people use acrylic in WB, reservoirs or others products with no problem (me too and never got problems even with lot of constraints with conical barbs near plate edges). There's so much kind of plastic that you can't make a global statement like "use Delrin instead of acrylic, it's better", this is BS because it depends of the context. I believe this madness about Delrin on US forums (generally) comes from Cathar with his Delrin Storm plate, no ? Is everyone should use Delrin now and copy him ?? No way to do such, good for his design but not an obligation. Use polycarbonat like Makrolon if you want another plastic, virtually unbreakable but a bit pricey, quality has always a price.
exactly David... but there's common misconception about acrylic / poly due to a totally unrelated issue... People remember hearing cracking issues with acrylic / poly which is totally related to tapping threads for barbs, and directly jump to the conclusion that acrylic / poly is bad for all uses... which is stupid ofcourse...

Actually I got polycarbonated mid plates made as well. But since cracking issues of threaded holes on poly tops happened more commonly, I thought people would react against poly and decided to go with acrylic instead lol

Cathar also used polycarbonated mid plate on the Cascade, and I never heard of a single complaint about it.

Like he explained it himself, use of Delrin for Storm mid plates was due to necessity for engineering reasons... Good for his design

Last edited by dacooltech; 09-02-2005 at 11:10 AM.
dacooltech is offline   Reply With Quote