View Single Post
Unread 06-28-2003, 02:12 AM   #65
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

I don't have solid data to back it up, but I still think the top is better, though it probably doesn't make much difference.
Quote:
sevisehda: Cooling by the top the heat has to travle through either some kind of sealent or air then through a thin sheet of Al or steel this is far less efficent. The top and bottom are also normally much more uneven than the sides normally.
Most of the drives I've dealt with had a really flat cover (I agree the controller side is irregular), and while some have had smooth sides, several have had bosses that the drive mounting screws went into, but otherwise were recessed. A drive like that wouldn't have much more direct contact area than a CPU.

The cover is normally Al, and is thinner so as to offer less conduction resistance. The primary heat produced by a drive is supposed to be air friction on the spinning platters, so IMHO the most effective cooling tactic would be to chill the largest single flat surface that contacts the air. You could almost think of it as a backwards CPU - hot air hitting the Al top cooler, dumping it's heat which is then carried away by the copper block.

However I think Bladerunner has the right idea in that it doesn't matter all that much which area you cool.

Quote:
BladeRunner Sorry M8 but I do get a shit load of e-mail and have to work through it when I can ,
No prob, just didn't know if it had gotten lost in the shuffle or not.
Quote:
Thanks for the bug report, but I can't find anything wrong? Are you still getting problems
I tried it just before starting this reply, and in the one case I tested, I'm still having the same problem. The work-around is a bit of a nusiance but isn't that bad, so normally I've just been using it rather than doing the problem sequence.
Quote:
as I didn't totally understand your mail as there are no "next page buttons"
My mistake, I was working from memory and got that part wrong. Here is the sequence I used which produced the problem.
1. Start @ your home page. Click on 'Projects' page button (from left side menu)
2. Scroll down to Enermax PSU project, click on page 1 button.
3. Read page one, click on 'Page jump' "2" in the block at the end of the page.
4. End up on home page (NOT Page 2!)
Interestingly enough, the link shown in the browser window is "http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/?request=liquidenermax550w&page=2"
which certainly seems to suggest the correct page, but I still got the home page.
OTOH, if I click on each page number in the block on the project page, I get the correct page. However I just noticed (funny what doing back to back tests will show you) that the link is different:
"http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects.asp?request=liquidenermax550w&page=2"
I don't speak fluent URLish, but could this be the problem?
Quote:
anyhow it seems to work fine my end so if you are still getting issue what browser are you using?
I run OPERA 6.03 (Linux, ad supported, version) on Linux RH 7.2 Usually I open lots of pages in seperate windows which is one of the reasons I love Opera so much.

Hope this is useful, If it is, buy me a beer some time (When I do commercial beer, I drink Guinness, though it's a tad on the light side )
ART