View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2005, 09:59 PM   #116
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Part II: Bezel paint prep

Before everything can get painted with toyota carbon blue metallic, it has to get primered,

and something has to be done about the holes created by the setscrews holding the front

bezel plate together with the rear bezel plate. First things first, sanded with 400 grit so

the plastikote high-build flexible primer sticks... what can I say, the stuff rocks!

A bit hazy, but it's a good thing -- the primer needs to stick.

Bondo'd set screw holes - soon to disappear.

Closeup, as well as bondo on the seam between the front and back plate.

Hanging for easy access to paint everything. Tip: don't paint outside after dark,

the bugs like the light, which is near your work, and get their dumb asses stuck in the

primer. they can be plucked out with a fine set of tweezers, and the mark they leave can be

sanded out easily in the primer. Still, avoid it if you can. PS: Tiki torches don't work

on them.

All dry, 2nd coat of high build.

Orange peel anyone? -- easily taken care of.

A bit of a drip, can be sanded out.

Smoooth...

...and just barely reflective after a 400 grit wetsand (I can't tell you how long this took,

jeeze!). Primer, wetsand, primer, wetsand, primer....

Part DCLXVI: Don't anger the bandsaw

Oops!

Done while cuting a new pump mount from 3/4" 6061 Aluminum. Crap! Fortunately, it didn't

whack me in the face, hands, or other parts of my body when it snapped.

Part III: Radeon 9800 Pro + AC Twinplex

Since I'm going over to small-bore stuff to cool my additional components, I ditched the

danger den VGA block in favor of an AquaComputer Twinplex. The mounting hardware is

non-standard, primarly due to the fact that AC's supplied (well, I bought it used -- Thanks

Dr. Fibbles!) was a bit small for my taste. The mount is standard operating procedure:

threaded rod with a bolt on one end and a thumbscrew on the other, and a few washers here

and there to prevent the PCB from shorting out. Sexy, aint it?

Mounting close-up.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote