View Single Post
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #127
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Part I: When bad things happen to good motherboards - northbridge hoops tore out

One morning I go down into my workshop to grab a few things before I head off to work, only to discover that my northbridge block (aquacomputer twinplex) had fallen off the board. Upon further inspection, it had ripped out and took the mounting hoop with it!!

This where it used to live.

So after some solder-sucking action, I was able to force a new hoop, made out of the legs of a safety needle, through the board. I soldered the new hoop in place and left the excess sticking out and up like so.

Then I slid a piece of prototyping circuit board over the legs (copper contact side up, of course.)

Then I folded the legs over on themselves (which required a bit of force since they're steel) and soldered them closed.

There's no FRIGGIN WAY that the block can pull these out.

Part II: Better living through acyrlic (reservior)
This is not your typical reservior. It needed to supply a 3/4" outlet barb for my pump, and combine the 4 smaller loops. It mounts vertically, so in most of these shots, it's sitting on it's front - the part that faces the front of the case.

The two sides (front and back) of the reservior that I designed a few posts back, with the 'inspection port' covers placed.

IPS Weld-On #4: Strong in 15 minutes, full cured in 48 ours. Awful smell.

Syringe w\ 18 gauge needle to apply the weld-on. Weld-on is capilliary cement, meaning it draws it self into the joint through capilliary action. Remember kids, I'm a professional

All glued up. You can see around the edges where the plastic has melted and welded together.

The side wall pieces were laser cut, but the laser left a bit of a kerf, and as you can see the edges are not at a 90 degree angle from the sides, as indicated by the arrows.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote