View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

"submerged" is the key word.

The above is an ASME spec for nozzles. There's a 10 degree taper on the inside lip, and I believe that it may be for air, but I could be wrong. Either way, it should work fine.

I also believe that the ASME spec should reduce the length of the nozzle (entrance to outlet) to a minimum, instead of randomly applying a curve: one must remember that the longer it is, the more restrictive it will be.

In Radius, I was looking at a huge pressure drop, when considering a 3/16 nozzle size, but I made the calculation as an estimate, by calculating the pressure drop over 1 inch of 3/16 tubing: one inch would be too long, my pump couldn't push that kind of flow through it.

The pic in the first post would be the absolute worst kind of nozzle, as it would indeed spray the coolant everywhere. The desired effect is straight down, for jet inpingement.

In going over the ASME specs, I found that the outlet pressure can be expected to be 80% of the inlet pressure. In an orifice plate (flat piece, drilled straight), the pressure differential can range from 60 to 80.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote