View Single Post
Unread 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #1352
sgt.baker
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Hack a Snap Sever 1000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_Snap
blue68f100: from your FAQ it looks like I need a newer firmware to install a 160GB HD - I tried downloading the latest from Adaptec and hit a roadblock as it wouldn't accept the serial no. - is BT my only choice?
Funny, I've always believed that the 1000/1100 required an HDD to boot from. I've been under the impression that the 1000 had a STPC process and the v2 had the Intel processor on the board. As long as I've worked on these I've never run across one that didn't require a drive to boot. Others, i.e. older Meridian 2000's or 4100's, don't require a drive as they boot off of the BIOS then 'pivot' to the first drive in the system (private partition).

It's sad as when Quantum had these units, then Snap! Appliances before/after, the OS's were free upgrades up to the 3.4.790 release. Adaptec should simply release the OS for these older units to the community.

Anyhow, Mikey, the fans are thermally controlled, so they may not spin when powered up. Personally, as hot as these little units get, I pulled the connectors out and put them into the back of the 4 pin molex and keep the fan running 24/7.

As for the drive upgrade, I was only able to get larger drives in the "Intel" version of the 1100. 3.4.805 seems to be a good revision to get if you can find it. Never played with the >4.xx series in an 1000/1100.

Doesn't anyone use the Snapup32 software to push the OS to the drives? This is what we used with the units after putting them into FLUP mode via the reset button on the back. Snapup32 would 'broadcast' the .bin file across the network to any unit on the network. Naturally, you'd be on your own little 10/100 LAN for doing such a thing, or using a cross-over cable to do it. Hell, we used to rip the .bin files out of the .sup files if we didn't have the .bin's.

...food for thought!
sgt.baker is offline   Reply With Quote