Unread 11-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #47
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Happy that info is presented.
Always been a poor experimentalist, and now being slightly physically limited
However always hope pure data
Les, I do know where you're coming from, although I do get a little frustrated sometimes with the perennial suggestions from you that I'm making this stuff up as I go along.

I'm happy to admit what's extrapolated/estimated vs what I measured. I am also aware of the variance of pump heat output as the flow rate changes. I chose to measure with a Cascade in the loop to provide a single value that I could use. Yes, it does not strictly apply, but in what I measured for the various pumps it offers a pretty good mid-point between stupendously blocked flow (trickle) vs open-flow, with those extremes varying by around 10%, and at most 15% from the values I measured with the Cascade in the loop by itself.

I don't have the time, or really the exacting equipment, to generate detailed heat vs flow graphs, so yes, I did compromise here and settle on a catch-all figure. Even given the heat vs flow variations, we're still only talking about 0.1-0.2C variations at the absolute extremes of the flow rate ranges for the >50W pumps, from what would be calculated given the simplified "mid-point" heat transfer figure.

Last edited by Cathar; 11-05-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote